Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to buy the parts for my new PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you'll be streaming, I would suggest changing platform to AMD Ryzen.
    Those extra threads can make a big difference to your stream encoding.
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3288-amd-r5-2600-2600x-review-stream-benchmarks-gaming-blender/page-2

Get Ryzen 5-2600 if you're comfortable with overclocking; 2600X if you want the software to do it for you.
    Either on any X470 motherboard.
    Scythe Fuma isn't compatible with AM4; change it to Scythe Mugen 5/5 PCGH.

I would also suggest changing PSU for either EVGA G2 550W or Corsair RMx 650W.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 GrimDelta

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you'll be streaming, I would suggest changing platform to AMD Ryzen.
    Those extra threads can make a big difference to your stream encoding.
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3288-amd-r5-2600-2600x-review-stream-benchmarks-gaming-blender/page-2

Get Ryzen 5-2600 if you're comfortable with overclocking; 2600X if you want the software to do it for you.
    Either on any X470 motherboard.
    Scythe Fuma isn't compatible with AM4; change it to Scythe Mugen 5/5 PCGH.

I would also suggest changing PSU for either EVGA G2 550W or Corsair RMx 650W.

Thanks for your answer! Id rather stick to the i5 as I know it better than the Ryzen, Ive decided to go with the 8600 as apposed to the 8600k, so that eliminates the cooler fan also. The 750W is at a cheap price point on amazon at the moment, cheaper than even some of the lower power supply levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

GrimDelta wrote: »
    Id rather stick to the i5 as I know it better than the Ryzen

For your needs, the Ryzen is the better choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 8600 is good enough that it's not really going to be a concern either way, plus it's better in games putting streaming aside.

All things said and done though, I don't think it really matters at all for standard 60fps gameplay but I do agree the 2600X is probably a more logical choice here when starting a fresh build.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

GrimDelta wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer! Id rather stick to the i5 as I know it better than the Ryzen, Ive decided to go with the 8600 as apposed to the 8600k, so that eliminates the cooler fan also. The 750W is at a cheap price point on amazon at the moment, cheaper than even some of the lower power supply levels.

Is there any point using a Z370 if you're not going 'K'?
    With the savings of going H370/B370 along with the cooler, could you bump the ram to 16GB instead of 8GB?
    I've seen GTX1080's dropping in price lately, some a mere few euro off the 1070Ti prices...I'd put some thought into that too.

I still maintain a Ryzen build offers better value for you, more so if streaming is factored in as mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd go Ryzen as well, to be honest. I understand that you're more familiar with Intel and that buying "an i5" is a more of a known quantity, but you will see better gains with Ryzen vs Intel, and you'll also have an upgrade path; An X470 board (even X370) will be compatible with Zen 3 next year, if you decide you want more power then.

Also with Ryzen, you can drop to a B350 motherboard, and still be able to overclock. The only thing you really give up there is a little VRM cooling (if you're going for high-end OCing), or SLI, which isn't really recommended these days anyway.

Only other thing I'd suggest is maybe upping the SSD to a 500GB one, as 250 I find can fill up really quick, especially with games.

Advertisement