Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derogation to the Wildlife Act 2018 -19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Looks like the Senator who was doing his nut in silly season about sea gulls attacking people in Dublin got his way.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Is it not illegal to shoot a bird with a rifle ? I know down my way that’s what’s being taught on the firearms competency course. The reasoning is you can’t determine where the bullet will end up if it passes through the bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Luckysasha wrote:
    Is it not illegal to shoot a bird with a rifle ? I know down my way that’s what’s being taught on the firearms competency course. The reasoning is you can’t determine where the bullet will end up if it passes through the bird.

Its silly reasoning. Sure how can you determine where a bullet will end up if out passes through any animal? Isn't that the point of having a safe back stop when lining up a shot?
    Sounds like a ****e opinion from someone hoping to codge a few newbies into their way of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Luckysasha wrote: »

There's crossed wires or reasoning in the above quote.

Firstly the derogation makes it legal under the terms set out to kill wild birds with various methods including rifles, so no, under the terms of the derogation it's quite legal. This would relate to the use of a rifle while birds are on the ground (air rifle, rimfire or centre fire)or perched in trees or some such (the use of a air rifle is very common for this)

This however is not to be confused with the shooting of flying birds with rifles or the use of unsuitable firearms for shooting birds off a perch. This would not be considered good practice and practical common sense and hence is covered on a firearms safety course.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

So if the derogation gives an exemption to shoot certain birds with a rifle, must this be done with a rifle with no moderator fitted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Your over thinking this.
    Read over the derogation and it says nought to calibre, design or whether a moderator can or can or be used.

Simply put you may use a rifle to kill the species of birds listed in the derogation as long as you stick to the stated rules, ie dates allowed and must be in respect to the particular damage or nuisance each species are causing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I keep on saying that while it's great to educate yourself sometimes you can read/know too much.

The firearms and Wildlife acts read like the Bible. One part seems to contradict another, some are hard to understand, a lot will make you doubt you can do anything, and most will leave you confused.

Do what you want while staying within the law as much as possible. While ignorance is no excuse in the law, some laws are so vague and obscure that no one has ever heard of it let alone been prosecuted for it. AGS and the Rangers know that common sense is applied and they're not waiting for you in the fields (better things to be doing) so once you don't act the maggot you'll be fine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement