Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Equium wrote: »
    I have two quick questions for Bohs fans: where are away fans housed, and can I buy away tickets at Dalymount?

Cheers!

Depends on the team

Rovers, Pats Cork, Dundalk are usually housed in the Des Kelly stand

The rest of the league usually take up the last block in the main stand

Yes you can pay at the gate and unless you are a Rovers jersey wearing fan there would be nothing stopping you from going into the main stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

major bill wrote: »
    Depends on the team

Yes you can pay at the gate and unless you are a Rovers jersey wearing fan there would be nothing stopping you from going into the main stand.

Perfect, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Depends on the team

The Des Kelly stand is ****e btw! Awful view for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

dan1895 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm

That tweets been doing the rounds awhile now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That tweets been doing the rounds awhile now

It sure has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Holy, the amount of goals tonight. What an entertaining league we have :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

4 games, 22 goals.

Pats get 5

Waterford hit for 6 at home to limerick, yet another red for them.

City ......4 long balls .....4 goals ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Before tonight Limerick had 8 goals in 17 games, nearly equal that amount with 6 against Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It's never worked and will never work! I don't think there is any appetite for football in Kilkenny or Carlow, they won't get the crowds to sustain a team and the financial backing would have to be big to even try and get a team going. The FAI are the biggest cock block in the League of Ireland. If they relaxed the entry fee we could have a proper Pyramid system like they do up the North but its not financially viable to enter a team into the league at present.

While its hard to disagree with this even speaking as a Carlow man, i'd love a team here. There was rumours a few years ago that the IT were going to enter a team in division 1, same kind of setup as UCD with the guys doing the FAI course in the IT playing but nothing ever came of it. Its stupid really because they win the colleges leagues and cups nearly every year. Not too long ago it was IT Carlow A vs IT Carlow B in one of the cups so you'd think it would do players and county good. I did hear that most of the players on those teams were playing for decent enough clubs in LSL etc and couldn't commit to playing games at the weekends.

Theres plenty of decent players in Carlow-kilkenny, Evergreen lost out to Sheriff last year in the cup final. You'd worry about attendances though in fairness. Wexford Youths policy of getting half the south east "signed" to play for them has a lot to answer for at underage levels around the region and badly impacts Carlow-kilkenny IMO. The amount of young lads that go down and play a few games for them and are lead to believe their on their way to stardom only to end up back in juveniles/junior football and often giving up altogether after a crap experience is far too common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Aborah is a loose cannon.

He said something to the ref before he was sent off & was giving what looked like a stern talking to. You could sense the referee had him marked for a card.

He then launches himself into the air with a 2 footed challenge 10 mins later. Incredibly stupid.

Waterford were awful last night very complacent.

Limerick played & passed the ball very well. Fully deserved the the 2-0 lead before the red card.

I heard Waterford may not be allowed to play in Europe should they qualify as the club is only two years old. I thought the name change was just rebranding at the time but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

MD1990 wrote: »
    Aborah is a loose cannon.

He then launches himself into the air with a 2 footed challeenge....... Incredibly stupid

Bearing in mind he committed the foul (and got booked) that resulted in Stephen O’Donnell breaking his leg. Admittedly he never meant it to happen but you would think he would be less reckless going forward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

At this rate, he'll be suspended for more games that he'll actually play! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dan1895 wrote: »
    I heard Waterford may not be allowed to play in Europe should they qualify as the club is only two years old. I thought the name change was just rebranding at the time but apparently not.

Yeh, in today’s Indo.

JD hoping it’ll be sorted. Sure why would a top Uefa man want Uefa to enforce their own rules? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

It’s almost like Waterford have a discipline problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

bot43 wrote: »

No, it's all just a miscarriage of justice.

bot43 wrote: »

Don’t know how accurate this is( it’s the FAI after all)

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/competition/premier-division/id-021UJUE6PO000000VUM100GLVSO243I1-G#statistics

Indiscipline has cost good teams dearly over the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Wexford Youths policy of getting half the south east "signed" to play for them has a lot to answer for at underage levels around the region and badly impacts Carlow-kilkenny IMO. The amount of young lads that go down and play a few games for them and are lead to believe their on their way to stardom only to end up back in juveniles/junior football and often giving up altogether after a crap experience is far too common.

What do you mean exactly?

Is Carlow-Kilkenny FC playing in the underage LOI (just the u15s for now) not part of a plan to build it up through the grades to senior LOI eventually?

Is Carlow-Kilkenny FC playing in the underage LOI (just the u15s for now) not part of a plan to build it up through the grades to senior LOI eventually?

Until Kerry make that jump and move to senior level non of the others will and even at that I can't see any of these teams making the jump to senior as they'll only be amateur teams anyway. A league bridging the gap between 19s and senior is possibly the only way any of these teams such as Kerry, Mayo, Kilkenny/ Carlow and Monaghan/Cavan will think about making the jump from say u21s to senior as the jump from u19s to senior is too big.

And I can't see a league between senior and u19s coming in as it will place even more financial burden on teams and some teams already have such young squads that their average age could be low 20s so wouldn't need a u21s squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeh, in today’s Indo.

JD hoping it’ll be sorted. Sure why would a top Uefa man want Uefa to enforce their own rules? :rolleyes:
    That is bizarre stuff. Sure haven't other Irish teams been impacted by the same rule previously anyway?

CSF wrote: »
    That is bizarre stuff. Sure haven't other Irish teams been impacted by the same rule previously anyway?

Derry City a few years ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Is there any club more patient than Shamrock Rovers?

Results week after week are pushing Rovers down towards the relegation zone. Would any other manager get the backing that Bradley has received?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Is there any club more patient than Shamrock Rovers?

Results week after week are pushing Rovers down towards the relegation zone. Would any other manager get the backing that Bradley has received?

Surprised he hasn't been sacked already, at this stage he is doing significantly worse than any of Croly, Kenny or Fenlon ever did. 1 win from the second round of games is appalling but it doesn't feel like they are going to sack him for some reason, don't know what they are waiting on - Pats & Bohs both in the next week, two bad results there and I'd imagine they will have no choice.

• Advertisement

He took money from FIFA to shut up about a referreing decision.

Not exactly dealing with a man of high moral standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

If that is the plan theres been no mention of it around here anyway. I'm glad we have the 15s but it does seem to be a way to showcase those players to the LOI teams or even English teams rather than a pathway to senior football in carlow-kilkenny. Its the best opportunity for players from around here to get picked up by the bigger teams and maybe even a pathway to professional football for some of them but thats about the extent of the ambition as far as I can tell.

Surprised he hasn't been sacked already, at this stage he is doing significantly worse than any of Croly, Kenny or Fenlon ever did. 1 win from the second round of games is appalling but it doesn't feel like they are going to sack him for some reason, don't know what they are waiting on - Pats & Bohs both in the next week, two bad results there and I'd imagine they will have no choice.

To be fair Bradley isn’t afraid to play young players. This brings its own problems, not least when young players, under pressure, resort to doing silly things and get sent off. He has more or less sorted this out this year but Rovers are probably hoping the youth policy starts paying dividends. I have a some sympathy for him.

Best days work Rovers ever did was firing Kenny and for that we are forever grateful.
    He took money from FIFA to shut up about a referreing decision.

Not exactly dealing with a man of high moral standing.

Confess I didn’t know about the 3 year rule. Probably depends on how the debts etc were handled by the new owners.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Confess I didn’t know about the 3 year rule. Probably depends on how the debts etc were handled by the new owners.

Yes seen it mentioned somewhere also that when Derry reformed another thing stopping them from competing in Europe for the first 3 years was the debt still left by the old club and that Power supposely cleared the debt of Waterford before setting up a new entity to avoid a situation like that. Power is a footballing man that was probably looking at getting into Europe asap so probably knew about this rule and ways of getting around it by clearing the debt first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Did a bit of digging, seems to be the usual 'exception' clause in UEFA's own regulations to this that you can be certain Delaney must have got a green light from his UEFA contacts to allow Waterford FC register as a new entity and still be allowed to compete in Europe within 3 years.

The FAI's own website hosts UEFA's Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations Edition 2015 which confirms rules and potential exceptions. See Chapter 2 Article 12 [Page 13] and ANNEX I: Exceptions policy A. Principle 1. (d) [Page 47]

https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/UEFA%20Club%20Licensing%20and%20Financial%20Fair%20Play%20Regulations_Edition%202015_0.pdf

FAI's own licensing documents for 2018 quote this in 4.1.3. and 4.1.4. on Page 18

http://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2018%20Club%20Licensing%20Manual_2.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yes seen it mentioned somewhere also that when Derry reformed another thing stopping them from competing in Europe for the first 3 years was the debt still left by the old club and that Power supposely cleared the debt of Waterford before setting up a new entity to avoid a situation like that. Power is a footballing man that was probably looking at getting into Europe asap so probably knew about this rule and ways of getting around it by clearing the debt first.
    If all Waterford United's debts were paid off by Power before setting up the new entity then why did Power go through all the hassle in setting up a new entity in the first place? Any club can re-brand/change name etc. without winding down the club

Sounds to me that somebody must have been left out-of-pocket or that there was something not good lurking in Waterford United's FC accounts that necessitated winding up of that entity

New club fresh start, probably discussed it with the FAI for months before the season had ended like they did with Jack McCarty to set up Limerick 37 behind Danny Drews back and again with Pat O'Sullivan to set up a new Limerick behind McCarthy's back two years later and what will probably happen to Pat himself.

Didn’t Wexford manage to dump their debts without ‘changing’ the club.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bohs game will be Bradley's Cup final.

Lost that & surely he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Worrying times for Derry.

We were flying, now shipped 9 in 2 games. And Curtis on his way, so we'll need to bring in someone upfront or else.

Dean Shiels has been linked, son of Kenny. Might be a good stopgap, but just watching us against Dundalk last week really showed how slow we are up front.

In this league you can drop from 3Rd to 6th with a couple of defeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Pats certainly had the grass a lot longer than I’ve ever seen it for the Bohs game a couple of weeks ago

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Funnily enough I've thought Supple has been fairly poor for us this season, had a fair few ropey moments. Only 2 clean sheets all season.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Didn’t Wexford manage to dump their debts without ‘changing’ the club.?

No, what happened was Cerberus refused to follow through on the agreed repayment plan in stages and looked for the amount owed to Wallace in full. As we were unable to repay, the club was wound up. A new licence was applied for and granted to volunteers at the club under a new registered company. The FAI required us to disown the Youths crest and name, and fans/volunteers have been largely happy to do it, not including records on the website under the Youths name etc. Had we the money to do it, the crests would be more uniformly changed at the ground too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

No, what happened was Cerberus refused to follow through on the agreed repayment plan in stages and looked for the amount owed to Wallace in full. As we were unable to repay, the club was wound up. A new licence was applied for and granted to volunteers at the club under a new registered company. The FAI required us to disown the Youths crest and name, and fans/volunteers have been largely happy to do it, not including records on the website under the Youths name etc. Had we the money to do it, the crests would be more uniformly changed at the ground too.

I feel sorry for Wexford atm. Was at their match against Longford two weeks ago in Ferrycarrig. Wasn't much more than 100 people at it and they were well outclassed by Longford while playing a horrible style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Supple and Burke both in the squad for the France & USA friendlies, great to see, wonder when is the last time there were two LoI players in the squad? I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago saying I wonder how many current LoI players will play for Ireland at some stage in the future, I guessed 5. With these two in the squad and a lot of good young players around it could be a lot more than that.

Supple and Burke both in the squad for the France & USA friendlies, great to see, wonder when is the last time there were two LoI players in the squad? I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago saying I wonder how many current LoI players will play for Ireland at some stage in the future, I guessed 5. With these two in the squad and a lot of good young players around it could be a lot more than that.

Horgan and Boyle were both in the Squad in 2016.

Rovers vs Dundalk, Tallaght, June 1st, , Eirsport 8pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Rovers vs Dundalk, Tallaght, June 1st, , Eirsport 8pm

They should be showing the Munster derby between cork and Waterford on the same night. Ridiculous call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Patww79 wrote: »

Most neutrals wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sugarman wrote: »
    To be fair to O'Neills he's probably called up more LOI players than any other manager in last 50 years. Thats Rodgers, Horgan, Boyle, Byrne and Supple in 2 years.

Sean Maguire 100% deserved a call up before departing.

Cracking 2nd half. Waterford will feel a little unlucky but Dundalk should have been out of sight long before then, especially just after half time ( Patrick Hoban missed an absolute sitter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sean Maguire 100% deserved a call up before departing.
    Bad timing for Seani, it's much easier to call up players when we're in between campaigns.

On the other hand his move was great timing to put him in a position to cement his place in the squad for the next campaign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement