Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing for student house share - Things I should be aware of?

Options
  • 12-05-2018 10:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

So the story is, I'm viewing a college student house tomorrow. It was advertised on a college facebook accommodation page by one of the students living there. It's available for 3 months and is non owner occupied, all which suit me perfectly.

So what might be the things I need to be aware of, as well things I should ask, when viewing it? I'm not sure whether many others will have viewed it; so I don't know if I'll be in a position to say "okay, now that I've seen it, I'll have a think about it". Saying that might put me at a lesser chance of getting it. Also, the place itself could be quite different from the way I imagine it based on the photos in the advert. There might be a lot to take in during a viewing and I and don't want to feel forced into making a quick decision!

I'm not sure in these situations if it's the landlord who's chosen the price advertised, or the student? Should I expect to be handing the cash each month to the student, or the landlord? There was also no mention of a deposit. In the digs I'm in at the moment, there's no deposit as there's an element of trust. Might that be the case here too. There'll be about 3 weeks between when I view it, and when I move in, so should I be skeptical if I'm asked for money before the very day I move in?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 CulptPrit

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If it's in Dublin be prepared to take it on the spot. A deposit would be required to hold it usually. Get a receipt.

Go with your gut in relation to the house mates/whether it's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Expect variable quality and a reluctance to fix issues.

Find out exactly who is living there - some people like to have semi-resident boy/girlfriends.

What is the type of contract? Lease? Licencee?

Who is the landlord?

What bills are included in the rent? What bills aren't included in the rent? Who are the bills with? What services are / aren't connected at the moment?

How much is the rent? When is it due?

A month's deposit is standard, although some ask for two months. If you aren't moving in right away, I would consider paying the security deposit, but not the first month's due, and then pay the rent as it comes due. Be very wary of paying a booking deposit - you won't get it back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 CulptPrit

Victor wrote: »

Who is the landlord?
    The landlord is a relative of one of the 3 lads I met. They all seemed fine, and they'll be back in September. One of them by chance knew my neighbour from back home. I'm going to be paying them into a bank account. But the account is of one of the lads, and not the landlord.

It seems as if I'll be paying him, so that he can transfer the money to the landlord. Is this common?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

End of academic year, thousands of students will depart their accommodation.

AirBnB a PIA for many landlords so 3 month lets are great if you can find tenants.

Your difficulty will be in three months so make hay!

• Advertisement
Advertisement