Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch new system not contacting monitoring centre

Options
  • 12-05-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all,
    Just want to run something by everyone here. I am a longtime customer of phonewatch and late last year I upgraded my system to the latest model which is a GSM based system that sends the activation and pictures to the monitoring station. Since the upgrade I have had a technician out 3 times as I accidentally activated the alarm but received no call from them as there was no signal to the monitoring station. Last week I questioned the guy a little more on what exactly was happening and he said while it is a GSM system it really needs to be wired to my router to send the signal???? I find this hard to digest as my main reason for upgrading was so I could get rid of my landline/broadband completely so from what I now understand this new system must have a very strong GSM signal and a wired broadband connection as without the broadband connection if all of my motion sensors are activated by a burglar it just jams the system and the monitoring centre receive no signals whatsoever. Needless to say I am very disappointed and feel I have upgraded to a lesser quality system with many many flaws.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And were they not calling you to let you know no signals were being received.
    New good reliable system could notify you in 15 minutes of communications failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Op, for professional monitoring I would not at all recommend using a router for notifications.
    If the power goes, then so does your communication capability, a loss of comms is not an indication of a break in.
    Now as you have a Phone Watch system then chances are you have a decoy alarm box on your house, therefore no noise outside.

Is there a remote keypad on this system?
    If so I wonder could the control panel unit which has the SIM card within repositioned elsewhere in your home where perhaps mobile network coverage may be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mkeavney37

Well they did call me to say they would send a tech out as there was a signal issue, but at the moment it’s quite hard to have any faith in the system

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As a matter of interest.. Do PW not use international sim cards.
    It's very rare to see GSM signal struggle like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mkeavney37

KoolKid wrote: »
    As a matter of interest.. Do PW not use international sim cards.
    It's very rare to see GSM signal struggle like this.

Yes they do it’s a T2 sim as I told him that Vodafone was the strongest signal in our area and he said that it would then pick up the strongest provider but even after having the control box replaced & moved twice it still struggles

• Advertisement

Something not right there. I presume that you are not in the middle of nowhere.

Advertisement