Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Ive seen people tie a bag to a draw wire and use a hoover to pull the bag and the wire through the duct, hoping that works for me.

I have a load of paracord that should do the job, my run is over 60m so I dont think I cant get anything thicker through

Yeh im going to be very careful with the junction box to get it line up well.

I used something very much like this https://www.mcmahons.ie/faithfull-3100-orange-poly-brick-line-100m

Thin but you'd be going some to break it. It cut through my fingers pulling the cable through for the KN guy so I had to wind it on to a piece of wood instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

MBSnr wrote: »
    I used something very much like this https://www.mcmahons.ie/faithfull-3100-orange-poly-brick-line-100m

Thin but you'd be going some to break it. It cut through my fingers pulling the cable through for the KN guy so I had to wind it on to a piece of wood instead.

Its nasty stuff alright pulling that by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

m99T wrote: »
    Yeah ordered the 150. Thats all needed at the moment, can be bumped up to 1G if needed in the future. Having all sorts of fun now trying to get the VOIP to work in this house on the old telephone system.

It was a last minute decision but I ordered the 300Mbps over the 150Mbps. Think I was blinded by the speed... (Nice position to be in I guess!).

Something to bear in mind as since our house has mostly 2.4GHz wireless and existing 100Mbps LAN devices, I'll probably downgrade to 150Mbps after 12 months. For the one or two devices that we have using 5GHz and wired 1Gb LAN ports, we're not noticing the difference on those to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

I’ve noticed a few of these along poles in the whites cross/Upper Glanmire area, would this be an indication of FTTH coming into to the area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Cork981 wrote: »
    I’ve noticed a few of these along poles in the whites cross/Upper Glanmire area, would this be an indication of FTTH coming into to the area ?

yep that looks like the 3M DP boxes alright

our ones were fitted on the poles outside our house around the 16th June this year .... still not connected/working though as of yet (or should I say I still cannot order at present)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Cork981 wrote: »

Yep. That is a fibre DP splice box for FTTH.

It was a last minute decision but I ordered the 300Mbps over the 150Mbps. Think I was blinded by the speed... (Nice position to be in I guess!).

Something to bear in mind as since our house has mostly 2.4GHz wireless and existing 100Mbps LAN devices, I'll probably downgrade to 150Mbps after 12 months. For the one or two devices that we have using 5GHz and wired 1Gb LAN ports, we're not noticing the difference on those to be honest.

This setup i've just done has UBNT AC wireless access points. I'm getting the full 150 on WLAN wherever I go. Loving life. Going to take a few pictures and post them here.

The main thing is honestly the reliability and infrastructure for me. I wanted this build to be future proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Marlow wrote: »
    The technology that is used in Ireland is GPON, which is a single fiber strand with 2 different color frequencies transmitted on that, one for RX (2.5 Gbit/s aggregrated bandwidth), one for TX (1.25 Gbit/s aggregated bandwidth). 2 colors, so full duplex.

Does that mean at some point in the future open eir could offer 2.5 Gbit/s over the same infastructure? I know that speed is available in South Korea using GPON

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah
    Yep. That is a fibre DP splice box for FTTH.
    yep that looks like the 3M DP boxes alright

our ones were fitted on the poles outside our house around the 16th June this year .... still not connected/working though as of yet (or should I say I still cannot order at present)

Interesting, the area is currently serviced by VDSL but only getting 18/5 sync as the cab is more or less 1k away.

• Advertisement

Our house is around 1.5km away from cabinet, so (if it were live fttc, not sure it is yet) I don't know what speeds we would get. But thats irrelevant now because they have put ftth equipment up here now (although it not live yet) do it would be silly to go vdsl...however when I put my eircode into the eir rural ftth page it says "unfortunately you cannot get ftth at your address but check out these other great broadband deals we can offer you" .... Which is vdsl and speeds up to 12mbps!

tuxy wrote: »
    Does that mean at some point in the future open eir could offer 2.5 Gbit/s over the same infastructure? I know that speed is available in South Korea using GPON

You wouldn't really do that with GPON as you'd be doing 1:1 and its whole purpose is to split fibres and minimize runs back to the POP, but you could.

With 10GPON (4X b/w) you will see higher packages like 2g or 4g for a single sub. Same optics, different ONTs/OLTs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

On a side note:

Anyone know how to get VOIP out of a bridge'd f2000?

If it's eir I don't believe that it is currently possible. Why did you bridge btw?

If it's eir I don't believe that it is currently possible. Why did you bridge btw?

Reduced latency and control. Wanted a public IP on my front end so I can preform monitoring.

Just called Eir Connect and they said they will release the SiP password to me when the line is activated. I have my doubts though. If they do then i'll be getting a few UniFi VOIP phones to add to this network.

Reduced latency and control. Wanted a public IP on my front end so I can preform monitoring.

Just called Eir Connect and they said they will release the SiP password to me when the line is activated. I have my doubts though. If they do then i'll be getting a few UniFi VOIP phones to add to this network.

Best of luck with that! Myself and another poster tried to get the SIP password for our accounts and eventually we were told customer support cannot see the passwords. This occurred after we had both been given incorrect passwords by support. If you get a 32 character string of uppercase alphanumerics it's likely the same will have happened to you.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106608413

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057859112/1#post106634553

If you can get a beachead of SSH you might be able to pull the SIP config from the file system.

The other approach would be to talk to the NBBS over TR069 but I'm not sure how you'd imitate a keyed client.

Best of luck with that! Myself and another poster tried to get the SIP password for our accounts and eventually we were told customer support cannot see the passwords. This occurred after we had both been given incorrect passwords by support. If you get a 32 character string of uppercase alphanumerics it's likely the same will have happened to you.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106608413

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057859112/1#post106634553

I wonder if that 32 hexadec is a md5 or some other encryption with horrible security? I'll have to get my rainbow tables running.

I might try get that config file off and run it through the same thing. The decryption key could be hidden in some dodgey database backend on the modem.

I wonder if that 32 hexadec is a md5 or some other encryption with horrible security? I'll have to get my rainbow tables running.

I might try get that config file off and run it through the same thing. The decryption key could be hidden in some dodgey database backend on the modem.

I tried decrypting the config file but Huawei seem to have changed the encryption method. I have not looked at it in a few months so it's possible someone has come up with a method for decrypting the most recent change.

I tried decrypting the config file but Huawei seem to have changed the encryption method. I have not looked at it in a few months so it's possible someone has come up with a method for decrypting the most recent change.

Ill look into it and keep you updated. If I had a spare f2000 i'd pop it open and JTAG into the serial but im not about to break something i've had for less than 10 mins.

Also I just realised that bridging is dumb and the OLT now runs into my network.

Fun times on VLAN 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

What your forget is that you also get 50 Mbit/s upload, opposed to 30 Mbit/s. And you also forget how much uploading people do these days:

Uploading images, syncing iCloud, Dropbox, etc. Lots and lots of applications that upload.

Even the Gbit/s package makes sense, just to get the higher upload, even when you don't max out the download speed.
    tuxy wrote: »

Building a cluster for you to be able to max it out on your own is an expensive way to deliver 2.5 Gbit/s. That's not going to happen, As ED E pointed out.

The reason we can get FTTH so cheap opposed to the pricing of NGN circuits, is because it's a shared medium. If one customer could max the entire cluster, it would not be a viable medium.

/M

• Advertisement

you know the way you cannot order FTTH installation until everything is fibre live or that there is no light at the DP well I saw a thing on youtube , now it was australia , but the engineer shone a torch at the fibre at the DP end and installed the fibre in the house this way. If it were to be done that way IE get all the installs out of the way, so there isnt a big influx in the area when people can order and get installed and then just activate it later when the area is finally would this not be a better way to operate things? it would cut down on any backlogs of installations.

EDIT: Just found the video I was looking at 0:53 :

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

you know the way you cannot order FTTH installation until everything is fibre live or that there is no light at the DP well I saw a thing on youtube , now it was australia , but the engineer shone a torch at the fibre at the DP end and installed the fibre in the house this way. If it were to be done that way IE get all the installs out of the way, so there isnt a big influx in the area when people can order and get installed and then just activate it later when the area is finally would this not be a better way to operate things? it would cut down on any backlogs of installations.

It would increase the backlog because of having technicians doing installs that were not needed or ordered.

It would cost a considerable amount of money for no return .... maybe for years to come.

So no it would not be a commercially viable method of doing it.

There is a reason for no light at the DP. It's not because it's not plugged in or ready in the exchange. It's because something is broke or not finished half way through.

If you installed somebody before everything was ready, you would not know, if the installation has the correct light levels at the end of the day.

It will add extra complications, service calls and frustration, if they just installed people anyhow.

Stop trying to take shortcuts.

And the Australian roll-out is a bigger joke than the one here. They have really made a balls of it down there. I wouldn't take pointers of them lads.

/M

Final Update on the wrong DP install:

Here's the finished product, pictures and all.

HW used:
    Huawei Echo Life HG8010H GPON ONT
    Eir F2000 modem (To provide VOIP only)
    UniFi Security Gateway
    UniFi Cloud Key
    UniFi US-16-150W PoE+ Switch
    UniFi Network Video Recorder
    5x UniFi G3 IP Cameras
    5x UniFi UAP AC Lite Acces Points
    2x Cat5e Patch Panels
    7U Wallmounted Rack
    2x 120mm 12V Fans
    Raspberry Pi 3
    Generic rackmount power supply
    HDMI to VGA Adapter
    RII Wireless keyboard
    1000ft Ubnt Toughcable Cat5e
    60m 32mm Black conduit
    62m Blue twine rope
    Heaps of other consumables like RJ45's

Gallery:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmhDdSLA

Excuse the quality. A few rough bits here and there that need moving around and fixing. Happy with the result. Ping is 6-8ms.

Marlow wrote: »
    There is a reason for no light at the DP. It's not because it's not plugged in or ready in the exchange. It's because something is broke or not finished half way through.

If you installed somebody before everything was ready, you would not know, if the installation has the correct light levels at the end of the day.

It will add extra complications, service calls and frustration, if they just installed people anyhow.

Stop trying to take shortcuts.

And the Australian roll-out is a bigger joke than the one here. They have really made a balls of it down there. I wouldn't take pointers of them lads.

/M

alright - it was just an idea . I thought that at least if everything was in place then all they would have to do is just start charging you when it went live because everything would be in place in your house - or even if they just wired up to a ODP in the house in situ and just supplied the ONT at a later date for the customer to plug in .

taking an example of when they build houses they wire up POTS telephone line and fit a master socket already in place, even if the house owner isnt even going to take up having a landline activated - its still there though, ready for when they are.

Lovely job M99T. You're clearly very organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Final Update on the wrong DP install:

Here's the finished product, pictures and all.

HW used:
    Huawei Echo Life HG8010H GPON OLT ONT
    Eir F2000 modem (To provide VOIP only)
    Fixed your post.

Thanks. Hopefully it all stays working now.
    The Cush wrote: »
    Fixed your post.

Updated! thanks lmao

Yeah great work. Must have added a few quid on top of the installation fee!

• Advertisement

alright - it was just an idea . I thought that at least if everything was in place then all they would have to do is just start charging you when it went live because everything would be in place in your house - or even if they just wired up to a ODP in the house in situ and just supplied the ONT at a later date for the customer to plug in .

That would add a LOT of extra cost to the build.
    taking an example of when they build houses they wire up POTS telephone line and fit a master socket already in place, even if the house owner isnt even going to take up having a landline activated - its still there though, ready for when they are.

No. They only do that, if requested and they are paid for that job. The same as you have to pay them to move the pole at the road side near your entrance if that's part of your planning requirements.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement