Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

so would that make the parent CLY and not RTD then (CLY/CNY) ?

I had seen them running the fibre cables from Collooney to Coolaney on the poles but just presumed they were going to terminate the fibre at the cabinets to make the village FTTC .. then when I heard about FTTH , I thought they would just carry it on from FTTC on the poles in the area

Don't worry about the parent thing. That is really for the retail ISPs. The parent of both Collooney and Coolaney is Rathedmond. That means that an ISP that wants to serve premises in CLY and CNY has to have a logical connection in RTD. The actual fibre can come from Collooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Don't worry about the parent thing. That is really for the retail ISPs. The parent of both Collooney and Coolaney is Rathedmond. That means that an ISP that wants to serve premises in CLY and CNY has to have a logical connection in RTD. The actual fibre can come from Collooney.

ah right thank you - i was wondering like

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Picked a sample
    eircode":null,"county":"SLIGO","date":null,"error":"","fullAddress":"21 Fort Haven Coolaney, Sligo","townEnabled":false,"maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":null,"maxFTCHSI":null,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNRA":null,"maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null,"maxHSIServiceCode":null,"maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":"BMB24MB","maxNRAServiceCode":null,"maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"Available within 6 months","phone":null,"validationType":"address","message":null,"redCustomer":false,"lastUpdated":null,"itv":false,"partialAddresses":null,"completed":true,"needsEircode":false,"wideSearch":null

Regular NGB confirmed. First time I've seen the APQ query through back a timeframe like that. Its no longer parent and child like it was, that was when it was subtended. It still connects to core through Sligo but logically its own little exchange on its own two feet.

A GUESS:
    KNN have done the works to get the VDSL cab ready
    NGA feeder work has not been completed yet so the STM link/whatever feeding the exchange is the only capacity they have
    Its awaiting networks to run proper connectivity to it
    Then eVDSL switch flicked on
    Then FTTH can progress (ground work may all be done but no lights on presently)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

ED E wrote: »
    Picked a sample

Regular NGB confirmed. First time I've seen the APQ query through back a timeframe like that. Its no longer parent and child like it was, that was when it was subtended. It still connects to core through Sligo but logically its own little exchange on its own two feet.

A GUESS:
    NGA feeder work has not been completed yet so the STM link/whatever feeding the exchange is the only capacity they have

Any chance there is a public portal to run APQ queries? Or is it massively NDA'd?

Picked a sample

A GUESS:

Andy says they have brought fibre cabling from Collooney so that's either the core fibre or else it's going to be FTTH from Collooney and the FTTH will launch before FTTC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First time I've seen the APQ query through back a timeframe like that.

Those timeframes come from the NGA deployment plan for the eVDSL rollout. The one that you picked is the usual "Non-Standard Delivery - Migration or No Test Result", so paths will have to be added manually to the premise first, even when the cab goes live.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Re the PSTN lines
    There is no real rule about it
    Some will stay on the PSTN, some will move to VOIP. When there is no active line it's more than likely going to be VOIP
    Then you have some idiots ordering PSTN with FTTH when there isn't even a PSTN line to start with.

m99T wrote: »
    Any chance there is a public portal to run APQ queries? Or is it massively NDA'd?

Thats from Eirs website.

Thats from Eirs website.

Got a link? I cant find the API anywhere. Is it just the response from the eircode checker?
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Re the PSTN lines
    There is no real rule about it
    Some will stay on the PSTN, some will move to VOIP. When there is no active line it's more than likely going to be VOIP
    Then you have some idiots ordering PSTN with FTTH when there isn't even a PSTN line to start with.

Donegal rep tried to push for this like a spoon head.

The APQ file isn't public

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So about VOIP
    I was told my phone would switch to voip and to just plug in into the router. However it does not work. I get beeping rather than the continuous tone of an active line from both the modem and my old pstn line.
    I know I should call Eir about this but I hate dealing with them. I'm in no hurry as I very rarely use a land line. Is there anything I should try before contacting Eir?

tuxy wrote: »
    So about VOIP
    I was told my phone would switch to voip and to just plug in into the router. However it does not work. I get beeping rather than the continuous tone of an active line from both the modem and my old pstn line.
    I know I should call Eir about this but I hate dealing with them. I'm in no hurry as I very rarely use a land line. Is there anything I should try before contacting Eir?

Did you restart it? Easy to overlook sometimes.

So about VOIP

199000 from each will tell if you if either/both have a number assigned.
    m99T wrote: »
    Got a link? I cant find the API anywhere. Is it just the response from the eircode checker?

No proper API endpoint (Vodafone and Magnet used to expose those), you'll spot the query if you watch traffic but its tokenized so you can't just slurp it down.

No proper API endpoint (Vodafone and Magnet used to expose those), you'll spot the query if you watch traffic but its tokenized so you can't just slurp it down.

Just gotta write a GUI in visual basic to track the IP.

Thanks though, im gonna start messing around with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is there anything I should try before contacting Eir?

Eir Talk app will do the same thing until eir push the VOIP settings to the router

fritzelly wrote: »
    The APQ file isn't public

thats a shame that - i would like it if it was ... have they anything to hide as to why they wont publicly publish the APQ on the internet?

you cant blame technically challenged people for thinking that you still need a POTS/PTSN line along with FTTH - they might not even know about or heard of VOIP -

you cant blame technically challenged people for thinking that you still need a POTS/PTSN line along with FTTH - they might not even know about or heard of VOIP -

That's actually not the problem. The problem is, that panic buttons don't work with VoIP. The HSE is running a way outdated system.

And well, you need to KNOW, that you need a UPS or some sort of battery backup for your router and your ONT, if you want to use the phone line during a power outage.

The phone on the old copper exchange is powered from the exchange. Then again .. most of the lightning strikes in houses come through the copper phone line, because of the way Eircom has them grounded.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That's actually not the problem. The problem is, that panic buttons don't work with VoIP. The HSE is running a way outdated system.....

/M

seems the problem of the phonewatch alarms as well - how do people get on getting phonewatch without a landline? ... - i suppose they dont? .... unless its changed since i last read about them

seems the problem of the phonewatch alarms as well - how do people get on getting phonewatch without a landline? ... - i suppose they dont? .... unless its changed since i last read about them

Phonewatch and other alarm systems can be got with GSM card instead of land line. Not a problem.

Also, if an alarm system works with VoIP or not depends on how it signals. Only old systems won't work with VoIP.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    And well, you need to KNOW, that you need a UPS or some sort of battery backup for your router and your ONT, if you want to use the phone line during a power outage....

/M

this fella in the UK has openreach fibre to the premises - looks like they actually supply a BBU (battery backup unit) which is pretty clever addtion cant see eir ever supplying a BBU with the TP and ONT though ... would bump up the costs too much

Years ago i had a Mustek computer backup UPS for my computer , only cost about 30-40 quid and cut in automatically when the electric cut out - also had surge protection built in (to a certain extent) - just plug the ONT & router into the UPS and i would say your ready to go

Thats a lovely Neat plastic box Openreach use there in that video to house the ONT & BBU and the cabling isnt it, much better / neater hid away like that

So about VOIP

It probably just needs the VOIP settings resent - it's a few clicks in their software and starts working straight away. But only tech support and some other clued in people would know how to do it.
    Sometimes the router doeesn't receive the settings properly when the connection is set as live and the router is updated

Should you get the clueless one here's the procedure
    Go into Offers, click into the phone part - second thoughts I probably shouldn't be telling you this stuff.

I've got a Huawei HG658c router with a VOIP socket on it . Got it with Vodafone at home ADSL at my last house - downloaded O2 software/firmware to it and it unlocked some features ... one of it was namely to input a username and password and change VOIP settings in the configuration page of the router. I have never used VOIP before so i dont know what the settings all mean and I am not with Vodafone at home any more cause the new house we moved into a couple of years back hasnt got a active landline , I am just using the HG658c now as just a normal wireless router

Yeah don't post SB procedures :pac:

I've got a Huawei HG658c router with a VOIP socket on it . Got it with Vodafone at home ADSL at my last house - downloaded O2 software/firmware to it and it unlocked some features ... one of it was namely to input a username and password and change VOIP settings in the configuration page of the router. I have never used VOIP before so i dont know what the settings all mean and I am not with Vodafone at home any more cause the new house we moved into a couple of years back hasnt got a active landline , I am just using the HG658c now as just a normal wireless router

Thats probably stuff that other VOIP providers will tell you to set - not stuff you would be setting if your ISP is providing the service

Say if when I went to FTTH that I wanted to carry on using this vodafone Huawei HG658c instead of a wireless router that my provider supplied .... I should be able to do that shouldnt I ? - just plug the ethernet lead from the ONT into it and select DHCP? - as I said i have installed O2 firmware to it and has unlocked all features/settings of the unit

Say if when I went to FTTH that I wanted to carry on using this vodafone Huawei HG658c instead of a wireless router that my provider supplied .... I should be able to do that shouldnt I ? - just plug the ethernet lead from the ONT into it and select DHCP? - as I said i have installed O2 firmware to it and has unlocked all features/settings of the unit

If it's eir you won't be able to use the VoIP part of your bundle if you order one. They won't give out the SIP password so you must use the provided router. For other providers as long as the router can tag VLAN on WAN you should be able to use it.

I think the HG658c only has 100Mb ports so you won't get your full speed from it.

If it's eir you won't be able to use the VoIP part of your bundle if you order one. They won't give out the SIP password so you must use the provided router. For other providers as long as the router can tag VLAN on WAN you should be able to use it.

I think the HG658c only has 100Mb ports so you won't get your full speed from it.

Ah right thanks, yes I was forgetting about only 100mb lan ports, what's wireless n though on thatthough because that's what I would be mainly using it for. Could it be 150mb on 802.11n using 20/40 mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Eir Talk app will do the same thing until eir push the VOIP settings to the router

Probably a dumb question, but will the Eir Talk app on a mobile phone work if there's a power outage to the F2000 in the house? I know the VOIP phone itself won't work, but this would make the app option even more useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question, but will the Eir Talk app on a mobile phone work if there's a power outage to the F2000 in the house?
    Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement