Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferry delay/ kids question please Dublin/ Holyhead

• 12-05-2018 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I haven't been on a ferry since I was a kid, now I have 4 kids and am thinking about planning a trip to Wales in the summer.
    What I want to know please, just so I can plan for the kids, is how much time in advance of the ferry crossing do you have to be there, and assuming there's no delays, how long is spent waiting in the car until we get on the ferry? Also, do ferries usually run on time, or are they often delayed?
    Strange question I know, but before I get everyone's hopes up, I want to make sure I'll be able to manage this, and how much food, etc. I need to pack for the car. Many thanks in advance, as much detail as possible will really really help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

Loads !! The expectation about going to dublin port - watching for your ship.. Spotting other families - your car going up the ramp, tight parking. Smells of the ship clambering up stairs.. 4 kids in the car- they will pass out with excitement and the noise and cheers

Why would you cut this tight! I dont remember waiting long in the car - lot more waiting on ship and frankly ship journey is not that exciting - open grey water everywhere. Of course leaving dublin up on deck looking at lighthouses and bay is good is nice to see.

How much to bring - well you are not allowed access to to your car - so bring picnic up in the boat.. Where are you heading for - I drove not far from the the ferry to some slate museum - great place to stretch the legs .. or Caernarfon - fabulous castle..

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

G-Man wrote: »
    Loads !! The expectation about going to dublin port - watching for your ship.. Spotting other families - your car going up the ramp, tight parking. Smells of the ship clambering up stairs.. 4 kids in the car- they will pass out with excitement and the noise and cheers

Why would you cut this tight! I dont remember waiting long in the car - lot more waiting on ship and frankly ship journey is not that exciting - open grey water everywhere. Of course leaving dublin up on deck looking at lighthouses and bay is good is nice to see.

How much to bring - well you are not allowed access to to your car - so bring picnic up in the boat.. Where are you heading for - I drove not far from the the ferry to some slate museum - great place to stretch the legs .. or Caernarfon - fabulous castle..

Thanks so much. It's like planning a strategic military operation bringing kids on holiday isn't it?!
    Reason I was wondering is that we also have a 3.5 hour journey to get to Dublin port, so considering we've never left Ireland before as a family, this is a mammoth undertaking for us!
    Yes, we'd love to see Caernarfon castle and also the Llechwedd slate mine looks cool, we'd be staying near Llandudno for the week, and visiting everywhere from there...hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

There are generally more passengers than seats on ferries, so I'd always prefer to be early and waiting on board, seated, than walking the ship looking for a place to sit. You'll have the bar, restaurants, general setaing areas, soft play area, cinema & of course the deck to explore and it's not a long trip.

Any time we've taken the ferry we've never waiting longer than 20 minutes to drive on. As previous poster noted; anything you need for the journey should be brought up on deck with you.

Llandudno is a nice spot. When we stayed in Prestatyn we did a day trip up. The tram to the summit was a highlight & just beyond the midway stop there a mine/cave system that's well worth a visit, after which you can continue to the summit.

Lots of small museums & visitor attractions in that part of Wales so you shouldn't be short on things to do.

fdevine wrote: »
    There are generally more passengers than seats on ferries, so I'd always prefer to be early and waiting on board, seated, than walking the ship looking for a place to sit. You'll have the bar, restaurants, general setaing areas, soft play area, cinema & of course the deck to explore and it's not a long trip.

Any time we've taken the ferry we've never waiting longer than 20 minutes to drive on. As previous poster noted; anything you need for the journey should be brought up on deck with you.

Llandudno is a nice spot. When we stayed in Prestatyn we did a day trip up. The tram to the summit was a highlight & just beyond the midway stop there a mine/cave system that's well worth a visit, after which you can continue to the summit.

Lots of small museums & visitor attractions in that part of Wales so you shouldn't be short on things to do.

Thanks, it really helps to hear about the positive experiences. All going to plan, they should love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

morebabies wrote: »
    Thanks, it really helps to hear about the positive experiences. All going to plan, they should love it.
    we have driven from Germany to Ireland, and back, a heap of times with our 2 small (now slightly less small) kids so plenty of experience in long days in the car, and in many ways its less stressful than taking the plane.

I presume youve driven a few hours with the kids before, so know that once they have snacks/ drinks and something to keep them amused, then they are reasonably easy to manage.

Boarding / checkin for a ferry is way more relaxed than flying which maybe you have in the back of your head as a normal procedure. You don't leave the car or do security or anything, so with 4 kids that really would eliminate a lot of stress. You drive in, park in the allotted row, and wait till the ferry boards. Couldn't be simpler.

Irish ferries have a wee video on "check-in" and getting on the ferry which will visualise the whole thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOyIN476meU

I dont know what time of the day youre travelling, but one idea might be to book a cabin. Not necessarily a 6 bed cabin, but even just a 2 bed one to have as a base for the ferry journey. It costs from €20 so is not that much just to have a little place to yourself, charge phones or whatnot.

• Advertisement

we have driven from Germany to Ireland, and back, a heap of times with our 2 small (now slightly less small) kids so plenty of experience in long days in the car, and in many ways its less stressful than taking the plane.

I presume youve driven a few hours with the kids before, so know that once they have snacks/ drinks and something to keep them amused, then they are reasonably easy to manage.

Boarding / checkin for a ferry is way more relaxed than flying which maybe you have in the back of your head as a normal procedure. You don't leave the car or do security or anything, so with 4 kids that really would eliminate a lot of stress. You drive in, park in the allotted row, and wait till the ferry boards. Couldn't be simpler.

Irish ferries have a wee video on "check-in" and getting on the ferry which will visualise the whole thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOyIN476meU

I dont know what time of the day youre travelling, but one idea might be to book a cabin. Not necessarily a 6 bed cabin, but even just a 2 bed one to have as a base for the ferry journey. It costs from €20 so is not that much just to have a little place to yourself, charge phones or whatnot.

Thank you, I think I've lost the ability to be spontaneous and just go with the flow since having kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

morebabies wrote: »
    Hi,
    I haven't been on a ferry since I was a kid, now I have 4 kids and am thinking about planning a trip to Wales in the summer.
    What I want to know please, just so I can plan for the kids, is how much time in advance of the ferry crossing do you have to be there, and assuming there's no delays, how long is spent waiting in the car until we get on the ferry? Also, do ferries usually run on time, or are they often delayed?
    Strange question I know, but before I get everyone's hopes up, I want to make sure I'll be able to manage this, and how much food, etc. I need to pack for the car. Many thanks in advance, as much detail as possible will really really help me out.
    40 mins is plenty. One caveat, I usually book priority so you're off first at the far end. If you are in a rush it helps with traffic in Wales to be out ahead (though it's dual carriageway entirely)
    It may well be last on first off, and some people arrive ages before.
    It is completely simple and pain free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

I can't remember the name of it, but there's an underground zip wire and trampoline Park in North Wales which is supposed to be awesome. Anyone I know whove been rave about it. I'll find out the name. The ferry is absolutely hassle free. I'd always book either the fast ferry or a cabin. You get a great sleep in the cabin. By the time you've finished messing about in the airport the ferry is as quick. It's great. Just be careful that you won't be hitting the m50 at peak traffic. And be careful to follow the signs for either stena or Irish ferries at the port, whichever you are travelling. I promise it is completely idiot proof,and way less stress than flying.
    Nice beaches on Anglesea too. Holyhead is a bit of a dump but Anglesea is grand. Theres a really nice one in a national park there. Snowdonia is lovely. Try and get the kids up for a walk/hike.
    PS I always use the port tunnel which basically opens at the port. First left out of the tunnel and you're right there.

Advertisement