Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

The FAI could help out by taking away/reducing the participation fee.

I do not see why clubs who have their act together should prop up clubs who cannot. But as you say, it might be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk still had an OK team out, Bohs looked like U19s squad.

Agreed. There might have been 11 changes - bar a few notable exceptions- most of them have played on the first team this year.

Pablo Calavante one to watch. And before somebody asks, he’s Irish and we got him from Portadown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Seems that way, talk is there's been an offer like Lee Powers to just take the club off his hands and clear all debt but was turned down. Apprantly looking for something like €2m to sell the club.

Is it known what level of debt exists.

bot43 wrote: »
    The FAI could help out by taking away/reducing the participation fee.

I do not see why clubs who have their act together should prop up clubs who cannot. But as you say, it might be the only option.

The onus is on clubs to be well run in the first instance but the FAI need also shoulder some of the blame for clubs going out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Is it known what level of debt exists.

Figure that was going around at the end of last season that I heard was 100k but that was only for training facilities and accommodation, probably more debt owed to guards or for travel so could be anywhere from 100k to 200k but that's just all guess work and the official figure could be higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

joeysoap wrote: »

Bray last year, Waterford this year. Waterford have a terrific support base, look well funded, so will (probably) succeed.

Waterford crowds will fade off once they start losing - the same with all clubs. It's a circle that will never stop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just looking at cork v derry highlights from monday, poor turn out, wonder why that was?

Monday 3pm kick off on a sunny Bank Holiday. 10 hardy Derry supporters (fair play to them) in a crowd of almost 4,000.

Every other LOI club can only dream of such a "poor turn out" in the same situation.

Europa League 2018/19

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2018.html

And the champions league

City definitely have a chance of a decent draw as the ‘bigger’ teams are exempt from the first round(s)

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedcl2018.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

joeysoap wrote:
    City definitely have a chance of a decent draw as the ‘bigger’ teams are exempt from the first round(s)

I was looking at it earlier thinking that we'd have to be very lucky to get a decent winnable tie in the first round (due to being unseeded obvs). :)

I predict that we won't make it past the first round, getting dumped into the second EL round, get a favourable draw (odds are in our favour I think), and make it to the third round before getting knocked out, earning us effectively 1.1m.

Of course, if we made the second CL round instead before getting knocked out at that stage, and again at the third EL stage, that would earn us an extra 120k I think.

But obviously, I'll be hoping that we can get all the way to the CL group stage!! :pac: :pac: And when we do, I'll make sure to salute the pigs that'll be flying above our heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Wilberto wrote: »
    I was looking at it earlier thinking that we'd have to be very lucky to get a decent winnable tie in the first round (due to being unseeded obvs). :)

I predict that we won't make it past the first round, getting dumped into the second EL round, get a favourable draw (odds are in our favour I think), and make it to the third round before getting knocked out, earning us effectively 1.1m.

Of course, if we made the second CL round instead before getting knocked out at that stage, and again at the third EL stage, that would earn us an extra 120k I think.

But obviously, I'll be hoping that we can get all the way to the CL group stage!! :pac: :pac: And when we do, I'll make sure to salute the pigs that'll be flying above our heads!

UEFA have made it far more difficult to get in to Champions league but it could be easier for Irish clubs to get in to Europa league from champions league route

• Advertisement

Burke to sign for Preston for €300k apparently. Badly needed funds for Rovers who are hemorrhaging money. I'd imagine this will go straight off the €1.5M loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

doncarlos wrote: »
    Badly needed funds for Rovers who are hemorrhaging money.

We are?

Thought the cash could be used partly in a severance package myself.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Burke to sign for Preston for €300k apparently. Badly needed funds for Rovers who are hemorrhaging money. I'd imagine this will go straight off the €1.5M loan

Not sure that is a good move if it happens for Burke.

Preston play quite direct & favour more physical players with Pace & power.

Should wait to see if a more technical side would be interested. Brentford or Sheffield United would be good moves.

DvB wrote: »
    We are?

Thought the cash could be used partly in a severance package myself.

You're not?

Bradley not more likely to be kept on as a coach or with the academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Bradley not more likely to be kept on as a coach or with the academy.

Thats a topic that has been discussed quite a bit amongst my group of friends.

We had always said that if the manager gig didn't work out he'd be a real loss to the academy as his teams always seemed to be extremely competetive at their level & were doing well & spoken of highly both internally & externally. So ideally you'd like to think we could manoeuvre him back in that direction to retain his abilities in that particular arena.

However, even if we were to offer him a role back in the academy set up would he want to take it after struggling so badly in the top job? Easy to see why he wouldn't to be fair, but then again will he be looked upon favourably for other positions at other clubs given his developing reputation at Rovers? If not he may see a stint back at underage level as an opportunity to rebuild his reputation. Alot would depend on the manner of his departure I suspect.

Either way he needs to go as senior manager ASAP. He's clearly out of his depth & wont be turning the good ship Rovers fortunes in an upwardly direction anytime soon.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Like all league of Ireland clubs in Europe getting a favorable draw is key to progressing. Some very good teams in the pot. The absolute best draw for City on all fronts would be TNS.

Seeded
    Bulgaria Ludogorets Razgrad CC: 37.000
    Scotland Celtic CC: 31.000
    Cyprus APOEL CC: 27.000
    Poland Legia Warsaw CC: 24.500
    Kazakhstan Astana CC: 21.750
    Azerbaijan Qarabağ CC: 20.500
    Moldova Sheriff Tiraspol CC: 14.750
    Sweden Malmö FF CC: 14.000
    Serbia Red Star Belgrade CC: 10.750
    Israel Hapoel Be'er Sheva CC: 10.000
    Norway Rosenborg CC: 9.000
    Finland HJK CC: 8.000
    Wales The New Saints CC: 5.000
    Hungary Videoton CC: 4.250
    Albania Kukësi CC: 4.250
    Bosnia and Herzegovina Zrinjski Mostar CC: 3.750

Unseeded
    Republic of Macedonia Shkëndija CC: 3.500
    Luxembourg F91 Dudelange CC: 3.500
    Slovakia Spartak Trnava CC: 3.500
    Malta Valletta CC: 3.250
    Faroe Islands Víkingur Gøta CC: 3.000
    Northern Ireland Crusaders CC: 3.000
    Slovenia Olimpija Ljubljana CC: 2.900
    Winners of preliminary round CC: 2.750
    Armenia Alashkert CC: 2.500
    Montenegro Sutjeska Nikšić CC: 2.500
    Lithuania Sūduva Marijampolė CC: 2.000
    Latvia Spartaks Jūrmala CC: 1.750
    Republic of Ireland Cork City CC: 1.750
    Iceland Valur CC: 1.650
    Estonia Flora Tallinn CC: 1.250
    Georgia (country) Torpedo Kutaisi CC: 1.000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Still about 5 teams there Cork would have a realistic chance against. The obvious being the 5 bottom seeds.

The Euroasian teams Astana and Qarabag would be a logistical and footballing nightmares.

In saying that and with the gauranteed €800K and parachute into Europa League surely a crack at a top seed wouldn't be a bad thing. Celtic would bring in massive TV money.

major bill wrote: »
    Still about 5 teams there Cork would have a realistic chance against. The obvious being the 5 bottom seeds.

The Euroasian teams Astana and Qarabag would be a logistical and footballing nightmares.

In saying that and with the gauranteed €800K and parachute into Europa League surely a crack at a top seed wouldn't be a bad thing. Celtic would bring in massive TV money.

Aiming for Celtic in the first round is taking a very short-sighted view. Yes they would bring in TV money but a goal for all LOI sides competing in Europe should be winning at least their first round ties.

€800K may look like a tidy sum but it is not free money as it were players bonuses ,travel cost of hosting the home leg etc will put a fair dent in this pot.

It all comes back to improving the coefficient and making incremental progress year on year. This is something City, Rovers and Dundalk have managed in the last few years along with Sligo and Pats before them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In rounds where you have a chance of beating some of the weaker teams, then hope for them.

When you get to a round where you don't really have a chance against any of them, hope for the most lucrative draw.

That has always been my approach to Limerick's many European ties.

I agree. Any club below Rosenbourg would be good. Rosenbourg only defeated Dundalk 3 - 2 on aggregate after extra in Norway.

Interestingly Dundalk would have been seeded here as well ( just above TNS)

You really have to qualify for Europe year in year out now to increase co efficient.

• Advertisement

Like all league of Ireland clubs in Europe getting a favorable draw is key to progressing. Some very good teams in the pot. The absolute best draw for City on all fronts would be TNS.

Seeded
    Bulgaria Ludogorets Razgrad CC: 37.000
    Scotland Celtic CC: 31.000
    Cyprus APOEL CC: 27.000
    Poland Legia Warsaw CC: 24.500
    Kazakhstan Astana CC: 21.750
    Azerbaijan Qarabağ CC: 20.500
    Moldova Sheriff Tiraspol CC: 14.750
    Sweden Malmö FF CC: 14.000
    Serbia Red Star Belgrade CC: 10.750
    Israel Hapoel Be'er Sheva CC: 10.000
    Norway Rosenborg CC: 9.000
    Finland HJK CC: 8.000
    Wales The New Saints CC: 5.000
    Hungary Videoton CC: 4.250
    Albania Kukësi CC: 4.250
    Bosnia and Herzegovina Zrinjski Mostar CC: 3.750

Unseeded
    Republic of Macedonia Shkëndija CC: 3.500
    Luxembourg F91 Dudelange CC: 3.500
    Slovakia Spartak Trnava CC: 3.500
    Malta Valletta CC: 3.250
    Faroe Islands Víkingur Gøta CC: 3.000
    Northern Ireland Crusaders CC: 3.000
    Slovenia Olimpija Ljubljana CC: 2.900
    Winners of preliminary round CC: 2.750
    Armenia Alashkert CC: 2.500
    Montenegro Sutjeska Nikšić CC: 2.500
    Lithuania Sūduva Marijampolė CC: 2.000
    Latvia Spartaks Jūrmala CC: 1.750
    Republic of Ireland Cork City CC: 1.750
    Iceland Valur CC: 1.650
    Estonia Flora Tallinn CC: 1.250
    Georgia (country) Torpedo Kutaisi CC: 1.000

Dundalk would have been seeded this year had they won the league. Cheers Maguire....

Dundalk would have been seeded this year had they won the league. Cheers Maguire....

Seanie is delighted about that!

Did Dundalk enter at the 2nd qr last year?

Malmo appear to be having a poor season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Aiming for Celtic in the first round is taking a very short-sighted view. Yes they would bring in TV money but a goal for all LOI sides competing in Europe should be winning at least their first round ties.

€800K may look like a tidy sum but it is not free money as it were players bonuses ,travel cost of hosting the home leg etc will put a fair dent in this pot.

It all comes back to improving the coefficient and making incremental progress year on year. This is something City, Rovers and Dundalk have managed in the last few years along with Sligo and Pats before them.

Agree with the jist of your post.

The 800K figure is guaranteed and doesn't take into account progress in the Europa league champions path where if City fall out of CL 1st round you would face a team you could have a very good chance against. tbh the chances of City drawing any of the 5 supposed weaker teams is slim enough. TNS won't be pushovers either. Drawing Celtic might be a short-sighted aim but I see it as milking a cash cow in a round Cork weren't overly expected to qualify from in the first place.

Seanie is delighted about that!

Did Dundalk enter at the 2nd qr last year?

Malmo appear to be having a poor season.

I think it was the 1st round. Bad draw.

In the EL national teams determine where you enter , hence Burnley coming in late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Hopefully Rovers are getting more than 300 kfor Burke. although he has performed at Championship level with Villa , pisspot Grealish is hardly worth the 30million Villa are demanding

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Agree with the jist of your post.

The 800K figure is guaranteed and doesn't take into account progress in the Europa league champions path where if City fall out of CL 1st round you would face a team you could have a very good chance against. tbh the chances of City drawing any of the 5 supposed weaker teams is slim enough. TNS won't be pushovers either. Drawing Celtic might be a short-sighted aim but I see it as milking a cash cow in a round Cork weren't overly expected to qualify from in the first place.

Yup, and that's what I predicted above as well. I reckon we could make it into the third EL round due to the Champions route.

I tending to agree with the Celtic theory as well. Every draw up there will be tough for us to get past so, a tie with a big dog wou'dn't be the worse outcome. Once we don't get sent to Timbuktu we'll be grand!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I tending to agree with the Celtic theory as well. Every draw up there will be tough for us to get past so, a tie with a big dog wou'dn't be the worse outcome. Once we don't get sent to Timbuktu we'll be grand!! :pac:

To draw Celtic would be my worst nightmare. I love both clubs so cannot imagine being able to enjoy seeing them pitted against each other in a competitive match.

TC will be a sell out no matter who we draw. If we draw a team with little or no support, would they still have to be given the same amount of tickets as would be given to Celtic?

Anyone know what percentage of seats have to be made available to the away team in this competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Once we don't get sent to Timbuktu we'll be grand!! :pac:

Just checked. Hapoel Be'er Sheva is a literally further than Timbuktu. Best of luck in the draw!

Timbuktu - 3941 km
    Be'er Sheeva - 4184 km

Hery and Akinade sign contract extensions at Waterford. Was sure Cork would have made a move for Hery who would have strengthened them significantly so pretty happy with that.

If Waterford sign well in the summer and again in the winter, you'd have to fancy them to be a lot closer to the top two and maybe even challenge.

• Advertisement

Hery and Akinade sign contract extensions at Waterford. Was sure Cork would have made a move for Hery who would have strengthened them significantly so pretty happy with that.

If Waterford sign well in the summer and again in the winter, you'd have to fancy them to be a lot closer to the top two and maybe even challenge.

Hery would not suit Cork at all.

Wouldn't have the work rate for a Cork team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hery would not suit Cork at all.

Wouldn't have the work rate for a Cork team.

Or the fact Cork don't like Hery given the whole Caulfield situation. Would be a great signing for Cork but doubt they'll be signing him after pushing Caulfield over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

he is a great player, would love to see him playing for dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I love the way cork fans just presume Héry would go to them. He loves it at Waterford, also wouldn't suit cork as he is a baller. What good would having him in your team just for him to watch the ball fly over his head for 90 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I love the way cork fans just presume Héry would go to them. He loves it at Waterford, also wouldn't suit cork as he is a baller. What good would having him in your team just for him to watch the ball fly over his head for 90 mins?

Ha, what are you talking about? None of the people who discussed Hery in the last few posts are City fans. Mind that chip on your shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

When's the first round draw for the FAI? Really looking forward to the draw for that and Europe, even though I've no team in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The irony of something going over your head. No city fan commented. Although least he'd be part of a team that actually turn up at Turners Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Corholio wrote: »
    The irony of something going over your head. No city fan commented. Although least he'd be part of a team that actually turn up at Turners Cross.

Well he’s in a team that turns up at the RSC at the moment, goes both ways doesn’t it....

What are you on about?

To draw Celtic would be my worst nightmare. I love both clubs so cannot imagine being able to enjoy seeing them pitted against each other in a competitive match.

TC will be a sell out no matter who we draw. If we draw a team with little or no support, would they still have to be given the same amount of tickets as would be given to Celtic?

Anyone know what percentage of seats have to be made available to the away team in this competition?

5% I think but usually there is an agreement for more. With segregation they might give you an entire section regardless of who's travelling. We had an entire section in Warsaw that would have fitted 1000 and only had around two hundred.

Drawing Celtic would be a nightmare, but for different reasons. The ticket scramble from Irish Celtic fans who have never been in an LOI ground would be sickening.

Or am I stuck in the past a bit? Are Celtic as big here as what they were 10 years ago?

• Advertisement

Or the fact Cork don't like Hery given the whole Caulfield situation. Would be a great signing for Cork but doubt they'll be signing him after pushing Caulfield over.

How would you rate Hery over the full season he played with Limerick? Some fan seem to think he went missing from time to time.

bot43 wrote: »
    Drawing Celtic would be a nightmare, but for different reasons. The ticket scramble from Irish Celtic fans who have never been in an LOI ground would be sickening.

Or am I stuck in the past a bit? Are Celtic as big here as what they were 10 years ago?[/QUOTE]

Not as big as they were and the following a team on "religious" grounds appears to be a thing of the past. I don't think they have the same appeal that the once had with guys under 30.

If City drew Celtic they would seriously have to think of hiring the Aviva or maybe Thomond. Celtic was a possible draw for Dundalk 2 years ago (we got Legia) and Kenny said that it would be hard to play a home match and have 70% of the attendance supporting the other team. ( he was talking about a full Aviva). I’m not sure if you nominate a venue for the first round if you have to stick with that venue. Obviously Oriel is only fit for the first or second round and ties. They have to nominate a suitable venue if they go further. If you make it to the league stage you can only nominate one stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

joeysoap wrote: »
    If City drew Celtic they would seriously have to think of hiring the Aviva or maybe Thomond.  Celtic was a possible draw for Dundalk 2 years ago (we got Legia) and Kenny said that it would be hard to play a home match and have 70%  of the attendance supporting the other team. ( he was talking about a full Aviva).   I’m not sure if you nominate a venue for the first round if you have to stick with that venue. Obviously Oriel is only fit for the first or second  round and ties.  They have to nominate a suitable venue if they go further.  If you make it to the league stage you can only nominate one stadium.
    Not a hope. We'll play in Turners Cross until we are not allowed to. There's not a hope we'd move a game outside of Cork unless it was completely necessary.

Not a hope. We'll play in Turners Cross until we are not allowed to. There's not a hope we'd move a game outside of Cork unless it was completely necessary.

Correct thing to do just as Rovers were correct to stay in Tallaght for their group stage games back in the day. This isn't selecting a venue for a pop concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Saudi money?

Dirty money. Can't believe the fans ratified that. But sure.

I doubt that Galway story is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well there is an EGM called

Seven Worlds will Collide

Sounds like somebody got hold of an article about Athlone's take over and changed a few details.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement