Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

2nd half has been poison. This tie in general has been tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Serious lack of brain from Dundalk going forward! Don’t look like scoring more than likely going to penos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk lack quality in the final third.

Need a new striker and winger next winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

noodler wrote: »
    Anyone showing the Dundalk game?
    Eir sports one . Very decent first and second goalless halves from dundalk except time just about to start. Comon dundalk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

MD1990 wrote: »

do you not think Duffy and Daniel Kelly are up to the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

major bill wrote: »
    Serious lack of brain from Dundalk going forward! Don’t look like scoring more than likely going to penos

They look more likely than the opposition. Pressure surely building on them now an away goal for Dundalk would finish them. Missing Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It reminds me of a John caulfield side in Europe, pedestrian in the final third with finishing and ideas. Vinny might not be the man to continue Kenny's European legacy at Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

10 mins to go vs 10 men...hopefully they get a chance to attack their defence now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Penos it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Very poor stuff from Dundalk in attack. Been a few decent balls into the box that weren't attacked by anyone. Hoban needs to do better in that department.

Hopefully the penalties go their way.

• Advertisement

Hoare deserved that.

Been superb tonight.

Dundalk will need to improve gong forward but will have Duffy back & Kelly looked a threat.

Well done Dundalk scraped through in the end, defo wouldnt have liked to be a fan watching that.

Felt they were poor though, been the favourite in the tie might not have helped, underdog in the next round against Qarabag

Duffy missed big time there tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Too blunt up front, not much of a game, but they got through in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Deserved win for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That penalty spot was a disgrace given how valuable that shootout was. It was an inch or two higher than the rest of the bloody pitch!

Rogers continues to be an enigma. He makes some unreal saves and wins you penalty shootouts, but then can go out the next game and make an awful error to cost you a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great result. Every European tie is hard won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

G’wan the Town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Some trek for the next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

447 minutes since Dundalk's last goal in Europe by my count.
    Great to see them progress, the likelihood of them beating Qarabag is slim though.

• Advertisement

Dundalk are guaranteed 4 more European games now.

Lack of goals sums up the attacking play in the league.
    Fitness levels increasing means much less time on the ball. Teams in general need to improve. Rovers best at creating chances but have no finisher as they should have beaten Brann last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Well done. Deserved to go through. Will need to be much better v Qarabag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Well done Dundalk, badly needed positive result

Trying to think the last time an Irish side faced a team from Azerbaijan this the first?

Even internationally haven’t faced them at senior level

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Some of the worst penos I've ever seen. Congrats Dundalk

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pat's to Kazakhstan probably furthest Irish club has gone (competitively)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

How much will they lose on the next leg? Probably a few quid you'd imagine.

How much will they lose on the next leg? Probably a few quid you'd imagine.

I'm sure they'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm sure they'll be fine.

Wasn't really the question.... I vaguely remember Pats complaining about the money lost for going to Kazakhstan or something to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Fair play Dundalk....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wasn't really the question.... I vaguely remember Pats complaining about the money lost for going to Kazakhstan or something to that effect.

Probably cos the fai keep it and the club must request these funds. Maybe it was a cash flow thing they had trouble with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

In the ‘old days’ clubs complained of distance and subsequent costs. I think now they don’t buy tickets but rather hire the whole plane, so distance shouldn’t matter as much as it did then. Spare seats are usually sold to fans who want to travel with the team/ don’t want/can’t organize the trip.

And hotels cost less then here.

More importantly: Oriel or Tallaght? I plump for Tallaght if given the choice,

Should have won in normal time , Riga had nothing up top. (De Town wasn’t much better)

sugarman wrote: »
    Probably close to €50k, youre talking €1k a head for flights alone.

AFAIK There’s €540k or €560k for the next round, site will update in the morning,

sugarman wrote: »
    Probably close to €50k, youre talking €1k a head for flights alone.

There’s 3 hours difference

Flight time from Baku to Dublin is 9 hours 10 minutes
    Distance from Baku to Dublin is approximately 4380 kilometers.

Get a lead to defend over there and who knows what can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Well done Dundalk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Get a lead to defend over there and who knows what can happen.

As much as I defend the LOI standard, Qarabag is a different level.

with the prizemoney now guranteed to be at least 1m.

I would try get McMillian back. Hoban better 2nd half but his lack of sharp movement is poor in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

dfx- wrote: »
    As much as I defend the LOI standard, Qarabag is a different level.

If they play like that against Qarabag over two legs they'll be spanked similar to the job Larnaca did on them last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Dundalk have the highlights up on their YouTube already with Eir commentary.
    That's fair going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Literally never seen you on here before and you arrive in with a massive chip on your shoulder to stir a load of sh*t, tell everyone their crybabies and somehow manage to start throwing digs at Rovers too.

I've been posting on this forum since 2002 friendo

• Advertisement

Vinny Perth says Dundalk, small provincial town of 40,000 are punching above their weight in Europe. Hard to argue with that.

Jose rang to congratulate him apparently.

joeysoap wrote: »
    AFAIK There’s €540k or €560k for the next round, site will update in the morning,
    with the prizemoney now guranteed to be at least 1m.

I would try get McMillian back. Hoban better 2nd half but his lack of sharp movement is poor in Europe.

I was wrong, prize money for winning in Riga was €380k but there’s another round in Europa League.
    Updated already

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/money/#money-club

Hoping Rovers (at least) add to their winnings. Cork could still do it, hard to see Pats progressing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As per the Indo

"Michael Duffy's partner Emily gave birth to a baby boy at half time of extra time, while Irish Independent football correspondent Daniel McDonnell added that Duffy was able to nip out of the delivery room to watch the penalty shoot-out on his phone!"

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

Like P Flynn complaining about the cost of running three houses.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Vinny Perth says Dundalk, small provincial town of 40,000 are punching above their weight in Europe. Hard to argue with that.

Jose rang to congratulate him apparently.

Dundalk can certainly be happy with their record in Europe the last few years. I won’t be betting against them the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

If they play like that against Qarabag over two legs they'll be spanked similar to the job Larnaca did on them last year.

I disagree. Boyle coming back into the side has transformed Dundalk defensively.

While Dundalk may ultimately be not good enough to overcome Qarabag, I do not see them being taken apart so easily as against Larnaca in the last year.

The real difference between this team and 2016 is the lack of clever and quick movement up front. However, any team with the likes of Duffy, McEleney, McGrath, Benson, Murray etc. can create and score a goal. The question is whether the defence can make sure that a single goal can be decisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Dundalk can certainly be happy with their record in Europe the last few years. I won’t be betting against them the next round.

I would bet against them. Qarabag are a different level. A minimum 4 more games in Europe Is great for Dundalk tho

Qarabag's last 4 seasons in Europe according to Wiki, the fact they are consistently qualifying for the groups regardless of how they did within suggests this is going to be a very tough game for Dundalk.

485564.JPG

That’s impressive. Draw could have been kinder. Going to be tough.

As regards Larnaca last year. The match was played during the day (at 16.:30) in 38 degrees of heat.
    The Larnaca team included an extraordinary number of Spanish players, and Larnaca qualified for the group stages.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    As per the Indo

"Michael Duffy's partner Emily gave birth to a baby boy at half time of extra time, while Irish Independent football correspondent Daniel McDonnell added that Duffy was able to nip out of the delivery room to watch the penalty shoot-out on his phone!"

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

I like to think that Duffy went rushing out after the birth, and instead of calling his mother or other family, rang Dan McDonnell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement