Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    The retail ISP only has AM/PM to select.

AM, PM or all day. But "all day" is really as bad as "PM". Though I reckon PM is the worst one can choose.
    It exists, but later on in the process waterfall. A CSR is meant to call back to arrange that after order acceptance.

Well .. as a provider, if you are using UG, you can pick it during the order process. When you initially order the connection. You can also .. at any given time before the actual installation rebook for another time, as long as it's 5 work days ahead. With the choice of AM, PM, All day also here.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've been skimming but I think we're talking Eir here, if so everything's done through their billing platform (SBR6) so the level of abstraction muddles and delays things :rolleyes:

I've been skimming but I think we're talking Eir here, if so everything's done through their billing platform (SBR6) so the level of abstraction muddles and delays things :rolleyes:

Mjaeh .. if it's Eir and they're not giving their sales guys those options in their ordering tool, then that's another example of bad customer service.

It's bound to fail.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Marlow do you have any data on the percentage of failed installs for your orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Marlow wrote: »
    Mjaeh .. if it's Eir and they're not giving their sales guys those options in their ordering tool, then that's another example of bad customer service.

It's bound to fail.

/M

They have the option but sometimes it will only give all day as an option - that could be because they have booked so many appointments for the day and then add a few on to cover for failed installs/cancellations.
    It tends to be the appointments that are less than 7 days ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Well as expected I had a wonderful start to my new account with Eir.

I Ordered last Thursday the 9th for install this Thursday 16th.

Something in my mind Today told me I should ring to confirm only to be told there is no booking sorted as I should have rang them back straight away when I didn't get a confirm email.

I wasn't told that I would get an email as I was told it was booked in for Thursday!
    I would have been left waiting in my house Thursday all day!!

I went nuts on the phone saying that its booked full stop and asking the person to play back a recording of my order and she would hear that a date was set.
    She told me that it was indeed booked in for Thursday but there must have been no install spaces left and it was not the fault of the sales girl I ordered from but the fault of the System!

She said there was no spaces left Thursday and she would try get Friday 17th but with no guarantee.

Two minutes after hanging up I got a text and email confirming a install date for this Friday 17th... I wonder should I trust THE SYSTEM??

Marlow do you have any data on the percentage of failed installs for your orders?

Haven't come across any fails for no light so far since November 2016. (i count that as luck).

Exchanges not being ready after they're supposed to be released for order tends to happen quite often.

If that happens, it can take 1-3 months to fix.

The majority of issues we face are "duct can't be found", "license needed due to roadworks etc.", "trees need to be trimmed", "customer not ready", "hoist needed", "traffic control needed". Approx 30% with repeat visit.

And well, 9 out of 10 visits scheduled for PM tend to fail or won't happen. We always advise against them because of it.

Lately the build out has been sloppy. Ivy has not been removed from poles or poles haven't been replaced that are dodgy. Those also require hoist. And there's only 1 per area.

/M

jimmbo wrote: »
    Well as expected I had a wonderful start to my new account with Eir.

Sometimes orders drop out of/rejected by UG for whatever reason and need to be manually processed - sounds like what may have happened here with her saying there was an appointment booked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Haven't come across any fails for no light so far since November 2016. (i count that as luck).

Exchanges not being ready after they're supposed to be released for order tends to happen quite often.

If that happens, it can take 1-3 months to fix.

The majority of issues we face are "duct can't be found", "license needed due to roadworks etc.", "trees need to be trimmed", "customer not ready", "hoist needed", "traffic control needed". Approx 30% with repeat visit.

And well, 9 out of 10 visits scheduled for PM tend to fail or won't happen. We always advise against them because of it.

Lately the build out has been sloppy. Ivy has not been removed from poles or poles haven't been replaced that are dodgy. Those also require hoist. And there's only 1 per area.

/M

Thanks. It just seems here, anecdotally, that the "no light" failure was becoming more frequent. Without knowing the numbers though it's hard to know if this is true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

fritzelly wrote: »
    That sounds like he's sent off for a survey to change the DP/get a new one installed hence a 5 week forecast. That could be bad news and definitely wont happen in the next week or so.
    How far are you from the current DP?

Ya that's was my feeling as well and I let him know that. I told him to stop telling me what I want to hear and be honest. Prob the nearest pole is approx 80 yrds to underground dp which passes me and goes apast my site. He wreckoned the rods would be long enough and that there is only one set per county. Hard to believe. Then he said they may have to put an underground dp outside my site. When I told him what I thought of that he started talking the week to 10 days horse****.

• Advertisement

Thanks. It just seems here, anecdotally, that the "no light" failure was becoming more frequent. Without knowing the numbers though it's hard to know if this is true or not.

I think it's very much down to, who has done the build and down to what areas it is. But over 5000 premises that were to go live this month are now not available as of today, which is an entire different problem.

/M

Sometimes orders drop out of/rejected by UG for whatever reason and need to be manually processed - sounds like what may have happened here with her saying there was an appointment booked

Sometimes orders in UG get stuck .. and cancelled off. And then you've got to rebook them from new.

If you're using another system, that relies on UG doing it's thing, then the order can easily fall through the cracks.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Might be more unavailable than that, judging on the number of connections / splices remaining to be made out our way, with a ready for order date of tomorrow?
    I think it's very much down to, who has done the build and down to what areas it is. But over 5000 premises that were to go live this month are now not available as of today, which is an entire different problem.

/M

AidenL wrote: »
    Might be more unavailable than that, judging on the number of connections / splices remaining to be made out our way, with a ready for order date of tomorrow?

Those 5000+ were more than likely exchanges, where they've completed the build, but never got the connectivity to the parent exchange in time or something the likes.

Listing 1200 lines as faulty on one exchange alone isn't just a small hiccup.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Sometimes orders in UG get stuck .. and cancelled off. And then you've got to rebook them from new.

If you're using another system, that relies on UG doing it's thing, then the order can easily fall through the cracks.

/M

I am really hoping it was just a once off hick up as I think I would lose it if I spend all day Friday waiting in the house and on the phone ringing Eir if they were a no show.

jimmbo wrote: »
    I am really hoping it was just a once off hick up as I think I would lose it if I spend all day Friday waiting in the house and on the phone ringing Eir if they were a no show.

Usually when that happens they follow up on the order (at OE) to make sure it progresses OK and doesn't happen again
    You would have to be very unlucky if it did happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

Could be fixed in a week or 2 or months
    Depends what the issue is.
    There are a lot of failures due to no light (probably the number one reason for failed install follow by blocked ducting), usually a patching issue/faulty equipment. More likely the patching issue when its a large area of the same issue and there are many of them going on months. But I wouldn't have access to the finer details of it - think only OE would have those figures and not likely to release them.
    Think there are only a couple guys sorting these problems out!

Seriously a couple of guys
    What do you mean by a blocked ducting?
    Surely if the cable is overhead and a DP installed they should be checking if there is a light at such DP before continuing
    "Blocked Ducting" I have mine rodded already with rope, I'm ready to go, but unfortunately Eir isn't

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    Seriously a couple of guys
    What do you mean by a blocked ducting?
    Surely if the cable is overhead and a DP installed they should be checking if there is a light at such DP before continuing
    "Blocked Ducting" I have mine rodded already with rope, I'm ready to go, but unfortunately Eir isn't

First visit is always a survey....
    There have been areas where people along the same run have had multiple tech visits (one after the other on the same day or following days) with the same issue each time

Don't know about the couple of guys - but it seems to take a long time to sort the exchange issues out.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Here's a question for someone with more experience than me;

I've just installed ducting to a different fibre DP than the house is mapped to, or so says a KN engineer. I've got an install in a few days.

If they actually turn up to pull the fibre through the duct, how much of a headache is this going to cause?

I've been told that the easiest way to get around this is cancel the account and signup to a new one.

Any ideas? OpenEir wont talk to me.

m99T wrote: »
    Here's a question for someone with more experience than me;

I've just installed ducting to a different fibre DP than the house is mapped to, or so says a KN engineer. I've got an install in a few days.

If they actually turn up to pull the fibre through the duct, how much of a headache is this going to cause?

I've been told that the easiest way to get around this is cancel the account and signup to a new one.

Any ideas? OpenEir wont talk to me.

Who told you to lay ducting to a different DP?

• Advertisement

Can you PM me the eircode and the number from the DP, that you laid your duct to ?

I should be able to tell if there is a problem or not.

/M

Who told you to lay ducting to a different DP?

KN Engineer. To be fair it did make my life a good hundred times easier.
    Can you PM me the eircode and the number from the DP, that you laid your duct to ?

I should be able to tell if there is a problem or not.

/M

Sent. Thank you, ya hero.

Sent. Thank you, ya hero.

So the DP you referred to as your "old" DP is the one, that your Eircode is associated with in OpenEirs database. That's the one they expect your FTTH connection to be wired to.

If it needs to be reassigned, that means that whoever you order from needs to get OpenEIR to re-assign it. I'm not too sure, how easy that's going to go down.

/M

Will KN pull the wire through if its not the right DP Marlow?

Will KN pull the wire through if its not the right DP Marlow?

I'm not sure. Haven't come across that scenario before. I guess it depends on how far the 2 DPs are from each other. If they are near enough eachother, I don't see the problem. It's not uncommon to have to string across 3 or 4 poles to get to a house. Anything within 150m seems acceptable.

/M

I'll get an answer for you on Thursday I guess. They are about 50 - 75m from each other. One is pole, other is chamber. The underground work from one pole to the chamber is full, so can't pull from one to the other is the one thing the KN guy said.

To be fair i'm in Donegal too so if I slip the man a few bob he will probably do whatever I want him to do. Up the wild north west.

Sound for the quick replies at half 12 at night. Eir would suit themselves a lot better giving yourself a job to deal with their forums than some of the clowns who read off a script over there.

Sound for the quick replies at half 12 at night. Eir would suit themselves a lot better giving yourself a job to deal with their forums than some of the clowns who read off a script over there.

They can't. :) And no, I don't work for them.

/M

Oh I get that. I knew that if you did work for them there was no way you would have been as helpful. I only wish that those who do work for Eir were as clue'd in as yourself.

Oh I get that. I knew that if you did work for them there was no way you would have been as helpful. I only wish that those who do work for Eir were as clue'd in as yourself.

There is a reason, that alternative providers to Eir exist :)

/M

• Advertisement

Off the top of your head can you recommend one that will do the same or better FTTH? 1TB caps are scary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement