Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you got confirmation by email/SMS then they cancelled the cooling offf period and booked an appointment
    What was the content of the email - was it a proper HTML email or just a written text email?
    Who were you speaking with about the appointment i.e. which department?

The new date was booked in by a girl in Appointments dept and I received a text and an email (Proper) two minutes after talking to her also the order in the My Eir app was updated to show appt date as 2018-08-17

email ...

Thank you for choosing eir fibre broadband. We are delighted to let you know that we will be installing it soon and we're looking forward to bringing our unlimited superfast broadband speeds to your home.

Your eir fibre broadband installation appointment is booked for:

Date: 17 August

To start between: 9am and 4.30pm

Account Number:

#

What happens next?

We'll send you a reminder text message and call 48 hours before to remind you about your appointment. If you live in an apartment or shared building, you might need to contact the management company to arrange access for our technician before they arrive.

Your eir technician will give you a call on the day to let you know when to expect him or her. We do some external work before arriving at your home so if you already have broadband it may be disabled for a short period of time.

The technician will then arrive at your home with your new eir fibre modem and set it up.

The technician will upgrade your phone connection for eir fibre broadband and will recommend the best place for your modem. If you decide to move it, new wiring is required and this will be run along the top of your skirting board.

The visit in your home might take a few hours but we'll ensure you're fully ready to use eir fibre and your new modem before the technician leaves.

Need to reschedule your appointment?

That's no problem at all. Simply give us a call on 1901 and we'll be happy to change it to a more suitable time. Please call us before 4pm the day before your appointment is scheduled so we can let our technician know in time. Make sure to have your account number handy to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

jimmbo wrote: »
    The new date was booked in by a girl in Appointments dept and I received a text and an email (Proper) two minutes after talking to her also the order in the My Eir app was updated to show appt date as 2018-08-17

Barring blocked ducts, no DP installed, no light at the DP, wrong DP, need 2 men, need long rods...you'll be grand!

Barring blocked ducts, no DP installed, no light at the DP, wrong DP, need 2 men, need long rods...you'll be grand!

HA HA Stop, I'm having sleepless nights as it is ..
    The ESB is due to pull the power tomorrow so I was worried about that, then chuffed that its Friday date now, then I didn't know where my duct in the house was so I was delighted to find that at the front door after tearing the house apart!

Now I have all this other stuff to worry about ...
    I nearly fell to the floor laughing when My neighbour said "Oh the fibre is Live when do they switch us over?" .... Not that easy this Fibre thing ....LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

What's the story with "lights at the DP". Is it possible to look up at a DP and actually see lights at the bottom of it, or is it inside somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Mr Velo wrote: »
    What's the story with "lights at the DP". Is it possible to look up at a DP and actually see lights at the bottom of it, or is it inside somewhere.

No it's not possible. The "light" refers to the laser light that is used to transmit data along the fibre optic cable. No light basically means no signal.

• Advertisement

No it's not possible. The "light" refers to the laser light that is used to transmit data along the fibre optic cable. No light basically means no signal.

I asked a KN worker a good few weeks back do they test them as they are installing he said they do and then I met the same chap a few days later and he told me they were finishing up testing the over all area and it was 100% ..We will see ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Haha.

I was out at a premise today, that so far has had 4 visit from KN. None of who managed to find the duct to the nearest pole.

It took us 5 minutes to rod through with a cobra reel and yes, no problems getting a pull rope from the ETU to the duct on the other side of the bushes of where the nearest pole is.

I sometimes wonder, where they find these guys ? The worst is, they don't even pay them peanuts. A busy KN guy makes more money than I do in a year.

/M

jimmbo wrote: »
    I asked a KN worker a good few weeks back do they test them as they are installing he said they do and then I met the same chap a few days later and he told me they were finishing up testing the over all area and it was 100% ..We will see ...

Obviously it's possible to test with the right equipment. You would not want to look down a live cable with your naked eye if you value your sight. I assumed they would fully test as well but the with the number of people posting here about no light I'm not so sure anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Marlow wrote: »
    Haha.

I was out at a premise today, that so far has had 4 visit from KN. None of who managed to find the duct to the nearest pole.

It took us 5 minutes to rod through with a cobra reel and yes, no problems getting a pull rope from the ETU to the duct on the other side of the bushes of where the nearest pole is.

I sometimes wonder, where they find these guys ? The worst is, they don't even pay them peanuts. A busy KN guy makes more money than I do in a year.

/M

I've had 5 visits from KN now and finally there is light at the dp. But 2 man job so another reschedule for next week. Very mixed opinions from the 5 different guys on if they can install into the room I need it in.

tuxy wrote: »
    I've had 5 visits from KN now and finally there is light at the dp. But 2 man job so another reschedule for next week. Very mixed opinions from the 5 different guys on if they can install into the room I need it in.

Well, the rules are clear, but some installers are more relaxed than others. There seems to be no clear rule book.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There's a structure preventing them from using a ladder on the gable end. Some say they can get a hoist to get access to it but some seemed like it was no possible.

tuxy wrote: »
    There's a structure preventing them from using a ladder on the gable end. Some say they can get a hoist to get access to it but some seemed like it was no possible.

Only one hoist per area. Often takes 1-2 weeks to get it scheduled. I can see why they would be reluctant to use the resource.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

So, my Eircode this morning is finally saying "Good news FTTH is available at your home" on the Eir site.
    So i phone them up to get options on an order only to be told they can't put it through as there are "no ports available" FFS, what the hell?

Mr Velo wrote: »
    So, my Eircode this morning is finally saying "Good news FTTH is available at your home" on the Eir site.
    So i phone them up to get options on an order only to be told they can't put it through as there are "no ports available" FFS, what the hell?

Fault or faults in your exchange area or build is not actually complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Installation appointment with Eir today in the morning. No call and a no show. Rang openeir and they said the DP wasnt active. How long am I looking for it to be enabled and is there anyway of tracking it ?
    Thanks

dar_cool wrote: »
    Installation appointment with Eir today in the morning. No call and a no show. Rang openeir and they said the DP wasnt active. How long am I looking for it to be enabled and is there anyway of tracking it ?
    Thanks

What result does your Eircode give on

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

What result does your Eircode give on

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

It says available. Was available to order on the 08th of August

Airwire's check was last updated on the 14th I believe so obviously they've realised between then and now that there's a problem. Your Eircode result may change in next weeks update depending on the issue. Marlow will be able to give you a more definitive answer but you could be looking at anything from a couple of weeks to a couple of months I'm afraid.

What exchange are you on ? Or PM me your eircode, if you don't know. I can see, what exchange it is.

/M

That's on the Delvin exchange. Parent exchange is Mullingar. So the data in the Advanced Prequalification (APQ) are correct.

Having said that, it does fail on UG, so they screwed something else up. It's something wrong in their database. Actually, that sounds like the issue they have on the Naas exchange.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

OpenEir are saying that 170K houses have been passed for FTTH:
    https://fibrerollout.ie/open-eir-passes-170k-rural-homes-businesses-fibre-home-ftth/

Just published yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

So they just didnt show or call because the DP wasnt active?

Ive an appointment for next friday and im pretty sure the DP isnt active as halfway into town the fibre is just hanging off a pole not connected to anything

So they just didnt show or call because the DP wasnt active?

Ive an appointment for next friday and im pretty sure the DP isnt active as halfway into town the fibre is just hanging off a pole not connected to anything

You're in Ballyshannon right? Are you along the same road as AidenL. On his route the distribution cable would be coming from the exchange underground then up onto poles and going back towards town. It's possible that DPs closer to town may not be ready while those further out are.

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    OpenEir are saying that 170K houses have been passed for FTTH:
    https://fibrerollout.ie/open-eir-passes-170k-rural-homes-businesses-fibre-home-ftth/

Just published yesterday.

There's the June 2019 date again. Unless they can significantly up their rate I can't see them even meeting that target. Another bad winter could scupper them totally.

There's the June 2019 date again. Unless they can significantly up their rate I can't see them even meeting that target. Another bad winter could scupper them totally.

35k premises since end of June. Of those over 6.5k have now turned out as not being ready.

So that's under 30k premises in 1 1/2 months. Boils down to an average of 20k premises per month at most.

And those figures do not include premises, that are listed, but are not ready for order, so shouldn't be included.

I don't see them meet that target, when they can't even meet the monthly targets.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

You're in Ballyshannon right? Are you along the same road as AidenL. On his route the distribution cable would be coming from the exchange underground then up onto poles and going back towards town. It's possible that DPs closer to town may not be ready while those further out are.

Ah right great, yeh just up the road from aiden. Cheers

Actually .. that report is interesting.

None of the problem exchanges are listed there. With the exception of Naas and Mullingar, who have live lines already.

Then again, the text says, it's up to June 2018. So they weren't problem exchanges at that point. Sneaky to release though figures end of quarter, then throw 17k+ new premises out on the next update.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Update on the wrong DP install:

The install failed. KN tech was extra sound about it. Helped me get ready for the actual install to go ahead.

Called openEir who said it would take a month to update!

Told them that couldn't be right. A few moments on hold and its now going to be 24 hours.

Was also told there isn't a 1tB cap anymore on the BB. Still think ill be changing providers.

Sound to all the lads who helped me out on this. Will keep it updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's always a month forecast date regardless - but changing DP should be painlessly quick.

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Actually .. that report is interesting.

None of the problem exchanges are listed there. With the exception of Naas and Mullingar, who have live lines already.

Then again, the text says, it's up to June 2018. So they weren't problem exchanges at that point. Sneaky to release though figures end of quarter, then throw 17k+ new premises out on the next update.

/M

Also if you add the county totals you get 193920 so they've included urban premises in a press release ostensibly about rural areas. Assuming they have close to 40000 (I counted 33511 here) that throws into doubt their 170000 figure. Smoke and mirrors come to mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement