Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Probably a dumb question, but will the Eir Talk app on a mobile phone work if there's a power outage to the F2000 in the house? I know the VOIP phone itself won't work, but this would make the app option even more useful.

Yes, as long as you have mobile data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is the 1TB Allowance still in force with Eir? I've gone over 700GB so far this month so better keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just note you’ve to constantly log in and reset the eir app all the time. That’s on both an iPhone X and S9

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Pangea wrote: »
    Is the 1TB Allowance still in force with Eir? I've gone over 700GB so far this month so better keep an eye on it.

It is, if it was in force, when you signed up.

They only removed it for new contracts/customers signed after 25.07.2018. Anyone before that, the old rules still apply.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »

They only removed it for new contracts/customers signed after 25.07.2018. Anyone before that, the old rules still apply.

/M

you fairly have to keep your eye on the ball the way they keep changing offers all the time like that - shame for people who signed up just before it and are now tied to 1tb cap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »

/M

Based on the questions I was asked when ordering an 'upgrade' to fibre, I suspect that if you have a capped connection, even if out of contract, they will sign you up to a capped upgrade.

I have no proof of this, but why else would it be a factor in my new contract?
    I do not trust eir, obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My conract expires in October, I must try and get on the uncapped contract so!
    Just note you’ve to constantly log in and reset the eir app all the time. That’s on both an iPhone X and S9

Thanks
    I usually use http://dslstats.eir.ie/ I find the app is slower to update

Based on the questions I was asked when ordering an 'upgrade' to fibre, I suspect that if you have a capped connection, even if out of contract, they will sign you up to a capped upgrade.

No idea. But officially the capped product is not available anymore as of the July date, so when they "re-contract" you, you go to the unlimited product.

They pretty much shot themselves in the foot with the activation fee though now.

Their regular "undiscounted" installation price is gone from 250 to 299.99 (49.99 activation fee).

If you move to Eir from another provider and have a line, they still charge you 49.99 for that. Nearly every other provider does that for free.

And sure, I know they discount the installation to 99.99 as part of the bundle. They also discount the "activation fee" to 29.99.

But that still means, that a new line now costs 130 EUR with Eir and if you change from another provider, you have to give them at least 30 quid set up cost.

Looks like the money stream is drying up to finance discounting left, right and center.

They can't even get their pricing right. Their price list says 250 EUR .. no cent more or less.
    (ref: https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf page 3 )

Their bundle page says "Buy now and pay only €99.99 for installation (normally €249.99)" ... while nobody is going to argue about 1c in difference, they can easily get in trouble over publishing false information :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Old packages cannot be sold so if you recontract it will be with the new packages

fritzelly wrote: »
    Old packages cannot be sold so if you recontract it will be with the new packages

If the status of the user prior to the new contract was not an issue then there would be no price difference between someone out of contract signing up, and someone signing with eir for the first time; there also would be no reason to question whether a previous package with eir was unlimited or capped ....... so regardless I do not trust eir to do it 'correctly'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Does anyone know what "ducting" means? I have an install date for FTTH for Monday and I see in the Eir PDF about "what to do on install day" that if you're more than 50M away from a pole they'll come in via ducting. Is this the ducting the old copper comes into the house via? (I know it's independent to copper)

My estate is strange in that there are no telephone poles in it at all. They stop outside on the main road. Is it possible they have run from the pole outside the estate via "internal" ducting in the housing estate and terminated outside each house? If so, I will need to make sure the ducting is good to the house, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

azzeretti wrote: »
    Does anyone know what "ducting" means? I have an install date for FTTH for Monday and I see in the Eir PDF about "what to do on install day" that if you're more than 50M away from a pole they'll come in via ducting. Is this the ducting the old copper comes into the house via? (I know it's independent to copper)

My estate is strange in that there are no telephone poles in it at all. They stop outside on the main road. Is it possible they have run from the pole outside the estate via "internal" ducting in the housing estate and terminated outside each house? If so, I will need to make sure the ducting is good to the house, yeah?

Ducting is essentially plastic pipe that a cable goes through. It would be common in estates for all cabling to be underground. I'm not sure that you'll be able to check your ducting. It may involve lifting manhole covers.

If you have a landline entering the house then they will try to bring the fibre in through the same duct.
    If the duct is broken or blocked on your site, then you have the responsibility of clearing it so they can put the fibre through it.

Do you have a box in the exterior house wall for services such as telephone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Do you have a box in the exterior house wall for services such as telephone?

Yep, on the gable end. Was just checking that yesterday. There is a big electricity meter box and then below that, in it's own small box, is where the old copper line comes in. Looks pretty pokey, so fair play if they run a chase pipe through it - time will tell I suppose!

Yep, on the gable end. Was just checking that yesterday. There is a big electricity meter box and then below that, in it's own small box, is where the old copper line comes in. Looks pretty pokey, so fair play if they run a chase pipe through it - time will tell I suppose!

I dont like their wording in their leaflets about installing - namely if the duct is blocked or you require/need the cable to run to another area of the house you could incur extra charges! - what is that ? like nominal charges or substantial charges?

Also i note they will not do installs into attics i see there - shame really , hide the ugly mess of boxes and wiring - anyone know why they wont install the loft , is it because of access/limited space or because of no socket/power to power up the equipment etc or is it something else

im not going to go ordering , but i see this BT openreach fibre modem with battery backup on ebay for 25 quid and it got me wondering - could that be used on an irish system FTTH ? or do the Irish use a different system to the UK openreach?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-OpenReach-ECI-Fibre-Optic-Modem-and-Battery-Backup/253798481108?hash=item3b17917cd4:g:LnwAAOSwNDdbZvOd

im not going to go ordering , but i see this BT openreach fibre modem with battery backup on ebay for 25 quid and it got me wondering - could that be used on an irish system FTTH ? or do the Irish use a different system to the UK openreach?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-OpenReach-ECI-Fibre-Optic-Modem-and-Battery-Backup/253798481108?hash=item3b17917cd4:g:LnwAAOSwNDdbZvOd

It won't work. It has to be an official Openeir ONT. Just get a UPS if you want battery backup.

I dont like their wording in their leaflets about installing - namely if the duct is blocked or you require/need the cable to run to another area of the house you could incur extra charges! - what is that ? like nominal charges or substantial charges?

Also i note they will not do installs into attics i see there - shame really , hide the ugly mess of boxes and wiring - anyone know why they wont install the loft , is it because of access/limited space or because of no socket/power to power up the equipment etc or is it something else

Health & safety prevents them working in attics ...... if a foot slips and destroys a ceiling and/or injures the worker, there could be hefty costs involved.
    If you need the fibre to traverse the attic to get somewhere else, most guys fitting will put the fibre through it provided it is all done correctly for them.

Don't forget you must have a power socket next to the termination point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Anyone wanting hidden plugged in appliances in an attic is beyond me - also the reason they won't install it due to the fire risk if something goes wrong or blows up on top of the H&S of the techs having to work in the area as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

fritzelly wrote: »
    Anyone wanting hidden plugged in appliances in an attic is beyond me - also the reason they won't install it due to the fire risk if something goes wrong or blows up on top of the H&S of the techs having to work in the area as mentioned above.

Also even if they can get a technician who does install it in the attic there’s no guarantee that any future repairs would be carried out. Techs could refuse to go up in the attic.

• Advertisement

OpenEIRs stance on this matter is crystal clear:

If you want the fibre run through the attic, then you drill a hole in the outside wall, bring a duct into the attic and drill another hole where you want the cable to come out of the attic again. You willl have to rope said duct, so that the engineer doesn't have to enter the attic.

Installing equipment in the attic itself is a no go. Not servicable. And to be honest, you would NEVER get good wireless coverage from a wireless router in the attic anyhow. No matter how powerful it is.

/M

on the Irish FTTH system fitted by open eir (or is it KN?) just to get this right you get a ODP (thats 1 box) then you get a ONT (thats another box) but its not a wireless ONT so you add a wireless router from your provider (thats box number 3) and plug the ethernet cable from the ONT into the wireless router ?

Wheras with the UK openreach FTTP you the ONT has wireless built into it so you dont have to add a wireless router ? - have I that right?

UK Openreach FTTP:
    29435i4A834EA8D8BFACDC?v=1.0

Irish FTTH:
    2zp837p.jpg

The ODP is just a passive fiber connector inside a plastic box.

For the ONT to have wireless functionality would mean, that it would have to have router functions.

That means, you would not have free choice of routers.

The irish approach that is used by both OpenEIR and SIRO is much more flexible. The ONT is a simple GPON fiber optical to copper "converter". No further logic in that box.

That's called thinking outside the box there :) ... And you don't have to have the router, where the ONT is. You can always run a cable to another room. You do however need power for the ONT.

/M

on the Irish FTTH system fitted by open eir (or is it KN?) just to get this right you get a ODP (thats 1 box) then you get a ONT (thats another box) but its not a wireless ONT so you add a wireless router from your provider (thats box number 3) and plug the ethernet cable from the ONT into the wireless router ?

Wheras with the UK openreach FTTP you the ONT has wireless built into it so you dont have to add a wireless router ? - have I that right?

That ebay ONT seemed to be an all-in-one device but I'm not sure what Openreach are using now.

It's done separately here to allow retail ISPs to provide their own equipment. The ONT is the end of the Openeir network.

That ebay ONT seemed to be an all-in-one device but I'm not sure what Openreach are using now.

It's done separately here to allow retail ISPs to provide their own equipment. The ONT is the end of the Openeir network.

so up to and icluding the ONT is openeir responsibility for fixing (as in up to and including the master socket on a PTSN/POTS landline) ?

and after the ONT is the resposibility of the consumer?

so consumer in no way (well technically not supposed to) repair/adapt or touch anything to do with the ONT and the ODP or the fibre - and if it breaks you have to get an open eir to replace it and/or repair that area?

Correct. The ONT is also the interface towards whatever provider you order from.

/M

the Huawei HG8245 looks like a good all-in-one Gpon ONT wireless box wonder if it works on open eir FTTH system , cant see why it would not. got RJ11 sockets for the VOIP and i should imagine the optical flywire coming from the ODP would be standard no? - but would you be breaking any rules by whipping out the supplied eir ONT and replacing it with one of these ... thats the question.

can get a Huawei HG8245 from china on ebay for 40 us dollars and 20 us dollars shipping to Ireland

the Huawei HG8245 looks like a good all-in-one Gpon ONT wireless box wonder if it works on open eir FTTH system , cant see why it would not. got RJ11 sockets for the VOIP and i should imagine the optical flywire coming from the ODP would be standard no? - but would you be breaking any rules by whipping out the supplied eir ONT and replacing it with one of these ... thats the question.

can get a Huawei HG8245 from china on ebay for 40 us dollars and 20 us dollars shipping to Ireland

It won't work. Why do you persist in trying to circumvent systems you don't understand?

on further investigation - it looks like the ONT openreach install is the (non-wireless) Huawei HG8240 or an ECI (non- wireless) ONT

• Advertisement

It won't work. Why do you persist in trying to circumvent systems you don't understand?

its OK , I am only toying with the idea and looking outside the box and getting as much info on it all - fine , if it dont work it dont work

I am just saying there is ONT with built in wireless modem out there on the market

Sorry I get the tone your getting a bit pee'd of with me - its not my intent to have angered you or make you upset in any way - im just inquisitive :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement