Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Yeah great work. Must have added a few quid on top of the installation fee!

Yeah, the 99 euro didn't quite cover it to be honest :pac:.

First time doing a local install of that scale, going to keep a close eye on everything. The fibre really sets it off.

ALSO for those interested:

KN Tech gave me this info:

1) The two strand fibre used by OpenEir is mainly for a backup. He said it has saved him a few times where one strand broke.

2) KN (Atleast this one group of them in Donegal) are getting a new type of overhead cable for installs in the next two weeks. He had no idea of what changes would be made but it can only be good.

3) Eir reps will sell snow in a desert to make commision and usually lie as much as they can to make max commission, OpenEir does not like them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

m99T wrote: »
    3) Eir reps will sell snow in a desert to make commision and usually lie as much as they can to make max commision, OpenEir does not like them.

They can lie to their hearts' content about what eir have to offer, but if some of them don't stop lying about the competition, they're going to find themselves on the wrong end of a defamation suit.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They can lie to their hearts' content about what eir have to offer, but if some of them don't stop lying about the competition, they're going to find themselves on the wrong end of a defamation suit.

Alot of it seems to come from CPM Marketing, the company they outsource to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

3) Eir reps will sell snow in a desert to make commision and usually lie as much as they can to make max commission, OpenEir does not like them.

They don't even like them in eir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I had a pretty 'pushy' eir rep call to the door, he was pretty persistant and called a couple of evenings in a run - really wanted his commission , well I say really wanted his commission but maybe he was just being helpful .... naw, I think he really wanted me to sign up so he could get his commission. ...

tried to sell me a package a couple of weeks back with FTTH that even isnt switched on/available at my eircode - he was adamant that on his 'list' we were live - but I have since found out it could be mid september until the problem(s) get sorted in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

2) KN (Atleast this one group of them in Donegal) are getting a new type of overhead cable for installs in the next two weeks. He had no idea of what changes would be made but it can only be good.

The cable in this image from last week seems different to the drop cable used up to now. Perhaps this is the new one. It seems larger and more round than the previous cable.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057903932

The cable in this image from last week seems different to the drop cable used up to now. Perhaps this is the new one. It seems larger and more round than the previous cable.

Possibly so.

What is he crying about? Sure didn't yer man use a whole tank of Tec-7. That ought to be extra!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Well, maybe OpenEIR finally has realised, that they got it backwards.

OpenEIR uses a flimsy cable with a steel-wire for overhead and a fairly solid cable for underground.

SIRO uses a flimsy cable for ducted/underground cabling and a lot more solid cable overhead.

Go figure.

/M

when you say 'overhead' are you talking pole to pole or pole to house gable if there is no duct?

• Advertisement

when you say 'overhead' are you talking pole to pole or pole to house gable if there is no duct?

I'm referring to the client install. So the installation from the DP to the premise.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I'm referring to the client install. So the installation from the DP to the premise.

/M

Oh right thanks, I was thinking maybe they was using flimsy optical cable from post to post level and then was going to say that's not really suitable then the way I see telephone cables on the telegraph poles sway in the high winds . can understand why they ended up running overhead in the end to save digging up the roads and trenches but I still wonder how they will fare out in all these elements of winds/snow/rain and sunshine ... Only time will tell I suppose how the elements will affect them and the do boxes on the poles.

Marlow wrote: »
    Well, maybe OpenEIR finally has realised, that they got it backwards.

OpenEIR uses a flimsy cable with a steel-wire for overhead and a fairly solid cable for underground.

SIRO uses a flimsy cable for ducted/underground cabling and a lot more solid cable overhead.

Go figure.

/M

Funny KN Tech also said he preferred to work with the duct cables. 'More abuse' was the term he used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I’ve the flimsy cable overhead but it’s running along the old phone line so it shouldn’t fall down.

Agree with the poster above about the chap complaining. Some people have nothing better to do than to nit pick and complain especially with utility works. There’s people less fortunate than him in rural NBP/imagine and urban areas who could only dream of this service in their area who’d gladly put up with a hole like that on their house. Be thankful you’re included in the roll out is what I’m saying.

He could’ve drilled into the house and cracked the plaster on the wall which would be a lot more aesthetically displeasing than that on the outside. I doubt anyone will notice it unless in really close proximity to the wall. It’s not like sticking a pencil through cheddar cheese.

If the tech from KN had of done that to my wall I wouldn’t have given a crap. Sky/Sierra actually did this a number of years ago and fitted a plastic cover. The installer was all apologetic about it. I told him as long as the house doesn’t fall down I don’t care. My house was built circa 1979. It’s indestructible like a lot of houses of that era.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Possibly so.

What is he crying about? Sure didn't yer man use a whole tank of Tec-7. That ought to be extra!

Imagine if he had drilled from the outside in like he thinks he should have...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

In fairness he should have used a smaller drill bit first. Lack of tools or lack of thinking? I'd be slightly fecked off with that if it was my house, especially since it was a new build house with a decent external finish. You'd expect a little bit of cop on. A cover would certainly make it look better anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Nobody uses multiple long drill bits for installs. This is a hammer drill. If you drill out, the outside pops. If you drill in, the inside pops, and you probably hit the skirting and mash that. Or you could hit the back of a socket. Dude needs to get over it and move on with his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Possibly so.

As I see it an error was made.
    Either the plaster on the house was 'dodgy' or the tech wielding the drill did not do it properly or with sufficient care.
    That 'lump' out of the plaster is often due to too much weight put behind the drill or the bit being too large for the first hole (should have a pilot hole first) as it meets the plaster, so it breaks it rather than drills through it.

Admittedly it would not overly bother me either, but I would much prefer the hole to be plastered rather than filled with silicon or similar.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Nobody uses multiple long drill bits for installs. This is a hammer drill. If you drill out, the outside pops. If you drill in, the inside pops, and you probably hit the skirting and mash that. Or you could hit the back of a socket. Dude needs to get over it and move on with his life.

It's completely amateur and the customer has every right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Im routing my duct from the footpath to an outside wall, is it best to drill a hole to the inside myself or leave it to KN on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Im routing my duct from the footpath to an outside wall, is it best to drill a hole to the inside myself or leave it to KN on the day?

The less work for them to do, the happier they are. But do you have a hammer drill and an 18 inch (450mm) drill bit to go through the blocks and cavity?

MBSnr wrote: »
    The less work for them to do, the happier they are. But do you have a hammer drill and an 18 inch (450mm) drill bit to go through the blocks and cavity?

Yeh I have one alright so ill probably drill it at the weekend

Received a letter from eir this morning referring to my order last week for fibre connection (which has had two failed installs since).

Anyway, as I posted previously I had capitulated and agreed to €55.99 per month, even though new users could get the same deal for €45.99 per month.
    I agreed that, much against my gut reaction to it, but I wanted the Sky Sport channels.

Back to the letter, which states:
    Monthly Recurring Charges: 67.99 incl. 23.00% VAT

and a bit further down the page:
    Please Note: The charges quoted above are exclusive of any promotion or discounts, which may apply to your order. These discounts will be reflected on your bill.

(emboldened as in the letter)

So I have no idea whatever, until I receive my first bill, how much I will be charged.
    Will it be the 67.99 or maybe 57.99 or could they possibly charge the amount agreed which was 55.99?

The only option provided by the letter is to cancel the order.
    I have not found any other contact information to be used regarding the order.

I suspect eir is at it again!
    Not only did they want to charge me €10 more than someone moving from another provider, but now it appears they want to charge me €12 more.

angry! :mad::mad::mad:

This is exactly, why I always say, that you can only go by the undiscounted pricing when comparing providers.

And then see the discount as a bonus.

You get what you pay for. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys :)

/M

Received a letter from eir this morning referring to my order last week for fibre connection (which has had two failed installs since).

Anyway, as I posted previously I had capitulated and agreed to €55.99 per month, even though new users could get the same deal for €45.99 per month.
    I agreed that, much against my gut reaction to it, but I wanted the Sky Sport channels.

Back to the letter, which states:

and a bit further down the page:

(emboldened as in the letter)

So I have no idea whatever, until I receive my first bill, how much I will be charged.
    Will it be the 67.99 or maybe 57.99 or could they possibly charge the amount agreed which was 55.99?

The only option provided by the letter is to cancel the order.
    I have not found any other contact information to be used regarding the order.

I suspect eir is at it again!
    Not only did they want to charge me €10 more than someone moving from another provider, but now it appears they want to charge me €12 more.

angry! :mad::mad::mad:

The €67.99 would be the standard price for 150Mb + off-peak calls (€2 DD discount). I suspect you will get the €57.99 (€2 DD discount) for 12 months.

Eir cant get anything right so they've either messed up the letter or your monthly amount.

But they will probably stand by the price you were given, Ive had to ring them in the past to fix crap like that and they just adjusted.

I wouldnt get worked up about, just wait for your first bill and if theres a problem call them

The €67.99 would be the standard price for 150Mb + off-peak calls (€2 DD discount). I suspect you will get the €57.99 (€2 DD discount) for 12 months.

I was never told anything about a €2 discount for direct debit payment.
    So the amount was a complete surprise.

The €67.99 amount was never mentioned, only €65.99, and a €10 discount to that.

As shigllgetcha advised, I will wait and see what is on the bill.

I also was given a new account number ...... whether that has any significance or not I don't know.
    Will I still get billed on the old account for the copper connection?

They do not make it easy to know what to expect.

(seems a post I thought I had made went missing)

Update:

Call from openeir this afternoon.
    Another appointment made for the third attempt at an install.

This time they are forewarned about the blockage in the duct, so hopefully they will be prepared for it.

Roll on next Tuesday ..... another 'wait and see' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

(seems a post I thought I had made went missing)

Update:

Call from openeir this afternoon.
    Another appointment made for the third attempt at an install.

This time they are forewarned about the blockage in the duct, so hopefully they will be prepared for it.

Roll on next Tuesday ..... another 'wait and see' :D

Lucky you.

I had a tech out today to connect me but the guys that ran the cable through the ducting last week didn't leave enough at the end for the tech to connect it at the top of the pole.

Today was my forth day off work so I could be at home for them to do this work, and now I'm guaranteed to have to take another two days off work at least for them to actually get it right.

• Advertisement

Lucky you.

I had a tech out today to connect me but the guys that ran the cable through the ducting last week didn't leave enough at the end for the tech to connect it at the top of the pole.

Today was my forth day off work so I could be at home for them to do this work, and now I'm guaranteed to have to take another two days off work at least for them to actually get it right.

amazing the amount of incompetence in this thread of the installers and the amount of failed installations for some reason or another - it sounds like a lot of the times are so amateur!

*Sending out 1 engineer instead of 2 and aborting the install
    * not being able to unblock simple blockages in ducts
    * not drilling through walls properly without damaging walls
    * not leaving enough cable to hook up on the pole - and more

I think its a shocking state of affairs and errors!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement