Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect Fees

Options
  • 12-05-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    Hope someone can give me an idea. I am hoping to renovate a house in Kerry. I have planning permission. I now need architect to do tender and the n hopefully do all site visits and sign off on building for mortgage.
    I have been quoted approx €7500 for this. The first part being the drawing and safety reports coming in near €3500 and then stage 2 overseeing and signing off on project approx at €4000. Just wondering if anyone knows is this a reasonable price? I don't mind if it is slightly higher than norm as I know architect will work well for me but don't want to be swindled!!
    Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why don’t you get 2 more quotes then you’ll know for a fact if it’s good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mikeo004

kceire wrote: »
    Why don’t you get 2 more quotes then you’ll know for a fact if it’s good value.

Thanks. Trying that too only thing is it will take a few weeks and if I go with the guy I have he can put it on jobs list now hence saving me a few months and rent!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mikeo004 wrote: »
    Thanks. Trying that too only thing is it will take a few weeks and if I go with the guy I have he can put it on jobs list now hence saving me a few months and rent!

Well if it’s worth anything, I think it’s a good price.
    I’m not 100% up on Kerry pricing but Dublin would be probably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

It does depend on how much you are planning to spend, but €7,500 sounds like a very good price. What is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Little off topic as this is not about house in Kerry but may help people who wandered here looking for "Architect Fees".
    After Cathal O'Neill architects website (http://www.oneillarch.ie):
    Architects’ Fees
    It is a common misconception that architects will only accept fees based on a percentage of the building. Most firms, including this one, are happy to carry out the work for either a fixed fee or an hourly rate. For most services we charge our partners’ time at €126 per hour and our assistants’ time at €90 per hour. A flat fee for a typical house of, say, 150 sq m (1,600 sq ft) and costing €300,000 would be in the order €30,000, but we would quote for each project separately. In the case of flat fees it is necessary to make additional charges for any changes arising from issues outside the architect’s control such as the clients changing their mind. We do not generally charge extra for travel.

Typically and traditionally architects charge the fees based on a percentage of the building cost (net of VAT). The percentage varies with the degree of difficulty of the task with large simple buildings attracting the lowest percentage fee and small complicated buildings, for example an extension to a Protected Structure (Listed Building), attracting the highest. The percentages might range from 5% to 15% in these two examples. Architects do not charge fees on elements not included in the contract, for example furniture and carpets or sometimes decoration, unless of course they are involved in the selection and purchasing of these items. The RIAI does not publish a scale of recommended or minimum fees but does carry out surveys of the fees charged by its members.

The fees described above all refer to a complete service form inception to completion. A limited service, for example to planning permission would cost 35% of the overall fee, (€10,500 in the example used above) or from planning to obtaining tenders would also cost 35% of the overall fee. Monitoring a contract on site to completion costs 30% of the overall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement