Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company cars, allowances and maintenance

Options
  • 12-05-2018 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been asked to look into the provision of EVs as company cars here at work and there are a few things that I just can't get my head around/ get an answer to.

1. Allowances.
    Currently at work with ICE cars, guys fill up their cars, get the receipt, submit receipt, get refunded up to an agreed amount every month. Go over amount, pay out of own pocket.
    The question we have is, how do we cover lads with EVs for the price of the electricity used for charging the car at home. Are there any chargers that would provide a paper printout of Electricity used for charging? Is there anybody who currently has EV company cars - How does your company handle the cost of charging the cars? Do ye just give flat rate expenses or how are they vouched for?

2. BIK
    The company we use for the lease cars builds into the lease price a car rental cost and a maintenance cost. Would that maintenance cost be BIK taxable? My understanding is that it isn't but my supervisor is not sure.

Looking for feedback for how other companies are handling these issues as there is no possibility of installing charge points at office as we work on customer site

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Hi All,

I've been asked to look into the provision of EVs as company cars here at work and there are a few things that I just can't get my head around/ get an answer to.

1. Allowances.
    Currently at work with ICE cars, guys fill up their cars, get the receipt, submit receipt, get refunded up to an agreed amount every month. Go over amount, pay out of own pocket.
    The question we have is, how do we cover lads with EVs for the price of the electricity used for charging the car at home. Are there any chargers that would provide a paper printout of Electricity used for charging? Is there anybody who currently has EV company cars - How does your company handle the cost of charging the cars? Do ye just give flat rate expenses or how are they vouched for?

2. BIK
    The company we use for the lease cars builds into the lease price a car rental cost and a maintenance cost. Would that maintenance cost be BIK taxable? My understanding is that it isn't but my supervisor is not sure.

Looking for feedback for how other companies are handling these issues as there is no possibility of installing charge points at office as we work on customer site

2) While I've not seen anything specific in relation to the maintenance of the car, I would expect that the EV is BIK exempt on the maintenance cost associated with the lease as this would normally not be covered by the employee anyway(tyres,service,car tax and breakdown support).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We get the civil service rates, so there is zero incentive to drive an EV car actually the incentive is to drive a car larger than 1.6l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

ted1 wrote: »
    We get the civil service rates, so there is zero incentive to drive an EV car actually the incentive is to drive a car larger than 1.6l

Civil service mileage allowance can be claimed for an EV. So even if your employer insists on the lowest mileage rate, you’re still well up financially. “Fuel” cost is about €2 for 100km in my Leaf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Civil service mileage allowance can be claimed for an EV. So even if your employer insists on the lowest mileage rate, you’re still well up financially. “Fuel” cost is about €2 for 100km in my Leaf.

19c per KM IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

kceire wrote:
    19c per KM IIRC

Have you seen a source for this?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    19c per KM IIRC

Is it not more like 38c per Km, based on the “up to 1200cc” rate?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Have you seen a source for this?

My job!
    Large local Authority

I’ll tey route out something official but the rates dropped kat last year. They are now broken into bands.

https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2017/05.pdf

Maybe I’m talking about the reduced rates above and beyond the max limits so maybe I’m mixing the figures up?

My job!
    Large local Authority

I’ll tey route out something official but the rates dropped kat last year. They are now broken into bands.

Maybe I’m talking about the reduced rates above and beyond the max limits so maybe I’m mixing the figures up?

This has just come up where I work too.

The normal rate for EV is the "Up to 1200cc" category, so starting at €0.3795 per km and then varying depending on distance covered.

The "reduced" rate gets applied where you drive for things like conferences, courses and staff development. That is a flat rate of €0.1659 for EVs regardless of distance. I guess the thinking behind this is, if your employer is already paying for you to attend some sort of professional development, then they should get a break on how much they pay you for the travel bit.

The other thing to be aware of is the insurance implications. I drive a very small amount in relation to work (maybe 500km at most per year), but even that had an impact when renewing my car insurance. It added about €50 to my premium. If in doubt, mention it to your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

My job!
    Large local Authority

Times have changed from when I worked in the PS. IIRC, I used to get about €1.27 per mile, up to 4,000 miles. Pure Celtic Tiger stuff!

n97 mini wrote: »
    Times have changed from when I worked in the PS. IIRC, I used to get about €1.27 per mile, up to 4,000 miles. Pure Celtic Tiger stuff!

Yeah. they've dropped a fair bit. Not sure exactly when, but even up until a couple of years ago they were about 50% higher than they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    A query in relation to insuring an EV which is a company car. Presently my wife and I have our private car insurance with Allianz. We hope to buy a 2018 Leaf as a company car. Allianz said they don't cover EV as company cars or that they don't provide company car insurance period. I would appreciate any info regarding insurance firms who provide company car insurance policies and in particular those that cover EV company cars. Thanks

Hi
    A query in relation to insuring an EV which is a company car. Presently my wife and I have our private car insurance with Allianz. We hope to buy a 2018 Leaf as a company car. Allianz said they don't cover EV as company cars or that they don't provide company car insurance period. I would appreciate any info regarding insurance firms who provide company car insurance policies and in particular those that cover EV company cars. Thanks

Not quite the same thing, but I have my LEAF insured with RSA and the insurance covers work-related mileage. It's still a private car, though.

So, maybe give RSA a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

To answer the ops questions,

The average amount of kilowatts used per km could be used to calculate the amount of electricity used at home to charge, by using company mileage travelled as the accounting method, and making sure fair payment comesurate, With distance travelled.

Maintenance on EVs is practically nil except for tyres.

The car will display this kWh used per km travelled ( it'll be a lot higher in winter )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi
    Try Arachas https://www.arachas.ie

Advertisement