Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

jimmbo wrote: »
    HA HA Stop, I'm having sleepless nights as it is ..
    The ESB is due to pull the power tomorrow so I was worried about that, then chuffed that its Friday date now, then I didn't know where my duct in the house was so I was delighted to find that at the front door after tearing the house apart!

Now I have all this other stuff to worry about ...
    I nearly fell to the floor laughing when My neighbour said "Oh the fibre is Live when do they switch us over?" .... Not that easy this Fibre thing ....LOL

Open Eir rang me today they are calling tomorrow will ring me half an hour before calling to the house,so looking promising :)

Marlow wrote: »
    35k premises since end of June. Of those over 6.5k have now turned out as not being ready.

So that's under 30k premises in 1 1/2 months. Boils down to an average of 20k premises per month at most.

And those figures do not include premises, that are listed, but are not ready for order, so shouldn't be included.

I don't see them meet that target, when they can't even meet the monthly targets.

/M
    Pm you there it has sent me a message your mailbox if full that you need to clear to receive a message from me ..Sorry if I send the message to you a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Pm you there it has sent me a message your mailbox if full that you need to clear to receive a message from me ..Sorry if I send the message to you a few times

My inbox is nearly always full. No harm either, means i can get limited PMs :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

So i got the wife out of the house for a few hours and got the skirting board off.

Chiseled down the wall and into the floor and no duct. It just goes under the floor in the hall under the pipes for the radiator.

No external box (house built 1999) and cant see overhead instal being and option.

Unless the duct miraculously stops just under the radiator pipes I'm screwed.

Appointment planned for next friday so ill see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

So they just didnt show or call because the DP wasnt active?

Ive an appointment for next friday and im pretty sure the DP isnt active as halfway into town the fibre is just hanging off a pole not connected to anything

Mine is next Thursday....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Q2 2018 figures are in from the DCCAE. According to the contract the target for Q2 was 44000 to bring the cumulative total to 214000. In reality they passed 29972 to bring the total to 175184.

This is now the third quarter in a row that they have badly missed their target. The winter storms excuse is not really cutting it anymore. Like KOR101 I'm starting to wonder if there has been a deliberate slowdown, whether to cause more issues with the NBP or just that the new owners don't really care for the project.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

The NBP map has also been updated with Q2 premises.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

This is now the third quarter in a row that they have badly missed their target. The winter storms excuse is not really cutting it anymore. Like KOR101 I'm starting to wonder if there has been a deliberate slowdown, whether to cause more issues with the NBP or just that the new owners don't really care for the project.

The new owners definatly don't care for the project. While this is hear say, I know one of the engineers working with anything fibre related based on the northern half of the Isle and a lot of projects have been cancelled off, where it wasn't needed or they weren't contractual obliged.

Obviously, the 300k they can't cancel off that easy.

I wouldn't say they deliberately are slowing things down. If at all, they pushed on ... as hard as they could. But they left so many loose ends to begin with that it's now hitting them hard. The storms were never really the issue. It's definatly a man power issue.

What the storms then do is, that they divert man power from the build-out to the repairs. But they know exactly the amount of manpower they need in these periods. That's been the same for decades. Ophelia hit hard in Cork and Kerry. But Limerick, Galway and Mayo just got the standard amount of damage. So it's just the scapegoat.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

You're in Ballyshannon right? Are you along the same road as AidenL. On his route the distribution cable would be coming from the exchange underground then up onto poles and going back towards town. It's possible that DPs closer to town may not be ready while those further out are.

I think there’s a split at the crossroads. I’ve walked the roads, checked the underground’s vs overheads, and I’ve a funny feeling there’s a lot of jointing to be done from over to under and so on.

Will know next week.

MartinL had a Monday appointment available for me but it didn’t suit.

I guess if my install,fails, it will alert them that they need to connect the lines back into town.

How do they manage to overlook that after a ready to order date anyway?

AidenL wrote: »
    I think there’s a split at the crossroads. I’ve walked the roads, checked the underground’s vs overheads, and I’ve a funny feeling there’s a lot of jointing to be done from over to under and so on.

Will know next week.

MartinL had a Monday appointment available for me but it didn’t suit.

I guess if my install,fails, it will alert them that they need to connect the lines back into town.

How do they manage to overlook that after a ready to order date anyway?

Any joints will generally be in a DP box so if you can see coils of cable you know there's work needed. I'm starting to question the quality control of the build. I don't know if it's because there are different companies doing different jobs but there seems to be a lot of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The new owners definatly don't care for the project.
    It's really just a question of limited options given the amount of debt and therefore the limits on capital expenditure. Eir simply have not revealed their hand in any way yet. There is no substance to what they've announced about their new urban focus. My guess is they are presently preoccupied with getting costs down.

But, they will soon reveal their hand because the NBP process is moving forward. I'm hoping that the Government dangle a sufficiently large carrot in front of them that they decide to take it rather than take them on when they are clearly so determined.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say they deliberately are slowing things down. If at all, they pushed on ... as hard as they could. But they left so many loose ends to begin with that it's now hitting them hard. The storms were never really the issue. It's definatly a man power issue.

/M

I don't know.

Q4 2016, Q1, Q2, Q3 2017 targets hit.

31st January 2018 eir withdraws from NBP

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-Withdraws-from-NBP/

Q4 2017, Q1, Q2 2018 targets missed.

Coincidence?

While I sit here dreaming of some sort of good broadband.
    Has anyone got the 300mbps speeds up and running with Eir if so what is the verdict on it, ie. what speeds is it hitting on downloads and upload and does it be fairly consistent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Has anyone got the 300mbps speeds up and running with Eir if so what is the verdict on it, ie. what speeds is it hitting on downloads and upload and does it be fairly consistent ?

Pretty much all reports and test show it hitting the full speed (or pretty much near to)

So if you order 300 expect to be getting near it.

Yeah I have 300Mb on eir. It's very consistent. I'll post some SamKnows data later. I'm on mobile atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have 300mbps with Eir, speeds are extremely consistent, always get 287 down and 49 up on speedtests.

Pings are incredible, about 1-3ms to Irish servers and 10-20ms on UK servers. Gaming doesn't get smoother than that.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I have 300mbps with Eir, speeds are extremely consistent, always get 287 down and 49 up on speedtests.

Pings are incredible, about 1-3ms to Irish servers and 10-20ms on UK servers. Gaming doesn't get smoother than that.

My Teenage son will be thrilled to hear that ,Loves the xbox online but as it is it can be a struggle for him with speeds :)

My Teenage son will be thrilled to hear that ,Loves the xbox online but as it is it can be a struggle for him with speeds :)

Get some floppy discs and tell him this is how we got internet in my day.

fritzelly wrote: »

I have a bag of 5 1/4" ones somewhere. Even multi-colored fancy ones. 3M the best.

/M

Ha ha Yes those were the days :)

Here is data for the last 30 days for download, upload and ping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Shiner1888

Jess that's pretty good in fairness, I have ordered the 150mb so I'm hoping I'll have similar results for that package.

Hats off to Eir investing in FTTH cause if we were to wait on the government we'd be dead and buried I think.:eek:

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    Jess that's pretty good in fairness, I have ordered the 150mb so I'm hoping I'll have similar results for that package.

Hats off to Eir investing in FTTH cause if we were to wait on the government we'd be dead and buried I think.:eek:

Yeah it's excellent alright. You should get good results on the 150Mb also. I probably don't even need 300Mb to be honest.

May not be hitting the 300 but very consistent around 285

May not be hitting the 300 but very consistent around 285

It's the way eir profile it with overheads. You won't see more that that really.

It's the way eir profile it with overheads. You won't see more that that really.

I wouldn't expect it to be 300 consistently but overheads shouldn't matter. If you have TV or anything that should be on top of it

I wouldn't expect it to be 300 consistently but overheads shouldn't matter. If you have TV or anything that should be on top of it

Most ISPs will factor extra bandwidth in for overheads. For example PPPoE can add a couple % of overhead. So the smart ISP would add a little bit for "niceness". To accomodate the "speedtest needle junkies" :)

OpenEir doesn't seem to have done this.

/M

I don't have TV. No-one here has posted an eir speedtest of exactly 300Mb or exactly 150Mb AFAIK. I've certainly never gotten one.

Oh .... and as for TV .. that should be out of band, if it's multicast. Haven't looked at in on OpenEIRs setup, but SIRO does it out of band. Not easily done on wireless or dsl, when you're maxing out and can't scale.

/M

Talking PPPoE I wonder if they will get to a situation where contention becomes an issue then?
    Or maybe they have a plan to add more servers if needed...

• Advertisement

Talking PPPoE I wonder if they will get to a situation where contention becomes an issue then?
    Or maybe they have a plan to add more servers if needed...

You can load balance that easily. But I think that's one of the problems that Vodafone sometimes is hitting.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement