Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

jimmbo wrote: »
    ..Strange ?

Not really. Powerline networking is a fudge designed for those who can't or won't use proper Ethernet cabling. Glad to hear you got connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Those speeds you're testing ? Are they on 2.4 GHz ?

2.4 GHz is swamped. Baby monitors, bluetooth, whatever.

Start with channel 13. Not sure, if your router has a frequency analyzer.

Best to test on 5 GHz for full speed.

If you have the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, change them, so you can select, what frequency you want to use.

Then test again. Speedtest to either Blacknight (Carlow) or Airwire (Galway) speedtest server on speedtest.net .

Fast.com gives odd results recently and a lot of speedtest servers don't have enough bandwidth. Those two are on 10 Gbit/s.

And powerline adapters are evil. Ever wonder, why your powerline adapters stop working or are considerable slower, when your dishwasher, tumbler or washing machine are running ?? :p

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

jimmbo wrote: »
    Update on my install:
    KN chap arrived at 3pm  Friday and I told him I had found my ducting point at the house front door he said it looked good from a point of getting the rod into it so he pushed the rod in and it popped up very fast out at the roadside pole.
    He then went two houses down from my home to see if the DP was working and reported back to me I was "Good to go".
    It took about less than two hours and I was up and running with a wired speed tested at 287/49.
    I was thrilled it went so smoothly ,We don't know ourselves with terrific speeds like this!
    Only thing I'm a bit confused about is the speeds coming form my TP Links only about 35mbps and capable of 1300mbps and when I cable direct to the router I get max speeds ..The TP links are direct to the sockets not a plug board and when I had my old 6 mbps speeds I was getting almost the full speed from them, I have tried them in different areas of the house with the same poor results.
    That said nothing is buffering or freezing with multiple items on at the same time,So i've no real complains just a bit baffled I even got a different Modem/Router to test and that was still the same ..Strange ?

Great to know jimmbo - all that prep payed off
    As for the TP points, they can be temperamental and not always that great - could be just the wiring in the house or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

tuxy wrote: »
    Wouldn't that depend on the location of the router, layout of house and even which smartphone is used. I can't see the info being much use to anyone else.

Well my wireless speeds informed what package I chose in the end.
    With the standard gear in the attic of our bungalow I wouldn't get any more than 200 Mb down.
    As most devices in the house use wireless it didn't make any sense for me to pay the extra for the 1000 Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

long_b wrote: »
    Well my wireless speeds informed what package I chose in the end.
    With the standard gear in the attic of our bungalow I wouldn't get any more than 200 Mb down.
    As most devices in the house use wireless it didn't make any sense for me to pay the extra for the 1000 Mb.

You won’t get much more than 200mb on wireless as there are speed limitations on it. Even if you have the 1000mb package , you still will only get around 200mb on WiFi due to how it operates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I'd also like to see more ping and speedtest data from Digiweb connections before I'd consider moving to them. MBSnr is the only poster that I can remember on Digiweb and he/she is getting relatively poor latency compared to other providers that have been posted here.

Yes - I get around 15ms to Irish servers. It doesn't really bother me, as I'm unlikely to even notice, but I was a little surprised that it was that high. I'll post a few traces to inex.ie at some point. I did mention it to Digiweb tech support but they said it was normal.... So it seems that some Digiweb infrastructure is probably adding to the ping times. Perhaps this only exists in certain areas of the country with Digiweb, or anything West of the Shannon or it's just my exchange... :confused: Until others post, I won't know.

I can't complain about Digiweb's customer service though as I had to contact them on the first day as the 'ever efficient' An Post managed to deliver my modem to the wrong address (they didn't use the Eircode marked on it...). I then had to contact Digiweb again as OpenEir had my wrong address for the install - Digiweb told them the correct address and their systems seemed to have got a different address matched to the Eircode.

MBSnr wrote: »
    their systems seemed to have got a different address matched to the Eircode.

That happens very often. Their database is a mess in all fairness. The eircodes match to the correct exchanges, but the address can be in a complete different county.

As for the ping times, they seem to creep up, when the connection traverses quite a lot of OpenEIRs network before being handed over.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So, my eircode was not referenced to my existing landline, when I tried to order from eir about 10 days ago.
    End of last week I tried a chat session again, and this time I was told to ring eir and ask for Loyalty section.
    After going through the whole rigmarole of supplying full info to many intermediaries I finally got through to Loyalty.

There I explained the problem to a nice gent who immediately told me he could help.
    He did correct the database he says, but I have no way of checking as the eir system is down for maintenance. I fully expect he has done so.

Next I thought to order FTTH from this guy, and we went through a lot of details yet again, and finally he told me the price is €10 per month dearer than what is shown on the eir broadband page!

He told me that existing customers pay more (this from "loyalty team member" :) ) The offer on line is for new customers €45.99. He wanted me to sign up at €55.99

I declined, naturally enough.

Before I rang off he confirmed the eircode problem is fixed and that I had definitely not placed any order with him.

So, the saga continues.

I read posts some time ago about people signing up and getting billed at different rates to what they agreed.
    This might explain how that happened.
    He had checked with his supervisor before confirming the higher rate.
    He said it was determined by the marketing department.

I will post an update if I ever get this connection :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Finally have it installed after signing up 3 months ago.
    I was really lucky, I got one of the guys that had previously said the install would be easy. Most of them had said it wouldn't be possible to go overhead.
    He was fine with resting his ladder on the corner of the house and he got me to hold tension cable while he installed the cable across the road.

I only went for the 150mbit package with Eir. 5 ms ping, 144 down 29 up

Next I thought to order FTTH from this guy, and we went through a lot of details yest again, and finally he told me the price is €10 per month dearer than what is shown on the eir broadband page!

Well ... that is why you essentially only ever can go from the price-sheet when you compare providers and not from whatever offer they're running.

Because even if you get the cheaper price, they might just hike it half way through the contract as they did last year.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Well ... that is why you essentially only ever can go from the price-sheet when you compare providers and not from whatever offer they're running.

Because even if you get the cheaper price, they might just hike it half way through the contract as they did last year.

/M

What prce sheet is shown to a customer who is ordering on line or by phone?

The on line price is clearly stated for a 12 month period, and there is no mention of it not applying to existing customers.

Heck I foolishly thought that 'Loyalty' should mean that existing customers get a better deal than new customers, and not the opposite!

I see that the eir site has changed again.
    This is now showing
    Online price for new eir customers in their initial contract term

That seems to exclude existing, out of contract, eir customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

What prce sheet is shown to a customer who is ordering on line or by phone?

The on line price is clearly stated for a 12 month period, and there is no mention of it not applying to existing customers.

If you input your eircode on the checked on the eir website, it gives you the higher price if you are a current customer and a lower if you are not a current customer. I posted screenshots maybe two weeks ago

Sneakey feckers eir.

I can order on the website when I put my eircode in its €56, €65 or €80

Uz3xHbZ.png

When i got to incognito and dont put my eircode in its €46, €55 or €70

HfHVfeJ.png

I guess they check my eircode and realise im already a customer and change the price. I only moved to them in April to avoid an install fee

They must even record the last eircode I put in as when I click start again and dont put in an eircode it still has the higher prices

heres what i posted

heres what i posted

The web site has changed today

I guess I missed out on the lower price

Most of it is still down for maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Update 4 on wrong DP install:

Rang to confirm that the account was canceled with eir. I put the cancellation order through on Friday.

Turns out nobody ever canceled it. Thankfully someone from the connect team canceled it in 20 mins.

Eir rep signed up a new account for us. He also called the original KN installer and gave him the order number to pull the order and get it installed quick.

It's getting closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Update on my dp not being active
    Contacted EIR today and they said my dp is now active and the directory has been updated. So new date for next Monday has been set for installation. I wont hold my breath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've seen a lot of failed appointments today after the DP was supposedly checked last week and is now not active/no light

fritzelly wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of failed appointments today after the DP was supposedly checked last week and is now not active/no light

Came across a few. They certainly rushed last months figures without being ready.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Marlow wrote: »
    Came across a few. They certainly rushed last months figures without being ready.

/M
    At least they're interested enough to lie. :)

• Advertisement

Wow the F2000 has appalling wifi. I've plugged in my vodafone router to act as an access point at the moment and it covers my house without a problem. I'm not sure if vodafone will ask for this back.
    What do most people to, replace the F2000 or just plug in a wifi access point?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wow the F2000 has appalling wifi. I've plugged in my vodafone router to act as an access point at the moment and it covers my house without a problem. I'm not sure if vodafone will ask for this back.
    What do most people to, replace the F2000 or just plug in a wifi access point?

My white SLK200 is faster than my black SLK200....

Depending on which vodafone unit you have its either the same unit or a sister model, the performance delta should not be that significant. Manually pick the channels for both bands and see how you get on.

ED E wrote: »
    My white SLK200 is faster than my black SLK200....

Depending on which vodafone unit you have its either the same unit or a sister model, the performance delta should not be that significant. Manually pick the channels for both bands and see how you get on.

hg658c is the vodafone model. Much the same as the f2000? They do look similar.

I'm not sure if vodafone will ask for this back

Vodefone asked for the router back when i ended ny contract earlier im the year. Maybe a month or two later

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hg658c is the vodafone model. Much the same as the f2000? They do look similar.

F2000 = 659B, the newer variant.

Just got a call from "eir connections" telling me that the DP should go live sometime between now and 19th September and theyll call me to re book and appointment when it goes live

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Up to a month then, tallies with what KN said on Friday.

I’m sure that’s subject to slippage also.

Could be worse I suppose, could be in the NBP! 😳
    Just got a call from "eir connections" telling me that the DP should go live sometime between now and 19th September and theyll call me to re book and appointment when it goes live

AidenL wrote: »
    Up to a month then, tallies with what KN said on Friday.

I’m sure that’s subject to slippage also.

Could be worse I suppose, could be in the NBP! ��

Im three fecking doors from the NBP! so ill wait an extra month no problem lol

Gives me time to get the duct sorted anyway

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107839299&postcount=2499

As I said in the above post, I expected this saga to continue ..... and it has.

Now that the maintenance of the site seems to be completed I checked again today and found

1. Using my phone number I am offered FTTH at €55.99 per month

2. Using my eircode I get
    Fibre to the Home is not currently available at this address
    with an option to input my phone number for "other broadband solution".

So it is the complete opposite of what it was before it was 'fixed'. My eircode now fails and the phone number passes, for FTTH.

Ye couldn't make this up!

:D:D

I wonder who can avail of this €39.99 offer?

eir_bundle.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107839299&postcount=2499

As I said in the above post, I expected this saga to continue ..... and it has.

Now that the maintenance of the site seems to be completed I checked again today and found

1. Using my phone number I am offered FTTH at €55.99 per month

2. Using my eircode I get with an option to input my phone number for "other broadband solution".

So it is the complete opposite of what it was before it was 'fixed'. My eircode now fails and the phone number passes, for FTTH.

Ye couldn't make this up!

:D:D

I wonder who can avail of this €39.99 offer?

eir_bundle.png

I am the opposite, my eircode say FTTH is available and my phone number says it isn't :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement