Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

m99T wrote: »
    I'll get an answer for you on Thursday I guess. They are about 50 - 75m from each other. One is pole, other is chamber. The underground work from one pole to the chamber is full, so can't pull from one to the other is the one thing the KN guy said.

To be fair i'm in Donegal too so if I slip the man a few bob he will probably do whatever I want him to do. Up the wild north west.

Sound for the quick replies at half 12 at night. Eir would suit themselves a lot better giving yourself a job to deal with their forums than some of the clowns who read off a script over there.

I can't see them installing you on a distribution point that you're not meant to be on. The installer would be putting himself in disciplinary trouble by doing so unless he manages to convince Openeir to reassign you because of issues with reaching your designated DP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I can't see them installing you on a distribution point that you're not meant to be on. The installer would be putting himself in disciplinary trouble by doing so unless he manages to convince Openeir to reassign you because of issues with reaching your designated DP.

Yep. But seeing that the engineer pointed out to him, that his ducting is to the wrong DP, he might not be completely fallen on his head.

There is some hope.

I don't know how flexible Eir retails structures are to get this sorted though.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Hopefully the KN guy is willing to work around ourselves and just get the job done so we can work out the niggly bits with openEir at a later date. My fingers are firmly crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If he thought you should be on a different DP then it should have been changed, that's a failed install til the DP is reassigned

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Just wanted to say thank you to Martin from Airwire for calling me this morning, at 8.30 am , totally on the ball, on the day connections are ready for order with my installation date. Couldn't be any faster than that !

I can't recommend Airwire highly enough for the pre install communications, for going above and beyond, and for being responsive to any queries I had.

Service levels like this deserve to be rewarded with business, and I'm happy to be supporting a smaller proactive ISP.

Thanks to Martin, Tommy and John, everyone I have interacted with so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

^^^hopefully the smaller ISP’s will move to mirror Eir with removal of Caps to allow unlimited data.

I’d say there are a lot of eir FTTH customers itching to switch providers at earliest opportunity (better routers and customer service is reason enough).

Eir may have seen this trend already and got ahead of curve with new unlimited offer. Customers who would have switched are already taking out new contracts with eir.

Most will not need unlimited much beyond 1TB in the short/medium term but like the piece of mind on unlimited.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    ^^^hopefully the smaller ISP’s will move to mirror Eir with removal of Caps to allow unlimited data.

I’d say there are a lot of eir FTTH customers itching to switch providers at earliest opportunity (better routers and customer service is reason enough).

Eir may have seen this trend already and got ahead of curve with new unlimited offer. Customers who would have switched are already taking out new contracts with eir.

Most will not need unlimited much beyond 1TB in the short/medium term but like the piece of mind on unlimited.

peace of mind is definitely the main thing. Nothing more uncomfortable than watching the clock. I've yet to go over 1tb, but having the cap in place is just completely off putting. I was going to move to Digiweb because of the better modem but they still have a 1tb FUP/Cap so until they remove that, I'm going nowhere near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭rob808

Gonzo wrote: »
    peace of mind is definitely the main thing. Nothing more uncomfortable than watching the clock. I've yet to go over 1tb, but having the cap in place is just completely off putting. I was going to move to Digiweb because of the better modem but they still have a 1tb FUP/Cap so until they remove that, I'm going nowhere near them.
    They don't monitor it when my sister ask them about caps with Digiweb you should ring them and ask.

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    like the piece of mind on unlimited.

The Fritz!Box, that most providers provide actually has a real good bandwidth usage measurement tool, so that you always know, where you are at with your usage.

I'd just be very annoyed with a provider, that either doesn't give you any options or charges you automatically without your consent.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    They don't monitor it when my sister ask them about caps with Digiweb you should ring them and ask.

I know they are not as strict as Eir but they can cut your connection when you go beyond the cap twice in a few months. It's a matter of principle more than anything, I am not signing up to any contract that has a 1tb data limit, even if it is not strictly enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Gonzo wrote: »
    I know they are not as strict as Eir but they can cut your connection when you go beyond the cap twice in a few months. It's a matter of principle more than anything, I am not signing up to any contract that has a 1tb data limit, even if it is not strictly enforced.

I didnt go near them because of this, even though the sales person was like we don't really monitor you never know how things could go with them.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I didnt go near them because of this, even though the sales person was like we don't really monitor you never know how things could go with them.

If in doubt, I'll always go with what's in writing. They can change their mind any day. If it wasn't relevant, why is there a FUP in their terms ?

/M

I'd also like to see more ping and speedtest data from Digiweb connections before I'd consider moving to them. MBSnr is the only poster that I can remember on Digiweb and he/she is getting relatively poor latency compared to other providers that have been posted here.

Ping can be affected by many things, can't take just one test as an indicator.
    Just did a test and got 7ms to a Digiweb server - you would have to be getting really bad pings to affect anything.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ping can be affected by many things, can't take just one test as an indicator.
    Just did a test and got 7ms to a Digiweb server - you would have to be getting really bad pings to affect anything.

That's why I said I'd like to see more. You pinging a Digiweb server in a data centre in Dublin is no indication of what someone in Cork or Kerry on Digiweb would get pinging heanet or similar. You may not think it matters much but they are not really standout on anything, price, cap, latency etc.

That's why I said I'd like to see more. You pinging a Digiweb server in a data centre in Dublin is no indication of what someone in Cork or Kerry on Digiweb would get pinging heanet or similar. You may not think it matters much but they are not really standout on anything, price, cap, latency etc.

Unfortunately heanet don't list ping times (not that I could find anyway)
    Could always ask them for a few test servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

A friend of mine ordered same day as myself for install this Thursday in the same area from Eir and just like myself got no follow up email .But unlike where I rang and complained and then got a install date for this Friday he was told there was a 10 day period after order cooling period before appt could be issued and nothing in system yet !
    Is this Bull?
    Worried for my Friday install 

For ping, there is always the RIPE Atlas probes:

https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/?search=&status=&af=&country=IE

/M

jimmbo wrote: »
    A friend of mine ordered same day as myself for install this Thursday from Eir and just like myself got no follow up email .But unlike where I rang and complained and then got a install date for this Friday he was told there was a 10 day period after order cooling period before appt could be issued and nothing in system yet !
    Is this Bull?
    Worried for my Friday install :(

He's moving from a different provider so yes there is 10 days after to change your mind.
    He can/could call in and say I don't need 10 days

Marlow wrote: »
    For ping, there is always the RIPE Atlas probes:

https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/?search=&status=&af=&country=IE

/M

Are the numbers under the IPv4/6 the ping times? Can't see a way to filter by Digiweb

• Advertisement

Unfortunately heanet don't list ping times (not that I could find anyway)
    Could always ask them for a few test servers.

I just meant
    Pinging heanet.ie [193.1.219.81] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 193.1.219.81: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.1.219.81: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.81:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 5ms

Replace heanet with any Irish server. MBSnr is getting 20ms to Irish servers. Now it may be a fault and I'm doing Digiweb a disservice but if not why pay similar money for an inferior service.

Are the numbers under the IPv4/6 the ping times? Can't see a way to filter by Digiweb

Viatel / Digiweb are AS31122

https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/?search=31122&status=&af=&country=IE

Unfortunately, you can't see what type of connection it is. Only if the host of the probe as specified it.

/M

Not sure if I'm reading that right but those pings are terrible

Thanks I will inform him of that, Strange stuff going on with the orders.
    We both ordered last Thursday and given install date of this Thursday and neither of us received a confirm text or email and Im also changing provider but they seem to have been able to say I would be good to go for Friday instead as Thursday was a no go.
    He was told that they would send him on an appt date in a email he still has not received it yet that was 6 hours ago.
    When I asked him what date they said he would be connected he told me that they replied the date would be in the email ..
    I couldn't believe it a random date..
    Friday for me will either be very exciting or one very stressful day ...

Thanks I will inform him of that, Strange stuff going on with the orders.
    We both ordered last Thursday and given install date of this Thursday and neither of us received a confirm text or email and Im also changing provider but they seem to have been able to say I would be good to go for Friday instead as Thursday was a no go.
    He was told that they would send him on an appt date in a email he still has not received it yet that was 6 hours ago.
    When I asked him what date they said he would be connected he told me that they replied the date would be in the email ..
    I couldn't believe it a random date..
    Friday for me will either be very exciting or one very stressful day ...

Ok not sure whats going on there then - when moving provider there is a 10 day cooling off period where nothing will happen with the order except sit on the system. So not sure how you got an install date - maybe just a ill educated sales person and just automatically told you a 7 day install period.

Ok not sure whats going on there then - when moving provider there is a 10 day cooling off period where nothing will happen with the order except sit on the system. So not sure how you got an install date - maybe just a ill educated sales person and just automatically told you a 7 day install period.

Wow so do you think I might be just lucky to have got an early date?
    I hope that the confirmation email and this Friday date is real!
    I guess time will tell ...

Wow so do you think I might be just lucky to have got an early date?
    I hope that the confirmation email and this Friday date is real!
    I guess time will tell ...

If you got confirmation by email/SMS then they cancelled the cooling offf period and booked an appointment
    What was the content of the email - was it a proper HTML email or just a written text email?
    Who were you speaking with about the appointment i.e. which department?

Not sure if I'm reading that right but those pings are terrible

Do a search on AS47490 and compare.

One thing to consider is, that some of the probes can be on somebodies home network. But it gives a real life picture.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Do a search on AS47490 and compare.

One thing to consider is, that some of the probes can be on somebodies home network. But it gives a real life picture.

/M

Just to be sure (I've never used that site, for this anyway) but under the built-ins they are the ping times to the servers?

• Advertisement

Just to be sure (I've never used that site, for this anyway) but under the built-ins they are the ping times to the servers?

Yes. On a regular basis. IP of the probe is listed and IPs that are pinged are listed.

RIPE, who manages the European, Middle East and North African IP space, developed this to research the quality of internet in their areas, but it has turned out to a world-wide project.

Bit like a distributed sam knows box, but data being available to anyone.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement