Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Out of curiosity, what's Cork's win worth to the league in terms of coefficient points?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I thought Greg Bolger should get a special mention also. Lopes will probably get dementia from the amount of headers he got at the end.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I thought Greg Bolger should get a special mention also. Lopes will probably get dementia from the amount of headers he got at the end.

Bolger is a fabulous player, does all the simple stuff well, breaks the play up and is able to start a move too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Out of curiosity, what's Cork's win worth to the league in terms of coefficient points?

Club coefficient is done by round so they'll get 1 point.
    For league coefficient it'll add 0.25.
    Think so far the league for this season is getting a 0.875 coefficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

That was a super game of football. Shamrock Rovers had the most of the possession in the first half but probably didn't threaten as much as Brann. Thought Rovers were poor in the second half up until probably the last 15 minutes and the introduction of the likes of Carr, O'Neill and McEneff. Up until the goals their best chance was probably Boyle at the beginning of the second half.
    The goal that was given away was very poor from a back three that were very decent for the most part.
    The two goals that Rovers scored were superb though, watched them back on Twitter and it's a shame that the Eir cameras didn't catch the absolute limbs in the south stand. Outrageous stuff.
    Thought Rovers were brilliant. Back three were solid although I don't think Joey O'Brien got on the ball much. Sean Kavanagh did some great work up the left and was really impressive, but I wouldn't be overly fond of Ethan Boyle.
    Not a whole pile from Watts but super stuff from Finn and Bolger. Bit of criticism on here for Graham Cummins, thought that his hold up play was decent and any balls that he was given to run on to were asking for a lot. Would be a good target man for someone to run off, which is why I was a bit confused at Rovers taking off a striker for a striker with Carr replacing him. McEneff did well off the bench, while everything that I could say about Jack Byrne has already been said. A super talent.
    Thought Brann's centre-half with the mad hair was an absolute liability, while the number 11 that came on (might've got the goal, can't remember) threatened a lot.
    Pitch invasions were a bit much tonight and will set the club back a bit, brainless stuff from those Rovers fans. I will say that the ratio of stewards:Brann fans was a lot higher than that of the stewards and south stand fans, something they should absolutely look at.

We all take the piss out of clubs on here and I'll usually be in the thick of it, but what Shamrock Rovers are doing with their match experience is superb. It was my first trip to Tallaght, and conveniently and safely parking in the square and being able to walk to the ground are two things that shouldn't be understated. A big fantastic ground with plenty of seats, cover and all the ultras housed away from the kids to the point where they probably can't hear any obscenities but can see all the flags and chanting. None of these things would bother me really, but looking at it through the eyes of a parent they're important.
    Not trying to say that any attempts by other clubs to draw fans are no good, but what Shamrock Rovers are doing is admirable and something clubs should aim for.

Anyway, it's just gone midnight and I'm in Junction 14 and better get back to Limerick.
    Go watch a game tomorrow and support this beautiful game in this beautiful country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

That was a super game of football. Shamrock Rovers had the most of the possession in the first half but probably didn't threaten as much as Brann. Thought Rovers were poor in the second half up until probably the last 15 minutes and the introduction of the likes of Carr, O'Neill and McEneff. Up until the goals their best chance was probably Boyle at the beginning of the second half.
    The goal that was given away was very poor from a back three that were very decent for the most part.
    The two goals that Rovers scored were superb though, watched them back on Twitter and it's a shame that the Eir cameras didn't catch the absolute limbs in the south stand. Outrageous stuff.
    Thought Rovers were brilliant. Back three were solid although I don't think Joey O'Brien got on the ball much. Sean Kavanagh did some great work up the left and was really impressive, but I wouldn't be overly fond of Ethan Boyle.
    Not a whole pile from Watts but super stuff from Finn and Bolger. Bit of criticism on here for Graham Cummins, thought that his hold up play was decent and any balls that he was given to run on to were asking for a lot. Would be a good target man for someone to run off, which is why I was a bit confused at Rovers taking off a striker for a striker with Carr replacing him. McEneff did well off the bench, while everything that I could say about Jack Byrne has already been said. A super talent.
    Thought Brann's centre-half with the mad hair was an absolute liability, while the number 11 that came on (might've got the goal, can't remember) threatened a lot.
    Pitch invasions were a bit much tonight and will set the club back a bit, brainless stuff from those Rovers fans. I will say that the ratio of stewards:Brann fans was a lot higher than that of the stewards and south stand fans, something they should absolutely look at.

We all take the piss out of clubs on here and I'll usually be in the thick of it, but what Shamrock Rovers are doing with their match experience is superb. It was my first trip to Tallaght, and conveniently and safely parking in the square and being able to walk to the ground are two things that shouldn't be understated. A big fantastic ground with plenty of seats, cover and all the ultras housed away from the kids to the point where they probably can't hear any obscenities but can see all the flags and chanting. None of these things would bother me really, but looking at it through the eyes of a parent they're important.
    Not trying to say that any attempts by other clubs to draw fans are no good, but what Shamrock Rovers are doing is admirable and something clubs should aim for.

Anyway, it's just gone midnight and I'm in Junction 14 and better get back to Limerick.
    Go watch a game tomorrow and support this beautiful game in this beautiful country.

RE: the pitch invasions. It's the only downer on tonight for me. Idiots who will cost the club money, and reputation. It might have only been ~100 people, out of a crowd of well over 5000, but it looks terrible and the damage is done (and it's 100 too many, in my opinion).

Glad you enjoyed the match day experience! Hopefully you'll be back. Safe home! :)

It was great to see so many other LOI clubs represented in the crowd tonight. I thought Watts was quite good today, did his job quietly and allowed the likes of Finn and Byrne to stay higher up which can't go underrated. Thought the Carr sub was a bit odd myself but it could have been the idea to get someone in running behind the defence without going full all out attack and being vulnerable at the back.

Just had a look through UEFA and looks like a fine of 20 grand could be on its way which is the cost of roughly 1,300 tickets which isn't exactly ideal all because of 100 muppets that aren't regulars.

Great to see so many kids at the game too hopefully they're hooked and nag their parents into bringing them down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I second your point about the matchday experience. Came from Meath and brought a mate who typically wouldn't go to LOI games. We were both impressed. Free parking, great facilities and nice food from the stalls. Was back in Navan less than an hour after FT. Can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Oat23 wrote: »
    Prize money is €240k for this round + €260k for the next, UEFA will probably keep at least €10k of it due to those dopes going on the pitch twice.

Rovers are up to €500k

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/money/#money-club
    Strumms wrote: »
    How the fûck can a football club get fined because a fan or fans were waving a flag of a particular country or state. If I go down to Dalymount with a Mexican flag ? There are tri colors at practically every Premiership game.

I think it’s as Omackeral posts, Palestine, whatever our views, are not Uefa recognized.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Suppose Israel are UEFA members and Palestine are not. Might be a small factor in it. I saw some of the Dundalk lads had the Palestine flag in Riga last night too.

I sincerely hope they hadn’t as it could mean another fine. And the owners mightn’t be too happy either.

I think it changed this year and every club and country stands on its own coefficient now. The exception is for clubs who have no coefficient of their or their own is lower than their countries ie Athlone Town and say Burnley who pick up their countries coefficients. Unfortunately the Irish coefficient is very low so Athlone Town = 1165, Burnley =14835. (Both to be updated)
    I think that’s how it works anyway.

https://www.footballseeding.com/club-ranking/a2019-2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Snip

Did you travel up from Limerick for the game?

some trek as a neutral/Loi fan, fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Was at the Rovers game last night, it was nerve racking stuff.

Rovers done well the first half and should have scored with Finn through on the keeper after an awful mistake by the Brann defender who was terrible pretty much all game. The second half Brann played much better but even after they scored you could sense the Rovers players knew they were good enough to win it.

The substitutes for Rovers made a difference, Carr caused the defence more issues then Cummings who wasn't great but I would give him a few more games to get used to the way Rovers play before I write him off.
    McEniff looked a live wire and had some great touches and passes. But of course the player of the game is Jack Byrne, some of his cross field passes were fantastic but the wing play was pretty poor all night, Kavanagh didn't look great at all while Boyle looked wrecked pretty much from the start of the game and should have been subbed in my opinion.

The crowd trouble was a big disappointment, from where I was sitting they looked like young teenagers, anyone over the age of 18 should be banned from the stadium, I did see one lad get taken away. Also there was a bottle thrown so that's not going to help. It looked like the Ultra's were trying to kick out who ever it was that threw the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I disagree with the claim that the fans coming on the pitch would shine a bad light on Rovers.

It will cost them a fine because you know, UEFA. But fans like to see a bit of passion from smaller clubs or leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

joeysoap wrote: »

I think it’s as Omackeral posts, Palestine, whatever our views, are not Uefa recognized.

I sincerely hope they hadn’t as it could mean another fine. And the owners mightn’t be too happy either.

Ok, they may not be UEFA recognized fine and dandy but for a fan or fans to incur a fine on their club because they had a flag ? That’s quite Naziesque right there.

The supporters had a flag of a state who are not a member of the footballing governing body, fine them, take their money ! That IS unfortunately as backward, as evil spirited as it gets in sport.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Nothing to do with Palenstine not being recognized. It's to do with it being Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I disagree with the claim that the fans coming on the pitch would shine a bad light on Rovers.

It shines a very bad light, this is a big no no in professional sport where the safety of players and officials is taken seriously.

Where was the security? As an away fan in Tallaght, it would be virtually impossible to get on the pitch. Not so for home fans, they were streaming on to the pitch with with ease.

It such a pity that this is the subject of discussion after a good night for LOI football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Where was the security? As an away fan in Tallaght, it would be virtually impossible to get on the pitch. Not so for home fans, they were streaming on to the pitch with with ease.

Always seems to be the same when Dundalk play there. Massive steward presence and guards at the away end and Rovers fans get on the pitch with ease when a goal is scored. Stewards round them up and let them back into the stand. Grab a few toss them out and ban them for a couple of seasons and it would be stamped out fairly sharpish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It will cost them a fine because you know, UEFA. But fans like to see a bit of passion from smaller clubs or leagues.
    Yeah this is no biggie in reality unless they actually do something when on the pitch.

I get the security concerns all the same because all it takes is one bad apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Now the dust has settled it was a poor enough round in Europe for LOI sides outside of Rovers who were excellent in both legs.

Dundalk struggled to break down a limited albeit an organised Riga side. Dundalk just missing that bit of guile in the final third that a Daryl Horgan or David McMillan offered in previous campaigns. We need a massive step up to have any hope of testing Qarabeg but I think it might be beyond us

Cork were a disgrace. Let's call a spade a spade. They should be winning both legs against those jokers and their fans should be waiting in Cork Airport with bags of spuds to throw at the players when they return. That loss will cost them dearly as it might be a few seasons before they can compete again. The money earned against Rangers would have kept them in the mix next season and now that has disappeared

Pats were always going to struggle against a decent Swedish side. With the guaranteed European money in preseason they may have been able to sign another couple of players that may have made a difference but were obviously working off the smaller budget that they invested a lot of in Forrester

Rovers were excellent and deservedly went through playing a great brand of football. Byrne is a wizard and will surely be snapped up sooner rather than later. Finn, McEneff and Bolger are excellent also so it may not impact them massively. It'll be a tough test in Cyprus. We were there last year and it was extremely difficult conditions never mind the standard of the opposition. They played the game late afternoon in sweltering heat and humidity. I wouldn't write Rovers off after the Brann results but they might need a two goal win in Tallaght to have any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Big shout-out to Dan Carr as well, played a big role in the two goals and was completely out of steam after 15 minutes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Away from all the glamour of Europe.... huge night in the First Div!

gwalk wrote: »
    Did you travel up from Limerick for the game?

some trek as a neutral/Loi fan, fair play
    Yeah just went up and down for the game, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Was at the game last night and delighted we got the win - atmosphere was electric when Byrne turned (a sublime turn) and buried it.

Cummins was absolutely terrible - Carr offered so much more in terms of running and chasing and played a big part in both goals.

I didn't actually think Bolger had the best of games, he didn't get stuck in enough for me and showed them too much respect. I also didn't think the wing backs did enough going forward in either half - if you're playing with wing backs they have to be an outlet and drive forward when the team has the ball.
    Delighted with the second half performance, and thought Bradley made the correct calls on the subs which was nice to see - altho I felt Clarke for Kavangh should have been the final change but I would imagine Finn had a knock. His decision was justified as O'Neill did well and was composed for the goal.

In relation to the idiots on the pitch, it is stupid, the club will get fined as it happened twice, and the 2nd time fans made it on to the pitch and got a hold of the match ball to shoot in to the goal. It is worth pointing out most of the 'fans' who did this were kids who probably don't know how to control their adrenaline at that age.
    There was a bottle throwing incident in the second half too, again a young lad, but he was removed by the Gardaí with the help of other fans who pointed him out. I mean whats the point in throwing a bottle on to the pitch, you're only going to hit a steward or a Garda...idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tomw86

The crowd trouble was a big disappointment, from where I was sitting they looked like young teenagers, anyone over the age of 18 should be banned from the stadium, I did see one lad get taken away. Also there was a bottle thrown so that's not going to help. It looked like the Ultra's were trying to kick out who ever it was that threw the bottle.

I can confirm the bottle thrower was removed - proper order, absolutely stupid behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It shines a very bad light, this is a big no no in professional sport where the safety of players and officials is taken seriously.

It such a pity that this is the subject of discussion after a good night for LOI football.

It really isn't though ?
    We see it every single season near the end when teams get promoted, escape relegation,... and those are full blown pitch invasions as opposed to some kids running onto the pitch close to the stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Meh the fans running on the pitch were idiots and Rovers will be rightly fined but hardly scumbag material! , a poster above mentioned majority looked like kids! Rovers would want to nail it on the head though another repeat next week against Apollan and they will be hammered by Uefa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Great result for Rovers, very surprised Cummins lasted so long. Hes not upto that level of football physically. Carr and Greene offered much more over the 2 legs. Hopefully Bradley dosent make the same mistake again

The money from Europe is not mad money. What mad money is, after playing 36 matches in all weathers ( I know summer football) the prizemoney for the LOI from 1st to 10th. And it even worst in the 1st division.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The money from Europe is not mad money. What mad money is, after playing 36 matches in all weathers ( I know summer football) the prizemoney for the LOI from 1st to 10th. And it even worst in the 1st division.

Correct, the European money should be a bonus, not what keeps a club afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

wadacrack wrote: »
    Great result for Rovers, very surprised Cummins lasted so long. Hes not upto that level of football physically.

Give him a chance, he has make a big step up in levels. Also, he was coasting in Cork. There yet be a player in Cummins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Give him a chance, he has make a big step up in levels. Also, he was coasting in There yet be a player in Cummins.

True, same was said of Maguire when he joined City.

• Advertisement

Apparently the lucid proposal had 60k as the prize money for whoever finishs last overall, that's with it being more teams. Even allowing for the boost in sponsorship and TV money the league being all Ireland would bring it just goes to show how incompetent the FAI have been when it comes to the league, both in funding it and using it to generate money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Apparently the lucid proposal had 60k as the prize money for whoever finishs last overall, that's with it being more teams. Even allowing for the boost in sponsorship and TV money the league being all Ireland would bring it just goes to show how incompetent the FAI have been when it comes to the league, both in funding it and using it to generate money.

The FAI needed a LOI to compete internationally......nothing else.

1. They stepped in to protect the money making international games
    2. Developing the LOI would have meant work and not easy money
    3. The FAI setup meant from day one that schoolboys football was move valuable to the FAI board than the LOI clubs
    4. They are/were all in it for the money...that came playing Oman and not Waterford vs Finn Harps

At the end of the day each and every one of them has been on the gravey train, none more than one certain JD and his mates within the game.

As for Lucid....lets see what he comes up with when it matters. All talk at the moment....

The Problem Child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

The Problem Child: John Bhoy Delany and his merry men.

Fixed that for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Pitch invasion isn't great but isn't that big a deal as all they did was celebrate with their own players.

If they start messing with security, or officials, or opposition players, it gets more serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The stewards have a lot to answer for after the second pitch invasion.

The first one about 20 got onto the pitch. There was well over 100 on the pitch for the second one. More stewards should have been brought down to that end of the ground after the first one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Norwegian league not up to much if that's one of their better teams, 27th ranked?

Rovers much the better side than Brann in both legs and it's nice to not only go through, but to compete with them away and beat them at home. Not being intimidated by their ranking, their value, their stadium or bigger crowd like some LOI onlookers are.

LOI sides really shouldn't be fearing these teams anymore. Rovers have played seven games against Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Icelandic teams under Bradley and lost once. Whether they're paid millions or attendances of 30,000 or not.

Bertser wrote: »
    Big shout-out to Dan Carr as well, played a big role in the two goals and was completely out of steam after 15 minutes :D
    This!!
    I couldn't get over it, there was maybe three defenders on the halfway line near Carr as they lumped balls into the box and he was physically incapable of pressuring them in the slightest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

dfx- wrote: »
    Norwegian league not up to much if that's one of their better teams, 27th ranked?

Rovers much the better side than Brann in both legs and it's nice to not only go through, but to compete with them away and beat them at home. Not being intimidated by their ranking, their value, their stadium or bigger crowd like some LOI onlookers are.

LOI sides really shouldn't be fearing these teams anymore. Rovers have played seven games against Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Icelandic teams under Bradley and lost once. Whether they're paid millions or attendances of 30,000 or not.

Absolutely, but, Jack Byrne was the difference. Loi sides need to get to a fully professional level over a number of years to consistently have players like him in our teams. Such a great thing to say in a European game that we had the best technical player on the pitch by a mile.

We can't let this be a flash in the pan though because Jack Byrne will not spend his career in our league. We need to produce and attract more Jack Byrne s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We'll be lucky to hang onto Jack Byrne until the end of the summer window.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I remember Rovers fans saying the same things about Ger Rowe.

I remember Rovers fans saying the same things about Ger Rowe.

This is everyone saying it though

terrific effort against Dundalk crashed against the crossbar,

I’d say if there had been a match in Oriel tonight the ref would have had to abandon it, Lashing, thunder and lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

terrific effort against Dundalk crashed against the crossbar,

I’d say if there had been a match in Oriel tonight the ref would have had to abandon it, Lashing, thunder and lightning.
    Probably burn the plastic pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Norkopping too good for us over the 2 legs, for the few minutes we played with wingers we did alright.

They were dead on their feet but even with actual wingers we couldnt punish them.

Lovely stadium but what a weird ****ing place, weirdest place I have even been to with Pats (including Monaghan). Got there after 9pm on Tueday and had to hunt for a pint!!!

Zico ! wrote: »
    Probably burn the plastic pitch

Funny man Zico. Two sets of away supporters threw flares onto the pitch, one was drogheda, the other was ......................well you know who it was.

Not football related, but a fun quiz question

Dundalk also home of an all weather racecourse

https://www.dundalkstadium.com/

Racing was abandoned one night a few years ago.

why?

dreamers75 wrote: »

Lovely stadium but what a weird ****ing place, weirdest place I have even been to with Pats (including Monaghan). Got there after 9pm on Tueday and had to hunt for a pint!!!

I suspect that Baku will give a run for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Not football related, but a fun quiz question

Dundalk also home of an all weather racecourse

https://www.dundalkstadium.com/

Racing was abandoned one night a few years ago.

why?
    Armed robbery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I think it changed this year and every club and country stands on its own coefficient now. The exception is for clubs who have no coefficient of their or their own is lower than their countries ie Athlone Town and say Burnley who pick up their countries coefficients. Unfortunately the Irish coefficient is very low so Athlone Town = 1165, Burnley =14835. (Both to be updated)
    I think that’s how it works anyway.

Tried to argue on some AH car crash of a thread a few months back that the top of the League of Ireland would be competitive against the bottom of the Premiership/top of the Championship in England.

That European seedings list would seem to bear that theory out. Wolves/Burnley/Southampton/Everton etc seeded just below Quarabag. So in theory according to UEFA seedings we will find out how competitive Dundalk is against those ranked in the 70s and 80s on the seeding list.

Given performances in recent seasons against Bate (60th), Legia (90th), Rosenborg (113) and AZ Alkmaar (115) I expect them to fair well over two legs, but must be clinical with any chances created.

• Advertisement

Haha

No

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement