Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Marlow wrote: »
    You can load balance that easily. But I think that's one of the problems that Vodafone sometimes is hitting.

/M

Suppose time will tell - probably hoping they don't have everyone streaming Netflix 4k but that's probably a few years away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    Suppose time will tell - probably hoping they don't have everyone streaming Netflix 4k but that's probably a few years away yet.

Actually not. It's happening right now. Bandwidth usage has gone 10-20 fold in the last 2-3 years.

You go 3 years back, the average family would have used 30-40 GB/month ... at the most.

Now the standard is around 200-500 GB/monthly. Low users are 60GB/month. A tech savvy family ? 800-1500 GB.

That's why the 1TB limit on the "bottom end" package is ok ... but not viable for power users.

/M

Meant as the other 600k or so users come online with fibre in the next few years and discover BB speeds they never thought possible - that will be the real tell
    I don't think we're anyway near hitting a crunch limit - from what I can remember of the last report anyway (that you probably posted)
    If half of those 600k were downloading 100GB average per month that's an additional 30,000 TB of data - thats a lotta data

Meant as the other 600k or so users come online with fibre in the next few years and discover BB speeds they never thought possible - that will be the real tell
    I don't think we're anyway near hitting a crunch limit - from what I can remember of the last report anyway (that you probably posted)
    If half of those 600k were downloading 100GB average per month that's an additional 30,000 TB of data - thats a lotta data

The advantage being that fiber can be scaled. You just replace the transmission gear. The fiber can stay in place. That's the costly part.

You can't scale with copper anymore. Or wireless.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Here is data for the last 30 days for download, upload and ping.

Excellent ,How about speeds wireless like on your smartphone around the house do they be down much lower than wired overall ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

jimmbo wrote: »
    Excellent ,How about speeds wireless like on your smartphone around the house do they be down much lower than wired overall ?

Wouldn't that depend on the location of the router, layout of house and even which smartphone is used. I can't see the info being much use to anyone else.

tuxy wrote: »
    Wouldn't that depend on the location of the router, layout of house and even which smartphone is used. I can't see the info being much use to anyone else.
    Yes Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The Edgerouter is very neat and supports POE so I didn't have to find power for the Unifi AP.

Just got my Ubnt Edgerouter setup with the internal VLANs I needed, I'm now getting download speeds around 700~800Mbps rather than 300~400Mbps from my Asus/Tomato setup which is nice :)

Wireless speeds have NOTHING to do with your broadband. That's entirely your own problem, your own gear and your setup.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Just got a call from kn. He was out my road and dp not live. So next fridays install is off.

Gave me a number for a guy that worked for kn last year, old friend of my dads thatll help with the duct issue.

Kn guy says hell email oe and the job will be raised again when dp is live

Tbh im kind of relieved that me passed me on to this guy to sort the duct issue and that i got a call in advance

Bad news for you aiden!

• Advertisement

Just got a call from kn. He was out my road and dp not live. So next fridays install is off.

Gave me a number for a guy that worked for kn last year, old friend of my dads thatll help with the duct issue.

Oh No did they give you an idea of when it would be Live ?
    I'm still waiting for a phone call for to come to install today.
    I was told yesterday On a phone call anytime they would be with me between 9am and 4.30pm and I would get a call half an hour before coming to me .. I wait in Hope.

I was told yesterday On a phone call anytime they would be with me between 9am and 4.30pm and I would get a call half an hour before coming to me .. I wait in Hope.

Said a week or a month who knows. But im not convinced theyd connected the fibre to town yet theres a roll of fibre hanging from a pole half way into town so I wasnt suprised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Dont get your hopes up. I called Eir today who told me to ring openeir as they are the ones who I should contact , so I called openeir who told me to ring eir. Bloody waste of space the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

dar_cool wrote: »
    Dont get your hopes up. I called Eir today who told me to ring openeir as they are the ones who I should contact , so I called openeir who told me to ring eir. Bloody waste of space the lot of them

Did they give you a number for openEir? They're not supposed to im pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

m99T wrote: »

Yes a 01-536 number

I assume openEir told you to squarely go and **** yourself?

You're never supposed to call OpenEIR.

Your contract is with your provider. Your provider has the contract with OpenEIR. So your provider needs to deal with OpenEIR. OpenEir have an obligation to them, not to you.

/M

m99T wrote: »

OpenEir appointments - not the wholesalers

OpenEir appointments - not the wholesalers

That's not even openEir then, that's KN isn't it?.

Update 2 on the wrong DP install:

DP is now changed! They want us to create a new account now with the new DP then they will complete the install.

I feel like we have gotten off easier than some.

I know they are really hard work ..Just got a call they will be with me at around 3pm ...Fingers Crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Yep, he rang me also, seems it could be weeks, he has no idea when as of now, but he’s emailing openeir.

I’m certain that there are three splices to be finished on the road.

More worryingly, he said he had seen a new rack at the exchange, but believes there’s no work done on it. That would be a far bigger problem?

Tbh im kind of relieved that me passed me on to this guy to sort the duct issue and that i got a call in advance

Bad news for you aiden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

AidenL wrote: »
    Yep, he rang me also, seems it could be weeks, he has no idea when as of now, but he’s emailing openeir.

More worryingly, he said he had seen a new rack at the exchange, but believes there’s no work done on it. That would be a far bigger problem?

A new rack with no OLT in it? That would be an issue alright! It beggars belief how they are releasing these premises as ready when they seem far from it. It seems to be happening all over the country so it's not just an isolated incident. The project management seems shoddy at best.

Yeh hopefully that looks like the kind of stuff that can be done fairly quickly

Dont even wanna know lol

Im just happy he could give me the phone number to sort out my duct issue. He said he might locate the duct in the footpath at the house and install a small access cover to bring it into the hall or reroute it an bring it in the wall bedroom, which was what I originally was hoping for as a last resort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

More figures from the DCCAE.
    To date nearly 37,000 premises have been connected as part of openeir's Fibre to the Home high speed broadband service.

This is up from 30000 in the previous quarter. An average of 93 installations per day nationwide.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/latest-news/Pages/Latest-News.aspx

A new rack with no OLT in it? That would be an issue alright! It beggars belief how they are releasing these premises as ready when they seem far from it. It seems to be happening all over the country so it's not just an isolated incident. The project management seems shoddy at best.

The racks come prebuild, but they still have to be commissioned.

/M

The racks come prebuild, but they still have to be commissioned.

/M

Hopefully the KN guy was incorrect then. Is the commissioning a complicated procedure, or routine for the experienced?

Hopefully the KN guy was incorrect then. Is the commissioning a complicated procedure, or routine for the experienced?

The only one that can answer that is an OpenEIR technician, that deals with there FTTH platform, I'm afraid.

/M

The only one that can answer that is an OpenEIR technician, that deals with there FTTH platform, I'm afraid.

/M

Wait and see game then I guess.

Update 3 on the wrong DP Install:

Eir rep called me (Guy from CPM Marketing) he setup the original account and was sound enough about it. Sean Devenney from Stranolar/Ballybofey.

Offered to come out and setup the account again since the old one had to be deleted.

I guess it's a win win. The account isn't in my name so I dont have to be on the phone and the Eir rep is getting commission.

Looks like we could have fibre to the house by the 25th or so. Original order was the 31st of July. 25 days still isn't bad for FTTH. It probably helped that I was on the phone every day making sure progress was made.

• Advertisement

Update on my install:
    KN chap arrived at 3pm  Friday and I told him I had found my ducting point at the house front door he said it looked good from a point of getting the rod into it so he pushed the rod in and it popped up very fast out at the roadside pole.
    He then went two houses down from my home to see if the DP was working and reported back to me I was "Good to go".
    It took about less than two hours and I was up and running with a wired speed tested at 287/49.
    I was thrilled it went so smoothly ,We don't know ourselves with terrific speeds like this!
    Only thing I'm a bit confused about is the speeds coming form my TP Links only about 35mbps and capable of 1300mbps and when I cable direct to the router I get max speeds ..The TP links are direct to the sockets not a plug board and when I had my old 6 mbps speeds I was getting almost the full speed from them, I have tried them in different areas of the house with the same poor results.
    That said nothing is buffering or freezing with multiple items on at the same time,So i've no real complains just a bit baffled I even got a different Modem/Router to test and that was still the same ..Strange ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement