Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight night May 12. Fury/Sexton & Linares/Lomachenko

• 12-05-2018 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭

Channel 5 from 21:00 you can watch Fury/Sexton

Sky channel 427 (BoxNation) from 03:00 tomorrow morning you can watch Michael Conlan in action. Then Linares defends against Lomachenko.

Both Lomachenko and Linares weighed 134.6, and both look similarly sized. Expect Linares to be 6/7 lbs heavier than Lomachenko in the ring.

BoxBation coverage begins at midnight, not 03:00.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I know Mick is only 6 fights in to his pro career, but he needs to step it up a little bit now I would think, the caliber of bums he is fighting is shameless. 1/500 he is tonight.

Look forward to watching nomaschenko later, I expect him to win a decision but am hoping to see him troubled at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I know Mick is only 6 fights in to his pro career, but he needs to step it up a little bit now I would think, the caliber of bums he is fighting is shameless. 1/500 he is tonight.

Look forward to watching nomaschenko later, I expect him to win a decision but am hoping to see him troubled at least

Agreed on MC. Wake me up when he’s due to fight someone..

The Linares/Loma fight is intriguing.

Why I think it is not cut and dried: Loma is not a puncher, not overly physical/strong. This should suit Linares. Allow him some comfort. Linares can punch fluidly, good reach, extension, is fit and can box and mix it up..

I don’t think we see a Lomachenko stoppage. If it goes to cards expect a fair few very tight rds..

Linares should present Lomachenko’s biggest test. Only area I see where Loma can exploit to weaken and break Linares is the body, but can Loma work it enough? I don’t think Linares allows him that luxury.

We’ve been over this. A career talented amateur with pedigree...maybe someone rated with a “better” chance of losing than 500 to 1 on..

Not expecting him to be in against elite....but seems like he’s going backwards with these opponents...definitely his last opponent showed this. I don’t expect much better tonight based off the odds..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Just a heads up that the Loma fight is starting at approx 2am. Bit earlier than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Mick is fighting Adeilson Dos Santos who has challenged for a world title in Belfast after this so a slight step up there at least.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Just a heads up that the Loma fight is starting at approx 2am. Bit earlier than normal.

BoxNation now have it advertised (on tv channel) to begin at midnight..

On their website it’s 03:00...

Midnight it is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hughie needs a victory and a victory in style to get him back on the scene.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hughie is bound to win this. He’s said he’s going to throw... I’ll believe that when I see it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Hughie Fury curing insomnia world wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Beautiful finish from Hughie there.

• Advertisement

Decent fight I thought, lovely punch to finish it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hughie Fury curing insomnia world wide.

That’s nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Good finish but Sexton was always a B level fighter

Good fight and a very good stoppage from the ref. Sexton was too slow and not in great condition. Father Time has caught up with him and he should retire. Hughie is above British level. Hard to say where he is but I’d love to see him take on a contender now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Good finish from Fury, but he's hardly great to watch is he? Quick on the feet I suppose but he didn't look great on the inside to me.

No problems with the stoppage as Sexton wasn't gonna do much from where he was.

He's still very young for top Heavies, but I can't see him troubling any of the top guys. Any idea who he fights next?

Plenty of power in that right hand, still only 23, plenty of time to improve.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Hughie needs a victory and a victory in style to get him back on the scene.

He did just that. Sexton was in trouble from an early stage. You must be delighted for your cousin.:)

I thought he was very good tonight. Sexton has easily as much about him as Lucas Browne and at 23 he has loads of time too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Now mandatory for Joe Joyce's Commonwealth title. Decent fight that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Good fight and a very good stoppage from the ref. Sexton was too slow and not in great condition. Father Time has caught up with him and he should retire.

Sexton was never that great to begin with.
    He made his name off two wins over Martin Rogan, and he was extremely lucky to win the first of those two.
    Him Vs Cornish was an extremely low level fight for the British title, Cornish isn't up to much.

Overall he's done very well to accomplish what he has with the ability (and lack of conditioning) he possessed.

• Advertisement

Yep I won’t argue with any of those points

This lad is atrocious..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

walshb wrote: »
    This lad is atrocious..

Looks poor enough yeah. You'd think they'd be testing Conlan a little bit by now at least? Are they being too careful?

Looks poor enough yeah. You'd think they'd be testing Conlan a little beat by now at least? Are they being too careful?

I’ll let pac_man answer that.

MC trying very hard. This lad is elusive and spoiling. MC should focus more on the body..

I wonder is there something up with Conlan's left hand, as outside of single jabs he's used it very sparingly for hooking or body shots, whereas he's using the right from all angles.

Maybe just working on the right-sided offense?

Why does Steve Bunce have a career?

weemcd wrote: »
    Why does Steve Bunce have a career?

Because he knows his boxing inside out.

I have Bunce down as a complete and total spoofer of the absolute highest order. Does he have a boxing background? I cannot stand the man and don't know how anyone else can.

Hopkins knows a fool when he sees one, and doesn't suffer fools either.

• Advertisement

Bunce is magnetic and has bags of charisma...

Advertisement