Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

There are issues with the build out on some of the Kildare exchanges.

For the Narraghmore one they quoted 3 weeks (of which one week has gone thereabouts).

You're on the Naas exchange, but it's more than likely, that it's similar issues and the same timeframe. If nothing gets fixed in the next 3 weeks, I'd contact whatever provider you're ordering from to get a more precise timeframe.

Hi Martin,

I'm getting this message also. Corrandulla exchange which you did say was delayed by a week. Would this be a normal thing to see if it's delayed by a week?

eap8a1.jpg

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

I'm getting this message also. Corrandulla exchange which you did say was delayed by a week. Would this be a normal thing to see if it's delayed by a week?

Corrandulla was originally announced for 8.8.2018. So a week would mean, that they should clear that tomorrow or the day after. Orders will hopefully process by Monday.

The data you're looking at is from today, so yes: it would basically be flagged as temporary not available until they have fixed the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I had installation booked yesterday .K&n engineer arrived after 4 pm and had a quick look and said firstly because my lines were underground they have to have 2 men to lift the heavy duty covers up from the box on the roadside and then said my distribution point is connected to a pole down the road and it's too far to rod. So now my distribution point needs to go to a nearer pole fed to the box underground and into my house. Is this a load of bull**** or would he be genuinely telling the truth. I thought the boxes on the poles we're to service houses across the road as all houses on my side are fed inderground. Might be wronging him but it looked to me that he had no notion of even trying to install and it was only a survey call to see what needed doing. Still cost me a holiday from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

codie wrote: »
    I had installation booked yesterday .K&n engineer arrived after 4 pm and had a quick look and said firstly because my lines were underground they have to have 2 men to lift the heavy duty covers up from the box on the roadside and then said my distribution point is connected to a pole down the road and it's too far to rod. So now my distribution point needs to go to a nearer pole fed to the box underground and into my house. Is this a load of bull**** or would he be genuinely telling the truth. I thought the boxes on the poles we're to service houses across the road as all houses on my side are fed inderground. Might be wronging him but it looked to me that he had no notion of even trying to install and it was only a survey call to see what needed doing. Still cost me a holiday from work.

Afternoon appointments are generally a bad idea as they will want to go home at 5. Does your existing phone cable come underground from the pole where the DP is or does it come overhead to a nearer pole and then underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

All of those things could be true except maybe the DP location
    As for going home at 5 - heard a story last week of a tech who was on the job til nearly 9pm, customer singing his praises

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    All of those things could be true except maybe the DP location
    As for going home at 5 - heard a story last week of a tech who was on the job til nearly 9pm, customer singing his praises

Some may be more dedicated than others!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First of all:

- needing 2 people to lift the cover sounds like a lot of b*****. If that's the case, they need some more training. I've seen a one armed OpenEIR engineer lift them on his own. Just a matter of how you do it.

- the DP being too far from the manhole is also a lot of b*****. All OpenEIR manholes / underground installations are in rodding distance from each other. That's how they build them.

- also .. they would have had the information if it was over ground or under ground before they even attended. Even the providers and whole sales partners have that information. (both the distance and what type of installation)

It sounds to me, that it was a lad, that just wanted to go home.

As being said by others: never ever book an afternoon installation. If they have delays on the AM ones, your installation falls out at the bottom.

/M

The 2 man job is a regular excuse for the manholes/rodding.

The 2 man job is a regular excuse for the manholes/rodding.

The problem is: excuse. With SIRO, every job is treated as a 2 man job. So Actavo can't send 1 man on the job in the first place.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thanks to those kind folks at Airwire and their availability check, I've been keeping tabs on what's happening at my Eircode in North Kerry. For the last two or three weeks it said that ftth was going to be available on 8th August, and even as far as the 7th August update, 8th August was the date given.

However, on checking the 14th August update it now says "There are currently no ports available". What does this mean exactly in the grand scheme of things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

When fibre is installed, will my phone number line come over that, or will they keep the copper line open?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Thanks to those kind folks at Airwire and their availability check, I've been keeping tabs on what's happening at my Eircode in North Kerry. For the last two or three weeks it said that ftth was going to be available on 8th August, and even as far as the 7th August update, 8th August was the date given.

However, on checking the 14th August update it now says "There are currently no ports available". What does this mean exactly in the grand scheme of things?

It means, that there is probably a delay on your exchange. You're not by any chance near Finuge ?

/M

When fibre is installed, will my phone number line come over that, or will they keep the copper line open?

It depends on who your landline is currently with and which company you order FTTH from. If it is eir in both instances I believe that they will leave the landline on copper unless you specifically ask for VoIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Marlow wrote: »
    It means, that there is probably a delay on your exchange. You're not by any chance near Finuge ?

/M

Less than few miles away, but if the Listowel exchange also covers Finuge, then we must be sharing the same problem.

I think we're jinxed here, and once upon a time we were in the shaded area for Listowel and FTTC. We then discovered that we weren't going to get FTTC. Some time after, a village beyond us got high speed broadband, and we've been stuck in the middle getting a max 5Mbps, waiting for Eir to get their finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

It depends on who your landline is currently with and which company you order FTTH from. If it is eir in both instances I believe that they will leave the landline on copper unless you specifically ask for VoIP.

On eir, and moving to eir ftth

Thanks

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Less than few miles away, but if the Listowel exchange also covers Finuge, then we must be sharing the same problem.

Finuge was to be enabled this month, but there is a 3 weeks delay on that one, as the build is not finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

For the Narraghmore one they quoted 3 weeks (of which one week has gone thereabouts).

You're on the Naas exchange, but it's more than likely, that it's similar issues and the same timeframe. If nothing gets fixed in the next 3 weeks, I'd contact whatever provider you're ordering from to get a more precise timeframe.

Any updates on Cloghan Co.Offaly ? Lots of activity in the village over the weekend.Eir were clueless when I spoke to them earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Hi Martin.
    As a matter of interest, does the Narraghmore situation affect Calverstown, or is that separate? I'm asking on behalf of someone else. It is showing as available on Airewire, but not on Eir.

Any updates on Cloghan Co.Offaly ? Lots of activity in the village over the weekend.Eir were clueless when I spoke to them earlier today.

2 weeks haven't gone yet. We won't get any more updates until we're past that.
    Dero wrote: »
    Hi Martin.
    As a matter of interest, does the Narraghmore situation affect Calverstown, or is that separate? I'm asking on behalf of someone else. It is showing as available on Airewire, but not on Eir.

That's because our data is updated much more often than Eir retail. They get the same data as what we get. We update every week. If it's showing as available then we can order it. If Eir doesn't want the business, that's up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

Has anyone else ran into this problem

So my installation of FTTH was organised for today K&N called and they checked the DP and said there is "No Light" at the DP so they could not install.
    Has anyone else ran into this problem and how long did you have to wait for the DP to get a light :-).
    Sickened as I took the day off work to help the guy run the cable through the attic.

• Advertisement

Could be fixed in a week or 2 or months
    Depends what the issue is.

Could be fixed in a week or 2 or months
    Depends what the issue is.

I don't know if you'd have access to such information but could you hazard a guess at the percentage of installs that are failing? A breakdown of failure reasons would be nice.

There are a lot of failures due to no light (probably the number one reason for failed install follow by blocked ducting), usually a patching issue/faulty equipment. More likely the patching issue when its a large area of the same issue and there are many of them going on months. But I wouldn't have access to the finer details of it - think only OE would have those figures and not likely to release them.
    Think there's only a coupla guys sorting these problems out!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    Has anyone else ran into this problem

So my installation of FTTH was organised for today K&N called and they checked the DP and said there is "No Light" at the DP so they could not install.
    Has anyone else ran into this problem and how long did you have to wait for the DP to get a light :-).
    Sickened as I took the day off work to help the guy run the cable through the attic.

Thats a fear I have, but more worried about if my ducting could be blocked .
    Im hoping if they don't get a light that I can at least get them to see can they rod the ducting as if it is blocked I could try and get something sorted before their next visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Afternoon appointments are generally a bad idea as they will want to go home at 5. Does your existing phone cable come underground from the pole where the DP is or does it come overhead to a nearer pole and then underground?

He said it comes overhead and then underground. I got a call from Eir and didn't get a choice of morning or evening. Just told between 9 and 5. He said he would put it through the system and 2 man crew will be out prob 7 to 10 days. Got call from Eir then today saying September 14 deadline but could be before.

He said it comes overhead and then underground. I got a call from Eir and didn't get a choice of morning or evening. Just told between 9 and 5. He said he would put it through the system and 2 man crew will be out prob 7 to 10 days. Got call from Eir then today saying September 14 deadline but could be before.

That sounds like he's sent off for a survey to change the DP/get a new one installed hence a 5 week forecast. That could be bad news and definitely wont happen in the next week or so.
    How far are you from the current DP?

The choice of AM or PM appointment is when you initially ordered. And to be honest, if your sales guy didn't give you that option, then that's very poor form.

Because this option exists.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The retail ISP only has AM/PM to select. Depending on work type thats means you're one of two or one of four per slot. Maybe more when KNN FLMs are on a push.

Prior to UG jobs went out as "when it suits them" and were then booked to 2hr slots when the technician inevitably missed them.

The choice of AM or PM appointment is when you initially ordered. And to be honest, if your sales guy didn't give you that option, then that's very poor form.

/M

Not always, sometimes it will only give an all day appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It exists, but later on in the process waterfall. A CSR is meant to call back to arrange that after order acceptance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement