Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭focusowner

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thought crossed my mind, cat detector is a mere £90 for a 1 day hire!

any luck finding the cable ?

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIR confirmed in a meeting, that theres only 4 ports per DP. They fit a second DP, when they want to use 8 ports.

I've actually seen plenty of places with 2 DPs on the pole.

/M

Incorrect

there are various different DPs all look identical

some will have primary and secondary splitters

some only secondary splitters you can have up to 2 secondary splitters in a dp meaning 8 homes max but i believe that is changing so possibly 3 secondary splitters meaning up to 12 homes

others will house no splitters and just be used as a splice point

if you are seeing 2 x dps on a pole its either
    A theres more than 8 houses within 150 metres radius
    B the second joint is for something else like a splice point for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

focusowner wrote: »
    Incorrect

there are various different DPs all look identical

some will have primary and secondary splitters

some only secondary splitters you can have up to 2 secondary splitters in a dp meaning 8 homes max but i believe that is changing so possibly 3 secondary splitters meaning up to 12 homes

others will house no splitters and just be used as a splice point

if you are seeing 2 x dps on a pole its either
    A theres more than 8 houses within 150 metres radius
    B the second joint is for something else like a splice point for example

I thought so. It doesn't make sense really from a cabling perspective to do otherwise.

focusowner would I be correct in saying that every drop to a customer's premises is coming from an output of a 1:4 splitter?

Also why could the 3M box not take up to three splitters from the start?

Can you comment on the testing methodology when the build is completed and why it seems so many DPs are being released as live when they have issues?

focusowner would I be correct in saying that every drop to a customer's premises is coming from an output of a 1:4 splitter?

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

focusowner wrote: »
    yes

Not entirely wrong then. Just missed the fact, that the housing could have more than one 4:1 splitter.

/M

Not entirely wrong then. Just missed the fact, that the housing could have more than one 4:1 splitter.

/M

sorry agreed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Is it in any way possible to buy a 1000 Mb/s connection and split it amongst two of your customers at 500 Mb/s each?

The question is about the technical possibility and not whether any agreement with openeir would permit it or not.

That would depend what you mean by connection.

I see 2 possibilities.

1. You mean 2 physical fibre connections which share a single 1Gb product from a billing point of view, thus splitting the bill between 2.

2. You mean 1 physical connection which is then shared between 2 customers in a 50:50 bandwidth ratio.

I'd say that the answer is yes, it is "possible" but for (1.) no ISP will do this as it makes no business sense for them.

For (2.) you'd make sure the connection was connected to suitable router or switch that allows bandwidth allocation per port, and feed each customer from their configured port.
    It might raise legality questions around who owns or is responsible for the data going back and forth. Could customer 1 be held accountable for accessing dodgy information by customer 2? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Update 5 on the wrong DP install:

Cancellations messed up our cancellation. (ONE ****ING JOB)

They only cancelled one order on the account. Amazing.

Have to call again and get our rep to resubmit the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

My install is scheduled for tomorrow.

Should I have received a call from KN by now?

I know it will fail anyway as there’s no light. But hardly any point in me taking a day off when I know it’s pointless?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

For me it was always a call followed directly by a email a week before hand then on the day a call 15 minutes before the engineer arrived.

How do you know there is no light at the DP?
    I had no light at the dp for 3 months after I ordered but KN still wanted to arrange an engineer to call every week.
    I asked them not to bother contacting me until the DP was sorted.
    Several weeks later I saw an engineer on the pole replacing the faulty dp. A few days after that they contacted me with a new install day and everything worked out.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

AidenL wrote: »

I know it will fail anyway as there’s no light. But hardly any point in me taking a day off when I know it’s pointless?

They don't always ring unfortunately. Sometimes the engineer only rings, when he stands at the front door and nobody is at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend (By PM ), someone to do a survey to find an existing collapsed duct ?

I think if I can find where it crosses into the property, I can tie it into a new duct. The Pole where the duct starts is across the lane, from the front corner of the property, so I think chances are good the KN guy can rod that far, to the new duct.

I'm close to Galway city.

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Did the kn guy not ring you last week the same day he rang me?

Kn told me last week thay my install isnt happening friday

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

tuxy wrote: »
    For me it was always a call followed directly by a email a week before hand then on the day a call 15 minutes before the engineer arrived.

How do you know there is no light at the DP?
    I had no light at the dp for 3 months after I ordered but KN still wanted to arrange an engineer to call every week.
    I asked them not to bother contacting me until the DP was sorted.
    Several weeks later I saw an engineer on the pole replacing the faulty dp. A few days after that they contacted me with a new install day and everything worked out.

shigllgetcha had a KN call last week. Said that it would be around the 19th when works were completed.
    They don't always ring unfortunately. Sometimes the engineer only rings, when he stands at the front door and nobody is at home.

Thanks for the call earlier, much appreciated.
    Did the kn guy not ring you last week the same day he rang me?

Kn told me last week thay my install isnt happening friday

They never told me officially, no. I thought you had a call from 'eir connections' this week additionally though?

Martin in Airwire confirmed to me earlier that the 17th September is showing as completion date for them also.

They never told me officially, no. I thought you had a call from 'eir connections' this week additionally though?

Martin in Airwire confirmed to me earlier that the 17th September is showing as completion date for them also.

Yeh eir connections said it would be 17th sept too.

One lone KN van working on the DP halfway into town that had a roll of cable hanging off it some maybe they will get our road live sooner than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Diffusion have been pulling fiber cable through ducting in the Castlewaller Newport Tipperary area this week. Approximate Point8 locations Q9R-12-811 to Q9R-81-831.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail
    Hi MartinL, how frequently do you get updates on status of live areasfrom OE?

Our FTTH location, Cloghan Co. Offaly was tagged as go live 08/08 but as you advised here previously this has been delayed due to errors on OE side. Talking to Eir sales (tbf all very nice but obviously limited in the info they have available) they have no idea what the issue is or when the FTTH product will be available.

Rather than ringing Eir everyday to be told they have no idea when the FTTH will be live, should I wait until every Tuesday if OE only update once a week ?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Rather than ringing Eir everyday to be told they have no idea when the FTTH will be live, should I wait until every Tuesday if OE only update once a week ?

We get updates weekly and update our database then. The date for the last update is in the product boxes on our product search.

Other providers may update their database less often, which is why their data often is behind.

• Advertisement

Eir is understood to be considering the future of its contract with HCL Technologies, the Indian company to which it outsources its call centres, over a slew of issues surrounding poor customer service.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-considers-hanging-up-on-its-call-centre-provider-1.3604595

Mjaeh .. it's not only the indians that deliver poor customer service in Eir. Plenty of head-banging when dealing with irish staff. The indians just haven't had any product training at all and are generally left clueless.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Mjaeh .. it's not only the indians that deliver poor customer service in Eir. Plenty of head-banging when dealing with irish staff. The indians just haven't had any product training at all and are generally left clueless.

/M

Cowboys and Indians.

Eir seems to have removed the "last updated" from the rollout map

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Eir seems to have removed the "last updated" from the rollout map

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Jup. They did that yesterday. The map is 3 months out today. It probably got embarrassing.

/M

Jup. They did that yesterday. The map is 3 months out today. It probably got embarrassing.

/M

They are probably trying to avoid changing people to Q1 2019 as well

Whats the latest with Eir supervectoring guys?

I went from a 360Mb VM connection to 30Mb. Supervectoring might ease my pain a little!

I went from a 360Mb VM connection to 30Mb. Supervectoring might ease my pain a little!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But supervectoring will only really benefit the ones between 70-100 Mbit/s.

At 30 Mbit/s you're probably not going to see much difference at all. You're either too far away from the exchange or your line is pretty bad.

As for supervectoring: the trails have been finished a while .. so i was told. So with a bit of luck we'll see the updates implemented soon.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

If you are on 30Mb you won't get any uplift from Supervectoring. Be 2019 before it's rolled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Update 6 on the wrong dp install:

Called earlier today to find out if my previous order was canceled yet. It wasn't.

Got it canceled again then sales went through the whole hassle of ordering it again for us. Only for it to be rejected again.

Aiden at the on boarding team being a hero made sure it was deleted and wiped on the UG and deleted the profile manually. No trace of our old account left.

Finally got a new order and an install on the 28th. Going to call the KN engineer and try speed it up because the wire is pulled in the duct and just needs terminated.

Getting closer and closer.

Update 7:

KN have received the order from Eir and they have put a note on the account about the wire being present and only needing to be terminated. They said an engineer could be with me tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement