Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ED E wrote: »
    Then you're legitimately not FTTP, they don't want to shoot their own foot over the costs of the MSAN sitting outside the door.

Ideally a bonded VDSL pair with Supervectoring might be a good middle ground but AFAIK despite comreg/ALTO talking about it a lot its never been added as a RAP.
    Thanks Ed, is it possible to get a connection like that through any resellers or is there any sign of being able to do that even on the horizon, it'll be a long lease there so it would be sad to think there'd never be better internet!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Thanks Ed, is it possible to get a connection like that through any resellers or is there any sign of being able to do that even on the horizon, it'll be a long lease there so it would be sad to think there'd never be better internet!

As explained by others above: you're in a VDSL zone, so FTTH from OpenEIR was never going to be an option.

We do a bonded VDSL product (using multple VDSL lines), but you have to specificly ask for this, as we put these together custom as per customer request. The product will be cheaper than NGN though.

At the moment, the max is 100 Mbit/s per VDSL line with approx 5-10% loss per line, when we bond them.

Supervectoring speeds with up to 250 Mbit/s per VDSL line should be available before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

jimmbo wrote: »
    Can you record the BT and Eir channels on the Sky Q box or only view them?
    And are you using the Supplied Eir Router ?

You can record and I’m using the supplied Eir router.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

naughto wrote: »
    This is what I want mine for as well if I ever get it. It’s being rooled out in my area but of course Iam not on the list.
    It’s not like i play a sh1te load of games on the Xbox but I do like to download what I can.
    The new red dead game is saposed to be over 80gbs my connection at the minute is solid I get over what I pay for
    But it’s just not good enough for 80gb if I want it that evening

My son downloaded an Xbox game a while back it was 92gb Elder Scrolls On -Line It took him weeks to get it as our connection hits 5mb at it's best and drops up and down.
    He is really hoping the 300mpbs makes a world of a difference for gaming as the lag on some games makes them unplayable .

Just out of curiosity how many houses can be connected to the black DP boxes on the poles ..I ask as two houses within the area of my nearest DP are empty,One House the person passed away a few years back and the other never got to finish the house build!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Just out of curiosity how many houses can be connected to the black DP boxes on the poles ..I ask as two houses within the area of my nearest DP are empty,One House the person passed away a few years back and the other never got to finish the house build!

There are 13 ports for drop wires on the box itself but it is unlikely that the network configuration can support that many. If the second stage splitters are housed in the box it should be up to eight connections available.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Gonzo wrote: »
    this doesn't apply to new Eir subscribers, on both FTTC and FTTH it's cap/fup free for new customers.

Customers who are on contracts since before August or customers whose contracts run out are still on the 1tb limit because Eir don't really care about current customers.

I am a new customer and eir have a fair usage policy (so they tell me)....it was their device they plugged in to test my speed as i had been having problems

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There are 13 ports for drop wires on the box itself but it is unlikely that the network configuration can support that many. If the second stage splitters are housed in the box it should be up to eight connections available.

OpenEIR confirmed in a meeting, that theres only 4 ports per DP. They fit a second DP, when they want to use 8 ports.

I've actually seen plenty of places with 2 DPs on the pole.

/M

thehorse wrote: »
    I am a new customer and eir have a fair usage policy (so they tell me)....it was their device they plugged in to test my speed as i had been having problems

When did you sign up ?

Eir changed this on 25.07.2018 .... so if you signed up before then, you're on FUP alright. Page 3: https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf (check the bottom comment) This changes both on bundles and standalone products.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIR confirmed in a meeting, that theres only 4 ports per DP. They fit a second DP, when they want to use 8 ports.

/M

Really? I've never come across two on a pole.

• Advertisement

Really? I've never come across two on a pole.

- Just outside Oughterard, Co. Galway. Down the Glann Road.

- Quite a few places on the rural roads around Kinvara, Co. Galway.

- I think I've seen a few in rural south Sligo, too.

I'll take a picture, the next time, I come across one. But it was a specific question, that we asked them. And this was confirmed by the delivery team in OpenEIR, when we were in for a meeting on the NGA rollout.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

When did you sign up ?

Eir changed this on 25.07.2018 .... so if you signed up before then, you're on FUP alright. Page 3: https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf (check the bottom comment) This changes both on bundles and standalone products.

/M

I signed up back in April

/M

All single boxes on my road and to many houses marked as getting ftth for the amount of boxes if only 4 per box? 6,7 or eight would make more sense or is it first come first served?
    I have not seen any doubles in my area.

- Just outside Oughterard, Co. Galway. Down the Glann Road.

- Quite a few places on the rural roads around Kinvara, Co. Galway.

- I think I've seen a few in rural south Sligo, too.

I'll take a picture, the next time, I come across one. But it was a specific question, that we asked them. And this was confirmed by the delivery team in OpenEIR, when we were in for a meeting on the NGA rollout.

/M

I wasn't doubting you. It just seems rather wasteful when the boxes seem to be able to house multiple splitters. I'm not even sure how it woukd work from a cabling point of view so I'd be interested to see a picture if you can get one.

All single boxes on my road and to many houses marked as getting ftth for the amount of boxes if only 4 per box? 6,7 or eight would make more sense or is it first come first served?

There should be more than enough capacity with the boxes deployed.

thehorse wrote: »
    I signed up back in April

So you're an old customer then :) And yes, the limit applies to you.
    I wasn't doubting you. It just seems rather wasteful when the boxes seem to be able to house multiple splitters. I'm not even sure how it woukd work from a cabling point of view so I'd be interested to see a picture if you can get one.

I should be up in Oughterard again in the next few days. I'll take a picture of the one I saw there then.

/M

There should be more than enough capacity with the boxes deployed.

Actually .. there's clusters, that they've maxed out already. They have currently 133 copper exchanges on which they've marked clusters as "not available", but where they are passed.

Of those I think 8 or 9 are due to build-problems. Some may be faulty splices or faulty DPs. But the majority are simply, that they already exhausted the allocated DPs.

This happens in cases, where for example the same premise (eircode) was supplied with 2 or 3 FTTH lines as there are multiple tenants or appartements.

They only calculated with 1 line per premise. With an uptake of 20% that should work out the finest. But in some places, they either didn't even have 1 line per eircode or they simply calculated wrong.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Actually .. there's clusters, that they've maxed out already. They have currently 133 copper exchanges on which they've marked clusters as "not available", but where they are passed.

Of those I think 8 or 9 are due to build-problems. Some may be faulty splices or faulty DPs. But the majority are simply, that they already exhausted the allocated DPs.

This happens in cases, where for example the same premise (eircode) was supplied with 2 or 3 FTTH lines as there are multiple tenants or appartements.

They only calculated with 1 line per premise. With an uptake of 20% that should work out the finest. But in some places, they either didn't even have 1 line per eircode or they simply calculated wrong.

/M

What are their options in cases such as those?

What are their options in cases such as those?

They should have spare fibers on the rollout. But the issue can also be, that all ports on the OLT in the exchange are exhausted.

So worst case scenario, adding another OLT.

If there is space on the existing OLT, start a new cluster with another fiber and add more DPs.

Either way, it means having to invest more. Which is unlikely to happen until the current build is finished. It just means that there actually is premises that are in the rollout, are eligable to get FTTH, but can't get it because the capacity is exhausted in terms of ports.

Same as with DSL. When the DSLAM is full, the DSLAM is full. Where i live, i got the last 3 VDSL ports in the local cabinet :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Well, our available for order date is the 15th August.

Meantime, there are three visible joints in the fibre still needing to be done back towards the exchange.

Seems there will definitely be some slippage.

• Advertisement

They should have spare fibers on the rollout. But the issue can also be, that all ports on the OLT in the exchange are exhausted.

So worst case scenario, adding another OLT.

If there is space on the existing OLT, start a new cluster with another fiber and add more DPs.

Either way, it means having to invest more. Which is unlikely to happen until the current build is finished. It just means that there actually is premises that are in the rollout, are eligable to get FTTH, but can't get it because the capacity is exhausted in terms of ports.

Same as with DSL. When the DSLAM is full, the DSLAM is full. Where i live, i got the last 3 VDSL ports in the local cabinet :)

/M

Won't the network have been designed to fully cover each exchange area in terms OLT capacity and cabling? I'd be hugely surprised if they ever needed to add an OLT.

I believe they are using Huawei MA5800 OLTs. Even in it's smallest configuration the X2 there are 32 GPON ports so 1024 premises. There are also X7 (112 ports), X15 and X17. I'm not sure which version they are using, perhaps different sizes for larger and smaller exchanges.

https://e.huawei.com/en/products/fixed-network/access/olt/ma5800

h
    Won't the network have been designed to fully cover each exchange area in terms OLT capacity and cabling? I'd be hugely surprised if they ever needed to add an OLT.

I believe they are using Huawei MA5800 OLTs. Even in it's smallest configuration the X2 there are 32 GPON ports so 1024 premises. There are also X7 (112 ports), X15 and X17. I'm not sure which version they are using, perhaps different sizes for larger and smaller exchanges.

https://e.huawei.com/en/products/fixed-network/access/olt/ma5800

Most of OpenEIR are MA5600, as far as what I've heard (and what we've seen from some funny behavior on OpenEIR circuits). SIRO are on MA5800.

I was just listing the possible causes. The shortages either come from lack of capacity in the clusters and DPs, that they've planned for and they're not really good at adjusting for more capacity throughout the rollout, where needed. The numbers in the rollout clearly show, that they don't have the man power to even deploy, what they need to do to meet the numbers.

So, my best educated guess is, that instead of re-allocating sources, they're listing the areas as "full" until they can attend. The other issue would be bad splices, cabling issues, bad joints and maybe faulty DPs. That's clusters on 133 exchanges so far. Nevermind the ones, that they screwed up last month, which are not correctly tagged yet.

There's also already been quite a bit of a damage to the network, that has been fixed (temporary or permanent) in whatever way they could on short notice. Castlegregory started out with being pushed back over a month, then had a fiber break within a month of going live.

Also .. planning wasn't executed too well either. I've seen clusters of 10-15 houses left out with DPs present, but no documentation. So it's all very rushed.

You sum all of that up, and I'd say they're struggling to meet their targets ... badly .. never mind fixing the breakage along the line.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I asked the KN installer doing ours and he said one box could do 8 houses.

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

fritzelly wrote: »
    Eircode needs matching up to the line, takes a dayish but they can't do it so has to be passed to someone else.

6 days later (less Sat & Sun makes 4 working days) and still not available.

Not that I expected a lot better ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Thanks Martin. My connection was due to be available for order from tomorrow and is now showing 'Currently no ports available'. What's the typical waiting time from this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Still no movement on Ballinaboola, Wexford. Black boxes went up over a month ago, haven't seen any work happening since. :(

Thanks Martin. My connection was due to be available for order from tomorrow and is now showing 'Currently no ports available'. What's the typical waiting time from this point?

It really depends on what the problem is. Can you PM me your eircode and I can have a look at what it may be in your case.

There are issues with the build out on some of the Kildare exchanges.

For the Narraghmore one they quoted 3 weeks (of which one week has gone thereabouts).

You're on the Naas exchange, but it's more than likely, that it's similar issues and the same timeframe. If nothing gets fixed in the next 3 weeks, I'd contact whatever provider you're ordering from to get a more precise timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

There are issues with the build out on some of the Kildare exchanges.

For the Narraghmore one they quoted 3 weeks (of which one week has gone thereabouts).

You're on the Naas exchange, but it's more than likely, that it's similar issues and the same timeframe. If nothing gets fixed in the next 3 weeks, I'd contact whatever provider you're ordering from to get a more precise timeframe.

Not too bad. I've waited long enough, so another few weeks won't kill me...
    Thanks Martin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement