Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sorry I get the tone your getting a bit pee'd of with me - its not my intent to have angered you or make you upset in any way - im just inquisitive :)

Just because they're on the market, that doesn't mean they're a good idea.

They lock you even more in to less choice.

And the cheapo Huawei routers, the Eir and Vodafone use are only good as a doorstop. That's about the amount of quality you get from a build-in Huawei wireless AP in an ONT.

Either way, the ONTs are locked down on the OLT on various levels. You can not replace them without having access to the OLT. Which nobody will give you.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

its OK , I am only toying with the idea and looking outside the box and getting as much info on it all - fine , if it dont work it dont work

I am just saying there is ONT with built in wireless modem out there on the market

Sorry I get the tone your getting a bit pee'd of with me - its not my intent to have angered you or make you upset in any way - im just inquisitive :)

Don't worry! You haven't angered me at all. I'm inquisitive myself and like to understand how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Don't worry! You haven't angered me at all. I'm inquisitive myself and like to understand how things work.

oh good thanks because you have been very helpful to me on here along with others and the last thing i want to do is alienate ye :)

I presently have our wireless router in our hallway, and when FTTH is installed I would really like to keep it there in the same location. When they fit the ONT and ODP boxes it will be in the bedroom - there are electrical sockets there to plug in the ONT and the ODP (if the ODP has to be powered , i'm not sure do they?)

so what i was thinking was getting a starter kit of ethernet powerline plugs from woodies and plugging one into the electrical sockets by the ONT and then plugging the ethernet cable into the powerline plug.

Then go into hallway and plug in the other powerline plug next to the plug of my wireless router , and plug the ethernet from the powerline plug to the WAN of my wireless router - would this all work out or will I face any problems?

I would be getting the 150mbps FTTH package - the TP link powerline plugs go to a maximum of 100mb - so I will lose some bandwith there .. then I suppose if there is interference on the socket wiring (there shouldnt be though) i could loose something there - but apart from that it should work OK shouldnt it? without hard wiring a long ethernet cable from ONT in the bedroom to the wireless router in the hall?

459424.jpg

https://www.woodies.ie/powerline-adapter-600-starter-kit-tl-pa4010-v1-20-1145837?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw_IPcBRAjEiwAl44QkTKhPIqRcIKYHHlRVinM2goO9nNU_-lPzC7Pg6HM1iULBlUZU5kdGhoCS5YQAvD_BwE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I presently have our wireless router in our hallway, and when FTTH is installed I would really like to keep it there in the same location. When they fit the ONT and ODP boxes it will be in the bedroom - there are electrical sockets there to plug in the ONT and the ODP (if the ODP has to be powered , i'm not sure do they?)

so what i was thinking was getting a starter kit of ethernet powerline plugs from woodies and plugging one into the electrical sockets by the ONT and then plugging the ethernet cable into the powerline plug.

Then go into hallway and plug in the other powerline plug next to the plug of my wireless router , and plug the ethernet from the powerline plug to the WAN of my wireless router - would this all work out or will I face any problems?

I would be getting the 150mbps FTTH package - the TP link powerline plugs go to a maximum of 100mb - so I will lose some bandwith there .. then I suppose if there is interference on the socket wiring (there shouldnt be though) i could loose something there - but apart from that it should work OK shouldnt it? without hard wiring a long ethernet cable from ONT in the bedroom to the wireless router in the hall?

459424.jpg

https://www.woodies.ie/powerline-adapter-600-starter-kit-tl-pa4010-v1-20-1145837?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw_IPcBRAjEiwAl44QkTKhPIqRcIKYHHlRVinM2goO9nNU_-lPzC7Pg6HM1iULBlUZU5kdGhoCS5YQAvD_BwE

I can't say for sure if it will or won't work. What would concern me is that the router has to tag all data going to the ONT with VLAN 10. Whether these TP-LINK devices will preserve that tag I am unsure of. Also depending on the wiring in your home you may find that the throughput is less than 100Mb. It's really not an ideal scenario tbh.

The ODP does not require power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I overcame a similar situation by routing flat cat6 around the skirting. A flat cable really only needs a tiny gap to fit under a door.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Ethernet-Gigabit-1000Mbit-broadband/dp/B014DW3VI8/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1535247434&sr=1-5&keywords=10m+cat6+flat

Then some cable clips to keep everthing in place.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-White-Cable-Clips-Cables/dp/B007OH5IO0/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1535247467&sr=1-9&keywords=cable+clips

If going the powerline adapter route it may work best to have the Router in the bed room and a wifi access point in the hall connected by powerline plugs.

You may get faster speeds with the never powerline plugs(every house is different), no where near the 2000 mbit rating but I've seen people get up to 350mbit which would give loads of overhead with 150 FTTH.
    Also amazon are very good with refund if you are unhappy with the speed.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA9020PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-UK/dp/B01FFBN4MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1535247704&sr=1-1&keywords=av2000

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

its OK , I am only toying with the idea - im just inquisitive :)

Stay inquisitive whatever else you do.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=459424&stc=1&d=1535244956

I would regard that as a temporary measure only, until you figure out a clean way to get a 'proper' (ethernet) connection to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I use TP "1200Mbps" powerline extenders to run one remote access point. It runs at about 120Mbps, so a tenth of the actual rating. For 150Mbps internet it's fine as it's not my primary wifi connection device. I would not use powerline extenders as a means to get Ethernet to my main router/modem as a permanent solution. I'm actually debating running some Cat cable to it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I would be getting the 150mbps FTTH package - the TP link powerline plugs go to a maximum of 100mb - so I will lose some bandwith there ..

As others have said, powerline kits will give you a fraction of your speed. An alternative could be setting your current router to bridge mode, or if that isn't possible and you wouldn't mind having two wireless routers in the hall, set up a second (cheap) wifi router wds bridge mode instead of the powerlines and plug that into your main router. It'd be pretty much the same idea as you had but just using wifi rather than powerlines.

I'm getting my max speed doing something similar with an Archer C7 router but I've tested with a cheap as chips (under 30 euro) xiaomi mini router and got good, much better than equivalent priced powerline, speeds too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

I have to T-off my existing duct to bring the fibre in a different wall. What would people use as an access boc? its about 50cm deep. I was thinking either 110mm or 160mm wavin or gully risers stacked ontop of each other.

I hope to pull a draw string before KN get to me. What do people think?

I have to T-off my existing duct to bring the fibre in a different wall. What would people use as an access boc? its about 50cm deep. I was thinking either 110mm or 160mm wavin or gully risers stacked ontop of each other.

I hope to pull a draw string before KN get to me. What do people think?

Be sure to get a draw rope in there for them, as the Tee could cause problems if rodding.
    You might be able to fit a Y joint which would be less likely to cause an issue when rodded from one of the two forks, but more likely if rodded from the single end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Installation failed today as they couldn't get a rod through the ducting. Seems to be a problem near the very end of it as they got a good bit through. They said they would refer to another Eir team that could dig out and replace/fix the ducting. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it costly and does it add months onto the install!?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

You might be able to fit a Y joint which would be less likely to cause an issue when rodded from one of the two forks, but more likely if rodded from the single end.

I dont want to cut the current duct(ill cut an access hole), how would I get a Y joint over it?

Maybe a small junction box buried around the ground with a draw wire would work

I dont want to cut the current duct(ill cut an access hole), how would I get a Y joint over it?

Maybe a small junction box buried around the ground with a draw wire would work

You might find something in your local hardware shop to suit, if you tell them what you want to do.
    Dimensions of duct will be important so be sure you have the correct outside and inside diameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

azzeretti wrote: »
    Installation failed today as they couldn't get a rod through the ducting. Seems to be a problem near the very end of it as they got a good bit through. They said they would refer to another Eir team that could dig out and replace/fix the ducting. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it costly and does it add months onto the install!?
    Costs 363.20 (can be paid over 12 months) and they are usually out with you in a coupla days. It's KNN that do the work

in our particular house i noticed that the ducting in the eircom plastic box on the outside under the large ESB meter box the end of the duct at the bottom where the PTSN/POTS cable comes in is 'plugged' with some kind of non-setting putty type stuff (presumably to stop rain/debris getting down into the duct) but i think prior to install of FTTH I would try and remove all that putty just in case they try rod and then say they couldnt install it that day because they hit a blockage in the duct - I will try and make it as easy as possible for them as to try and get no further hold ups or extra installation charge incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

On to Eir earlier today as we are now getting confirmation on their website that we are able to get FTTH for both address and phone number but the sales team say they can't get a reading on the prequal? Any experience on here on length of time to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

On to Eir earlier today as we are now getting confirmation on their website that we are able to get FTTH for both address and phone number but the sales team say they can't get a reading on the prequal? Any experience on here on length of time to resolve.

You do know, that the 2 weeks that OpenEIR said for your exchange haven't passed yet ? So no wonder, it doesn't work.

Also, Eir probably have updated their database, but as they're 1-2 weeks behind at the very minimum, they now know, that you're enabled, but in the meanwhile the update they've implemented reflects the problem with the exchange that you're on.

You'll still have to wait until it gets fixed.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Ah you lads worrying about installs, if only I could have that inconvenience! :D

I was due for Q4 2018 but I'd say it will be Mid 2019 now after the push out. Don't see any progress out in Churchhill (Donegal) yet where we'd be connecting in to. Good to follow on here though and learn to do all the necessary (clearing ducts etc) before the time comes!

chris_ie wrote: »
    Ah you lads worrying about installs, if only I could have that inconvenience! :D

I was due for Q4 2018 but I'd say it will be Mid 2019 now after the push out. Don't see any progress out in Churchhill (Donegal) yet where we'd be connecting in to. Good to follow on here though and learn to do all the necessary (clearing ducts etc) before the time comes!

that's because you live in Donegal what do you expect :D

that's because you live in Donegal what do you expect :D

So far Donegal has the biggest amount of passed and live FTTH premises for any county in Ireland .. 27k premises.

None of the other counties come near that figure.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    So far Donegal has the biggest amount of passed and live FTTH premises for any county in Ireland .. 27k premises.

None of the other counties come near that figure.

/M

blimey, surprised. normally Donegal is the underdog when it comes to services and infrastructure (as lovely of a place that it is) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Install was due for today but KN lad rang me said he will need traffic management due to it being a 100km/h road. Sound lad in fairness nut will be probably be waiting months now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dar_cool wrote: »
    Install was due for today but KN lad rang me said he will need traffic management due to it being a 100km/h road. Sound lad in fairness nut will be probably be waiting months now

I don't understand why they arrange installs when they know it can't go ahead. I'm sure anyone who was to lookup your eir code could see it's on a national road. Likewise with areas where they already know there is no light at the DP. Why do these installs make it to the engineer wasting his time, could the people booking the appointment not check things that do not need someone onsite to confirm.

Got a call from a lady in Openeir about 6:30 this evening, with a booking for tomorrow morning ..... time? ....... sometime between 9:00 and 1:00 I was told.
    Not bad considering the failed install was Friday.

Now to see if I get a connection tomorrow ......

Got a call from a lady in Openeir about 6:30 this evening, with a booking for tomorrow morning ..... time? ....... sometime between 9:00 and 1:00 I was told.
    Not bad considering the failed install was Friday.

Now to see if I get a connection tomorrow ......

best of luck hope everything goes to plan

whats the "DP" stand for again? - sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't understand why they arrange installs when they know it can't go ahead. I'm sure anyone who was to lookup your eir code could see it's on a national road. Likewise with areas where they already know there is no light at the DP. Why do these installs make it to the engineer wasting his time, could the people booking the appointment not check things that do not need someone onsite to confirm.

When whoever books an appointment they have no access to any info other than what OE give them which isnt much
    As for the DP many times its "checked" by someone then the tech reports it back as not active when he tries an install
    whats the "DP" stand for again? - sorry

Distribution point - the black box on the pole or in the chamber

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement