Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team of the Year (outside top 6)

• 12-05-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭

It's easy to pick a Team of the Year if you include Salah, KDB, Sterling, Kane and the like.

What about those who often don't get noticed in teams that aren't City, Utd, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal.

Pope
    Zabaleta Schindler Tarkowski Bertrand
    Gross Milivojevic Doucouré
    Zaha Arnautovic Izquierdo

Tough task IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Haven’t seen much football this season outside of United but from what I have seen I’ll give it a go.

Fabianski
    Lowton, Tarkowski, Dunk, Fuchs
    Shaqiri, Kouyate, Milivojevic, Zaha
    Vardy, Arnautovic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Pope
    Cedric tarkowski mee bertrand
    cork doucoure
    Zaha gross. Arnautovic
    Barnes
    Mee has been just as good as tarkowski this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Pickford
    Schelotto Duffy Lascelles Van Aanholt
    Fraser Milivojevic Doucoure
    Shaqiri Zaha Tadic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pickford

--Coleman
    Maguire
    Lascelles
    Van Aanholt

Doucoure
    Hojbjerg

Mahrez
    Arnautovic
    Zaha----

Vardy

Don't see how u can have a non top 6 team with no Burnley players in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Tarkowski should be automatic pick IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Burnley to me are a team that work due to the sum of their parts rather than the parts themselves. I'll be very surprised if the likes of Tarkowski and Mee aren't Championship players in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lascelles is a glaring omission from my team actually. How did I forget him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't see how u can have a non top 6 team with no Burnley players in it.

Wonder why this is top 6? No Arsenal player getting near any team of any season, even if non top 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Pope
    Yedlin Tarkowski Lascelles Ward
    cook ndidi
    gudmundsson gros zaha
    vardy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pickford
    Cedric Tarkowski Lascelles Ward
    Zaha Doucoure Shaqiri Gross
    Vardy Arnautovic

Obviously this isn't designed to be a tactically functional team and rather a who's who of who was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    Pickford
    Vardy Arnautovic

Obviously this isn't designed to be a tactically functional team and rather a who's who of who was good.

Cedrics been uniformally awful, from what I've heard from Southampton fans. I like the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Cedrics been uniformally awful, from what I've heard from Southampton fans. I like the rest of it.

Same with Zabaleta too, you'd wonder where some people are getting these names out of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pope
    Coleman Tarkowski Lascelles Masuaku
    Mooy Doucoure Shelvey
    Arnautovic Zaha Kenedy

With a little more thought I might change one or two, but those are the names that come to mind and I’m happy enough with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Begovic
    Zabaleta--Tarkowski--Hegazi--Ward
    ----Milivojevic
    Doucoure
    Mahrez
    Grob----Arnautovic
    Vardy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Pope
    Lowton Tarkowski Schindler Masuaku
    Shaqiri Mooy Doucoure Gudmunsson
    Zaha Arnautovic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Pickford
    Bruno Tarkowski Duffy Ward
    Ndidi
    Knockaert Groß Mahrez
    Vardy

Manager: Sam Allardyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

What metric are people judging goalkeepers on? After De Gea, Nick Pope has the best stats for the number of saves per goal conceded. He also has the highest number of clean sheets outside of the top 5. It puzzles me how anyone could consider another keeper for the team.

Talisman wrote: »
    What metric are people judging goalkeepers on? After De Gea, Nick Pope has the best stats for the number of saves per goal conceded. He also has the highest number of clean sheets outside of the top 5. It puzzles me how anyone could consider another keeper for the team.

Makes no sense to me either. He has been a lot better than Pickford for example.

The defence in front of the keeper or indeed managers philosophy has a big influence on number of clean sheets a keeper keeps. It's no great indicator of who's the best. I know which one England will be starting first game of World Cup

• Advertisement

Pope

- Smith - Tarkowski - Maguire - Baines

Doucoure
    GroB

--- Mahrez
    Tadic
    Arnautovic

Vardy

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The defence in front of the keeper or indeed managers philosophy has a big influence on number of clean sheets a keeper keeps. It's no great indicator of who's the best. I know which one England will be starting first game of World Cup
    And what is your explanation for discounting the number of saves a goalkeeper makes per goal conceded? This season, Pope has saved 3-4 shots per goal conceded, as has De Gea. The other goalkeepers made 1-2 saves per goal conceded.

And what is your explanation for discounting the number of saves a goalkeeper makes per goal conceded? This season, Pope has saved 3-4 shots per goal conceded, as has De Gea. The other goalkeepers made 1-2 saves per goal conceded.
    For me I went with the eye test. My team is picked on all the games I've seen over the season and for me Begovic was the most impressive.

Pope was very good too and he was in consideration for the pick but Begovic just manages his area better right now.

You can talk stats all day long and prove one player is better than another through them but for example, you wouldn't pick Shane Duffy over Tarkowski even though he has had more blocks, clearances and headed clearances would you?

3 centrebacks as I couldn’t separate my 3 favourite defenders

Pope

Duffy Tarkowski Lascelles

Doucoure Mooy

Shaqiri Gross Zaha

Vardy Arnautovic

A shout out to Lemina who impressed me the few times I seen him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

I would have a few of the wolves team before some of the player's mentioned here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I would have a few of the wolves team before some of the player's mentioned here

I'm no detective but I'm pretty confident they didn't play against the same calibre of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I picked my team on the games I’ve seen. Fabianski has stood out a mile from the rest for me, some ridiculous saves from him this season.

Sure if it’s just going by stats then Vardy is just as glaring an omission.

eagle eye wrote: »
    For me I went with the eye test. My team is picked on all the games I've seen over the season and for me Begovic was the most impressive.

Pope was very good too and he was in consideration for the pick but Begovic just manages his area better right now.

You can talk stats all day long and prove one player is better than another through them but for example, you wouldn't pick Shane Duffy over Tarkowski even though he has had more blocks, clearances and headed clearances would you?
    If you think Begovic is the most impressive goalkeeper outside of the top 6 teams then you must not have watched much of the season. He makes mistakes that cost his team on a regular basis - off the top of my head I can think of his errors against Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham this season. I've no doubt there were others too.

You can try to dismiss stats by talking about defenders but it has no relevance to a discussion about the position of goalkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Really hard for any of us to make judgement calls on the likes of Lowton vs Zabaleta.

Here is what the stats say (Whoscored).

I've only included players with 25+ appearances, and only included players in positions where they've actually regularly appeared this season.

Pope (6.94)

Dawson (7.03)---Tomkins (7.30)--Tarkowski (7.23)
    Ward(6.90)

Ndidi (7.14)
    Doucoure (7.01)

Mahrez (7.24)
    Zaha (7.36)
    Townsend (7.09)

Arnautovic (7.0)

There's a fair few CBs who scored over 7.0, Duffy, Mee, Schindler and others.

Not a perfect system of course, but when I've seen so little of these players play a full 90 minutes more than two or three times it's as good a way as any to decide and I wouldn't object too much to the team here. Dawson perhaps a surprise, Townsend maybe too.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Pickford
    Vardy Arnautovic

Almost identical to my team. Replace Pickford with Pope and Cedric with Aké.

If you think Begovic is the most impressive goalkeeper outside of the top 6 teams then you must not have watched much of the season. He makes mistakes that cost his team on a regular basis - off the top of my head I can think of his errors against Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham this season. I've no doubt there were others too.

You can try to dismiss stats by talking about defenders but it has no relevance to a discussion about the position of goalkeeper.
    Regardless of the position you cannot rely on stats.

I've seen every keeper in the league make errors, Pope included, remember Chelsea?

Rekop dog wrote: »

There's a lot more to goalkeeping than shot stopping. Like De Gea is a better shotstopper than Ederson but the latters distribution is so good Pep would play him over De Gea if he had both as he suits his playing style so much.

Others like Pickford have a fantastic command of their area and natural leadership qualities and is an all round better goalkeeper than Pope which is why he'll be England's number 1 This summer.

Advertisement