Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting property while abroad

Options
  • 12-05-2018 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

am I right in thinking that I pay 20% of my income from rental in tax if I work and live abroad?

Or does it depend on how much I earn abroad?

Also I would pay 5% to an agent?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

dev_ire wrote: »
    Hi,

am I right in thinking that I pay 20% of my income from rental in tax if I work and live abroad?

The simple answer is no.
    The tenants are obliged to deduct tax at standard rate and pay it to revenue. The actual tax bill may be higher or lower depending on your overall income and the level of deductions available.
    AN agent will likely charge 10% for let and management. 5-6% for let only. It is all negotiable and some are charging more.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Thanks but just my foreign income come into play?

Or is it 20% tax that the agent would handle and then the 10% agent fees?
    4ensic15 wrote: »
    The simple answer is no.
    The tenants are obliged to deduct tax at standard rate and pay it to revenue. The actual tax bill may be higher or lower depending on your overall income and the level of deductions available.
    AN agent will likely charge 10% for let and management. 5-6% for let only. It is all negotiable and some are charging more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Thanks but just my foreign income come into play?

Or is it 20% tax that the agent would handle and then the 10% agent fees?

You need an accountant. Without knowing the full details of your situation it would be difficult to give a proper steer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,

The simple answer is no.
    That’s oy if the tenant is paying into a foreign account.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This will depend as much on the tax regime where you live as anything else, e.g. the UK and Ireland tend to tax those living in the other more closely than people living elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

ted1 wrote: »
    Hi,

The simple answer is no.
    That’s oy if the tenant is paying into a foreign account.
    Nope that's in all cases where you have a non resident landlord. Doesn't matter where the bank account is.

In saying that would I feel comfortable paying rent to a foreign bank account? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Nope that's in all cases where you have a non resident landlord. Doesn't matter where the bank account is.

In saying that would I feel comfortable paying rent to a foreign bank account? Probably not.
    In ALL cases?
    Are you sure?
    Or is this something you half remember and state as fact here?

Where rents are paid directly to a person whose usual place of abode is outside the
    State, the tenant is obliged to deduct income tax at the standard rate from the
    payment (section 1041 TCA 1997). The tenant then gives the landlord a certificate of
    the tax deducted on Form R185 (Certificate of Income Tax Deducted). The landlord is
    entitled to claim relief for expenses which are usually allowed in arriving at the
    rental profit and may be entitled to a proportion of personal allowances. Note: For
    the purposes of section 1041, payment into a bank account in the name of the
    landlord is payment directly to the landlord.
    Where rents are paid to a person whose usual place of abode is in the State, for
    example to an Irish based estate agent acting on behalf of a non-resident landlord,
    the tenant is not obliged or entitled to deduct income tax. The non-resident landlord
    is chargeable in the name of the Irish agent. The Irish agent is not entitled to deduct
    tax from the rent on payment to the landlord but may retain a sufficient portion of
    the rents to satisfy the tax payable on the rents (section 1046(2) TCA 1997). The
    agent should not issue a Form R185 to the landlord.

vandriver wrote: »
    In ALL cases?
    Are you sure?
    Or is this something you half remember and state as fact here?

Well its not something I am as passionate about as evidently you are ....but here you go

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-45/45-01-04.pdf

Well its not something I am as passionate about as evidently you are ....but here you go

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-45/45-01-04.pdf
    This is reproduced in my last post.
    Well,not all of it,just the bit that shows you should do a bit of research before posting.

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote: »
    This is reproduced in my last post.
    Well,not all of it,just the bit that shows you should do a bit of research before posting.

Sorry, but i must be getting old. Your post is the same as my post and still proves the point I was making. If you are paying rent to a non resident landlord you always deduct the 20% irregardless of where his bank account is.

I am guessing you are alluding to a situation where you pay your rent to an agency based in Ireland, in this case they are paying the landlord you are paying them. Since you are paying them and they are "resident" then you dont deduct the money..

Anyway...not a passion of mine, was just correcting the post from ted1.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Ok thanks everyone.

Advertisement