Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

amazing the amount of incompetence in this thread of the installers and the amount of failed installations for some reason or another - it sounds like a lot of the times are so amateur!

*Sending out 1 engineer instead of 2 and aborting the install
    * not being able to unblock simple blockages in ducts
    * not drilling through walls properly without damaging walls
    * not leaving enough cable to hook up on the pole - and more

I think its a shocking state of affairs and errors!

The vast majority of these guys are not engineers.

Some have technical qualifications such as electricians, and have received basic training on the most common requirements of the install.

So I regard it like this ..... you first get the basic install tech and if he fails for some reason you get an upgrade in personnel, who will survey the problem but if the problem is not technical then they report what is actually required and hopefully you then get what you need to complete the install.

I do not expect this to happen on a lot of installs.
    Remember we only read here about the problem installs, not all the others that were successful at first visit.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the response from openeir from my 2 x failed install.
    The first one failed on Friday
    The second one failed on Tuesday following.
    The third is set for Tuesday next as there were no open appointments for Friday or Monday for which the lady apologised.
    I could hardly expect quicker appointments than that.

Yes in my case if the first tech was more competent then this could have been shortened, as the real problem could easily have been diagnosed and the second lot of techs would have been properly prepared for the work needed. Also there would have been no need for the Cherry-Picker van to be diverted here - the problem being underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

(seems a post I thought I had made went missing)

Update:

Call from openeir this afternoon.
    Another appointment made for the third attempt at an install.

This time they are forewarned about the blockage in the duct, so hopefully they will be prepared for it.

Roll on next Tuesday ..... another 'wait and see' :D

If the external duct is blocked why are they sending another tech out to try an install? That should be referred to civils to get cleared.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Cloghan Co. Offally and problems around Naas have now also been resolved, as it seems.

Still a lot of outstanding exchanges unfortunately.

fritzelly wrote: »
    If the external duct is blocked why are they sending another tech out to try an install? That should be referred to civils to get cleared.

Hopefully it will be a civils crew that turns up to clear the blockage, and allow a tech to do the install on the same day.

Yes, I live in hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If it's on the customers property, they don't, ever. If it's on public land, the roads etc. then it goes to civils.

That's the way OpenEIR operates.

Customers problem all the way to the nearest pole or manhole.

I have had one scenario with 4 attempted installs by KN on behalf of Eir .. no go ... couldn't find where the duct ended. Went out, rodded the cobra trough from the ETU, went straight through and out the duct 1m from the pole. No problem, 10 minutes.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    If it's on the customers property, they don't, ever. If it's on public land, the roads etc. then it goes to civils.

That's the way OpenEIR operates.

Customers problem all the way to the nearest pole or manhole.

/M

Well it ain't on my property, but it might be on my neighbour's property ....... and if the blockage is, then the chamber is also on the same property. :D

Well it ain't on my property, but it might be on my neighbour's property ....... and if the blockage is, then the chamber is also on the same property. :D

Well .. at that point, it's OpenEIRs problem and should be referred to civils for sure. But they have some funny ideas sometimes. The problem is to determine that it IS in fact outside of your property.

/M

Well .. at that point, it's OpenEIRs problem and should be referred to civils for sure. But they have some funny ideas sometimes. The problem is to determine that it IS in fact outside of your property.

/M

I should know on Tuesday ..... my only fear being that they shove the blockage along the pipe into my property :D

I should know on Tuesday ..... my only fear being that they shove the blockage along the pipe into my property :D

Make sure, they shove from your ETU and out so :P ... problem solved.

/M

If it's external to your property and they know they wouldn't be making an appointment - civils would come out, try and fix it then refer it back for rescheduling or worse case they need to dig down and then you're screwed for months
    Plus if it is on your neighbours property then it will be your problem to sort out as well.

• Advertisement

If it's external to your property and they know they wouldn't be making an appointment - civils would come out, try and fix it then refer it back for rescheduling or worse case they need to dig down and then you're screwed for months
    Plus if it is on your neighbours property then it will be your problem to sort out as well.

I do not accept that reasoning.
    Eir(com) placed the chamber in that location, and the blockage is about 1 metre from the chamber shortly before it gets to my property.

If they do not want to unblock it then that is a decision which I will dispute vigorously.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Cloghan Co. Offally and problems around Naas have now also been resolved, as it seems.

Still a lot of outstanding exchanges unfortunately.
    Can confirm I had an install accepted for Cloghan earlier today for next Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

So i dug my duct up tonight and was hoping to vacum a draw cable through it but no luck.

Will try again tomorrow again and rent rods if i can.

I want a draw cable so they dont have to see where i y'd off the duct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

So i dug my duct up tonight and was hoping to vacum a draw cable through it but no luck.

Could you post some pics if you can at some stage. Might have to do something similar myself. Thanks

This is the job under the foothpath.

1ZB2t44.jpg

Ive just dug up the duct tonight and cut a hole in it

aHEyJ6O.jpg

I tied a bag to paracord and dried to vacum it through the duct. I think it was sucking through the wrong end so ill tape it up tomorrow and try again tomorrow

Im gonna stick the half inch duct into the current duct and seal it up

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Kenneth in the Hire Centre has a cobra roll in the shop, I saw it a few weeks ago.

AidenL wrote: »
    Kenneth in the Hire Centre has a cobra roll in the shop, I saw it a few weeks ago.

Perfect was hoping i wouldnt have to go too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

have you got the poles in view from your house? - if so couldn't you get them to run the cable overhead from pole to gable instead of clearing the duct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

This is the job under the foothpath.

Ive just dug up the duct tonight and cut a hole in it

I tied a bag to paracord and dried to vacum it through the duct. I think it was sucking through the wrong end so ill tape it up tomorrow and try again tomorrow

Im gonna stick the half inch duct into the current duct and seal it up

So, have you to drill through the wall also?

have you got the poles in view from your house? - if so couldn't you get them to run the cable overhead from pole to gable instead of clearing the duct?

Poles probably 90M away and it would have go under esb lines. Id rather underground anway

• Advertisement

jgbyr wrote: »
    So, have you to drill through the wall also?

I think kn would do that but i have the bit myself anyway do ill do it myself at the weekend

In view is not enough. The house has also to be 50m less from the nearest pole to qualify for overhead.

And underground is always better. Much less chance of breakage later on. More solid cabling, too.

Some of the overhead fibers installed last year already have had to be replaced.

Overhead is another cheap shortcut.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Some of the overhead fibers installed last year already have had to be replaced.

Overhead is another cheap shortcut.

/M

I'd agree strongly with this. If you have the duct, take the fiber in that way.

Jim

Well my install is scheduled for tomorrow.

No call yet anyway, maybe in the morning.

Lets see how many things can go wrong for me ! Its a saga of disasters when it comes to installs here recently !

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

AidenL wrote: »
    Well my install is scheduled for tomorrow.

No call yet anyway, maybe in the morning.

Lets see how many things can go wrong for me ! Its a saga of disasters when it comes to installs here recently !

Unfortunately, often the call happens 5 minutes before the engineer arrives and most of the time only, if he can't find the premise.

At least they have the eircode on the work order these days, so there is no problem finding the premise.

With our fixed wireless systems and our in house engineers, we operate in 2 hour time slots. OpenEir doesn't give us that flexibility.

Unfortunately, often the call happens 5 minutes before the engineer arrives and most of the time only, if he can't find the premise.

At least they have the eircode on the work order these days, so there is no problem finding the premise.

With our fixed wireless systems and our in house engineers, we operate in 2 hour time slots. OpenEir doesn't give us that flexibility.

I have faith ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Have to say how appalled I am with Eir. They continue to fabricate and add charges to my monthly bill and each month , I have to ring and fight with them on the phone to get these phantom and bogus charges removed , only for them to appear the following month.

At this stage, am thinking of going to comreg

Strongly advise people to steer clear of Eir if possible

Eir are useless.

So stage 3. Getting high tech. Worked like a charm when i sealed the Hoover with duct tape

EZeZPgb.jpg

The cord was all tangled so will finish the draw string tomorrow

Eir are useless.

So stage 3. Getting high tech. Worked like a charm when i sealed the Hoover with duct tape

The cord was all tangled so will finish the draw string tomorrow

Won't ask how you explained that to the other half

• Advertisement

Won't ask how you explained that to the other half

Man should be allowed some private time with his hoover without questions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement