Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am the opposite, my eircode say FTTH is available and my phone number says it isn't :D

That is the way mine was last week :D

I am unable to order that €39.99 bundle ...... the only offer I get, after putting in my phone number is for €55.99!

eir_bundle_2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I suspect the €39.99 offer is for FTTC (no installation fee mentioned). The cheapest bundle I get for FTTH in incognito mode is €45.99.

I suspect the €39.99 offer is for FTTC (no installation fee mentioned). The cheapest bundle I get for FTTH in incognito mode is €45.99.

Yeah, but of course they do not make that obvious ... not even implied!

The €45.99 is for new customers only.
    That is those people who currently do not have an account with eir.
    So much for loyalty to customers!

Those who have an account (even out of contract) must pay an extra €10 per month for the service, I have been told.

It really is almost unbelievable.
    Except it is eir it would be unbelievable!

So the only reasonable option I have apparently, is to cancel my service with eir, for phone and broadband (adsl) and then sign up as a new customer, saving myself €120 per year for the same service. (Unless of course they pull another fast one and charge new customers a higher connection fee :eek: )

Yeah, but of course they do not make that obvious ... not even implied!

The €45.99 is for new customers only.
    That is those people who currently do not have an account with eir.
    So much for loyalty to customers!

Those who have an account (even out of contract) must pay an extra €10 per month for the service, I have been told.

So the only reasonable option I have apparently, is to cancel my service with eir, for phone and broadband (adsl) and then sign up as a new customer, saving myself €120 per year for the same service. (Unless of course they pull another fast one and charge new customers a higher connection fee :eek: )

How much downtime are you likely to suffer as a result though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This is the same model the electricity companies use. I have to switch both electricity and internet every 12 months.

Most people won't go to the trouble of switching so once you are signed up they don't care about you. They then just target customers on other networks to try to increase revenue.

• Advertisement

How much downtime are you likely to suffer as a result though?

I don't know ...... maybe none?
    It takes 30 days for a cancellation to finalise I believe.
    I think it likely that a FTTH installation (barring access problems) would be done in less time, in which case there would be overlap of services.

What you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

What you reckon?

Any order from a wholesales partner to OpenEIR takes 5 days. Then on top of that, you could run into problems like: no duct, blocked duct, pole needed, hoist needed, etc. So getting FTTH can take anything from a week to 18 months. (yes .. that has happened, but not very often).

And you are probably only considered as being a new customer, once your cancellation is processed and your line is off.

Also, look it up, I believe there is a stipulation, that you need to have been "not" a customer for a certain period. I think it's a year. So you'd need to order the new line in somebody else name.

/M

I don't know ...... maybe none?
    It takes 30 days for a cancellation to finalise I believe.
    I think it likely that a FTTH installation (barring access problems) would be done in less time, in which case there would be overlap of services.

What you reckon?

As Marlow says it would be the time taken for cancellation until you could place the new order I'd be concerned about. Also have you confirmed that they will actually accept you as a new customer so soon after leaving? I don't know what their policies are but there could be something buried in T&Cs about minimum time needed until they view you as "new".

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Grimsvotn

Grimsvotn wrote: »
    I am currently awaiting FTTH installation but have been advised that work needs to be carried out on a blocked duct on the public road.

Have currently been waiting 7 weeks for this and am just being told no updates are available and to wait for further contact.

Has anyone had similar experience, or know of any way to find a real update or estimated turnaround time?

Now 6 months on from ordering FTTH from ISP and I am still awaiting installation :mad:

Marlow wrote: »
    Any order from a wholesales partner to OpenEIR takes 5 days. Then on top of that, you could run into problems like: no duct, blocked duct, pole needed, hoist needed, etc. So getting FTTH can take anything from a week to 18 months. (yes .. that has happened, but not very often).

And you are probably only considered as being a new customer, once your cancellation is processed and your line is off.

Also, look it up, I believe there is a stipulation, that you need to have been "not" a customer for a certain period. I think it's a year. So you'd need to order the new line in somebody else name.

/M

Duct was clear earlier this year .... was checked and re-buried. So no problem envisaged there. There is a 'cab' in the ground outside my site, so poles are not an issue ... the copper goes into that.

The other two potential issues could be problematic ......
    Does the line have to be dead before not being a customer?
    Does one have to not received a service from eir for some period before being a new customer?

I have not been told anything about either.
    I have not read anything about them.

If anyone can link to something relevant I would appreciate it.

• Advertisement

I give in :mad:

I will pay eir their extortionate rate for a fibre connection.

Hopefully I will be able to change provider at little cost with lower rates in 12 months time.

I give in :mad:

I will pay eir their extortionate rate for a fibre connection.

Hopefully I will be able to change provider at little cost with lower rates in 12 months time.

You do know, that you don't have to go with Eir to get the FTTH connection, right ?

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

14v63de.jpg

Corrandulla Exchange still showing no ports available. Supposed to go live on 8th August, and then a 1 week delay. :(

During a conversation with an eir team member they mentioned
    150 Mb/s
    300 Mb/s
    500 Mb/s
    1000 Mb/s

I queried it but was told yes it is available at that speed.
    Is this new, or maybe it is a business speed?

During a conversation with an eir team member they mentioned
    150 Mb/s
    300 Mb/s
    500 Mb/s
    1000 Mb/s

I queried it but was told yes it is available at that speed.
    Is this new, or maybe it is a business speed?

Eir could obviously just order a 1000 Mbit/s line and throttle it to 500 Mbit/s if they want to do that. No issue there.

But it's not in their price list at https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf page 3 ... so most likely porcupines.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

500mb is available but not everywhere

fritzelly wrote: »

How would you order that from OpenEIR, when they don't offer it ? Not a regulated product either.

Any areas you can confirm, that it's available in ? It's not in their price list.

/M

How would you order that from OpenEIR, when they don't offer it ? Not a regulated product either.

Any areas you can confirm, that it's available in ? It's not in their price list.

/M
    I say areas - I mean I have only seen it as an option for some people.
    It's probably part of the profile repackaging thats coming in or supposed to be

It has to be on the global price list for that though and it isn't.

And the proposed regulated packages that come in are 100, 200 and 400, but no 500.

/M

• Advertisement

Interesting, as it was offered to me.

It has to be on the global price list for that though and it isn't.

And the proposed regulated packages that come in are 100, 200 and 400, but no 500.

/M
    Well I can't see any reason to sell a throttled 1gb connection, it was only added in the past month or so

Well I can't see any reason to sell a throttled 1gb connection, it was only added in the past month or so

The only thing, that I can think of is, that it may be coming with the upcoming UG update this weekend.

Time to trawl proposal documents.

It's an oddball though. SIRO is 150, 350, 600, 1000. This would make OpenEIR 150, 300, 500, 1000.

/M

I should clarify - it is available within the eir software but its not being sold (as of yet)

I should clarify - it is available within the eir software but its not being sold (as of yet)

Ah .. throttled product so. Not available on UG. Or awaiting UG update.

/M

Double-checked that in the Q4 2017 and beyond roadmap. PCRL 306 deals with the new profiles. 100/20, 250/40 and 400/60. Nothing about 500. So it has to be a throttled 1G.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Double-checked that in the Q4 2017 and beyond roadmap. PCRL 306 deals with the new profiles. 100/20, 250/40 and 400/60. Nothing about 500. So it has to be a throttled 1G.

/M

Are not all FTTH packages throttled 1G (or throttled 2.5G really) or is there some infrastructural/equipment differences between the 1G and it's lesser offerings? Is profiling different to throttling?

Thanks

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    Are not all FTTH packages throttled 1G (or throttled 2.5G) or is there some infrastructural/equipment differences between the 1G and it's lesser offerings?

Yes, no, maybe :)

Cluster is 2.5 Gbit/s down, 1.25 Gbit/s up on GPon technology (per port on the OLT)

But the providers wholesale pricing is based on what profile you order. 3 profiles being available (150, 300, 1000).

So, if I as a provider sold a 500 Mbit/s, then I would still pay OpenEIR for a 1000 Mbit/s connection and just throttle it at the BRAS. The question is, if there is enough profit margin, to do this.

/M

Yes, no, maybe :)

Cluster is 2.5 Gbit/s down, 1.25 Gbit/s up on GPon technology (per port on the OLT)

But the providers wholesale pricing is based on what profile you order. 3 profiles being available (150, 300, 1000).

So, if I as a provider sold a 500 Mbit/s, then I would still pay OpenEIR for a 1000 Mbit/s connection and just throttle it at the BRAS. The question is, if there is enough profit margin, to do this.

/M

Is it in any way possible to buy a 1000 Mb/s connection and split it amongst two of your customers at 500 Mb/s each?

The question is about the technical possibility and not whether any agreement with openeir would permit it or not.

• Advertisement

Is it in any way possible to buy a 1000 Mb/s connection and split it amongst two of your customers at 500 Mb/s each?

The question is about the technical possibility and not whether any agreement with openeir would permit it or not.

Not unless you put an alternative connection in place between the two premises to carry half of the capacity. So .. not without a physical build not using OpenEIR infrastructure. Be that whatever it is (fiber, copper, fixed wireless)

Basically, if 2 neighbors wanted to share a Gbit/s connection half/half and build a connection between the 2 houses. Sure. But that's the only way.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement