Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Unfortunately, often the call happens 5 minutes before the engineer arrives and most of the time only, if he can't find the premise.

At least they have the eircode on the work order these days, so there is no problem finding the premise.

With our fixed wireless systems and our in house engineers, we operate in 2 hour time slots. OpenEir doesn't give us that flexibility.

I see you have added US and UK landline calls also, good news for me.

Man should be allowed some private time with his hoover without questions

I bet she would prefer if you were tackling the carpet with it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

AidenL wrote: »
    I bet she would prefer if you were tackling the carpet with it though!

He took the hoover out of the cupboard, don't be pushing it

On a side note, it seems nothing ever happened with the late night and Saturday appointments that OE said they were considering in Spring.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

I see you have added US and UK landline calls also, good news for me.

UK landline was on there all along, but yes, we added quite a few countries.

In the US, there is actually no differentiation between landline and mobiles due to the tradition of charging mobile users the difference on incoming calls.

We will be adding more countries as we see fit. And they will also be added retrospective to existing customers.

The VoIP activation charge is only for customers, who need a VoIP router. It basically is a highly discounted price for a 7430 or 7560 depending on broadband package.

As you have a VoIP capable router already, all you would need is the porting fee, if you want to port a number. A new geographic irish number would be provided for free.

Ah yep, I will need our number ported. I have included it on the order with Tommy.

So effectively free mobile calls to the US also. That’s great. How much would mobile calls to Northern Ireland and UK cost?
    UK landline was on there all along, but yes, we added quite a few countries.

In the US, there is actually no differentiation between landline and mobiles due to the tradition of charging mobile users the difference on incoming calls.

We will be adding more countries as we see fit. And they will also be added retrospective to existing customers.

The VoIP activation charge is only for customers, who need a VoIP router. It basically is a highly discounted price for a 7430 or 7560 depending on broadband package.

As you have a VoIP capable router already, all you would need is the porting fee, if you want to port a number. A new geographic irish number would be provided for free.

• Advertisement

So, 9.20 am, and not a peep from KN for todays install.

They were at the house next door at 7.45am the morning they were attempting to install there.

I guess I'm worried by the silence, seems like they might have taken Friday off ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Safe to say the estimated rollout schedule from the website should be taken with a grain of salt?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

B Rabbit wrote: »
    Safe to say the estimated rollout schedule from the website should be taken with a grain of salt?

Yeh its gone wonky as they cant finish this year and havent added 2019 estimates. Winter 2018 would be first half 2019 id say

Have you seen any development in your area? hedge trimming, pole replacements?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Yeh its gone wonky as they cant finish this year and havent added 2019 estimates. Winter 2018 would be first half 2019 id say

Have you seen any development in your area? hedge trimming, pole replacements?

Thanks for the reply. It's my home area which I'm not living in at the moment. My parents are though and I visit most weekends . Would make a huge difference to their quality of life! Eventually I'd like to move out that way and work from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Eir sales reps are now driving around scanning wifi SSID. I just had one call to the door to tell me that FTTH is now available. I told him I already had it. He so oh, you must have changed the name of your wifi, which I had. ****ing vultures. I know SSID are broadcast to everyone so are no secret but could he not just check that it was installed at my Eir code. Does any department in Eir communicate with each other?

• Advertisement

My install is happening! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tuxy wrote: »
    I know SSID are broadcast to everyone so are no secret but could he not just check that it was installed at my Eir code. Does any department in Eir communicate with each other?

You have to consider, that the sales guys are sub-contractors. They are not necessarily Eir employees.

Also, Eir retail does not access the data through the normal systems. They have a limited view of what's there.

And then you have to consider, that OpenEir also only pushes the updated list of phonelines once a week to providers.

That list will tell you, if the home is passed by FTTH, but it will not always tell you, if the FTTH line is active.

So the data, that even the providers have, is hit and miss ... at best.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Turfwarrior

Quick one lads,

Am trying to log into eir sports on laptop with no joy, I am on IE11 with silverlight but when I log into eir the home page loads until I hit on a sports channel and internet explorer keeps crashing.
    Chrome,Firefox etc don't work.
    No sky box available, any suggestions?

My install is happening! :D

Well .. you barely made it in August.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Marlow wrote: »
    You have to consider, that the sales guys are sub-contractors. They are not necessarily Eir employees.

Also, Eir retail does not access the data through the normal systems. They have a limited view of what's there.

/M

It was a sales rep that called that I originally signed up with. Are they all independent contractors?

Would data pritection laws prevent Eir from providing sales contractors with basic info on who has alrwady sigmed up?

Well .. you barely made it in August.

/M

A bit earlier than I thought, oh me of little faith ! :D

Look at this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

AidenL wrote:
    A bit earlier than I thought, oh me of little faith !

Woo Hoo
    Your Flyin :)

jimmbo wrote: »
    Woo Hoo
    Your Flyin :)
    I am, I don't know myself.

Im downloading UHD on Sky Cinema, box sets and 4k Netflix, Amazon Prime.

Id say that connection will earn its keep over the next few days.

Just in time for the dark nights ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Look at this.....

nice one! great speeds.

Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

AidenL wrote:
    I am, I don't know myself.

AidenL wrote:
    Im downloading UHD on Sky Cinema, box sets and 4k Netflix, Amazon Prime.

I've only got it in 2 weeks and I'm over 1gb download already with the son catching up on game downloading and myself watching 4k !

• Advertisement

over 1gb download already

More like 1000GB, you mean. 1TB.

It's quickly done in the first month. Especially with kids in the house.

/M

nice one! great speeds.

Enjoy :D

Thank you ! Hope yours gets sorted soon also.
    I've only got it in 2 weeks and I'm over 1gb download already with the son catching up on game downloading and myself watching 4k !

I think I'll need all 3Tb for the first month anyway ! :D:eek:

More like 1000GB, you mean. 1TB.

It's quickly done in the first month. Especially with kids in the house.

/M

I'm the kid in my house......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Look at this.....

well i'm jealous :(

currently puts my fixed wireless speed in the dark:

460046.jpg

Yours is on the way!

460046.jpg

Yours is on the way!

yeah .. so's Christmas!

I tell you what the fibre rollout in our area has been put back and on hold that many times that I wouldnt be surprised if new year comes and its still not live

to rub salt into the wound I can see the DP on the pole and the wires opposite my house every day I look out of my window

Seeing, that you're with Fastcom: have you talked with them about FTTH ?

They're also on the list of OpenEIR FTTH providers at https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

But then again, there pricing isn't very attractive. And they can't make their mind up, if they want to charge 64 or 74 after 3 months.

/M

Seeing, that you're with Fastcom: have you talked with them about FTTH ?

They're also on the list of OpenEIR FTTH providers at https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

But then again, there pricing isn't very attractive.

/M

thanks , numerous times me and the wife but they just havent got back with any info - but the eir rep who called around to us tells me that its 55eur pm for 3 months and then 64pm and a new 18 month contract - expensive indeed

at the moment we are paying them 49pm for a supposedly 12mbps fixed wireless .

To me at the moment , a company called Westnet seem very appealing and apparently will do this area and not charging for installation and connection fee and offer a 12 month cotract

See the thing is in an ideal world I would like to stay with fastcom - I have been a fastcom customer for years so really what they could do is say "we dont want to loose your custom so we will match what westnet is offering you and include free installation and waive the connection fee so I can stay with fastcom ...but I cannot see that happening ... I dunno I might be wrong, maybe they will do that. Make life easier just sticking with them.

Maybe they aren't hurrying themselves yet getting back in touch because we arent live yet and are not showing up correctly on this APQ list or whatever it is

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Anyone know what auth for EAP the Eir_Wifi guest AP uses?

• Advertisement

Now that I’m finally connected, I’d like to thank MartinL and all the crew in Airwire for their assistance and great personal attention.

Martin even called me this evening at 7pm to check how the install went and to see if I had any queries.

Now that IS great service.

I’d highly recommend Airwire as your ISP - as with all in life, you get what you pay for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement