Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burnt grass

Options
  • 13-05-2018 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Looking for help please.

My whole garden has been inadvertly sprayed with weed killer . 90% of the grass is brown now and burnt.

Any tips on to help revive it ? any bits of information would be appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Tonmac wrote: »
    Looking for help please.

My whole garden has been inadvertly sprayed with weed killer . 90% of the grass is brown now and burnt.

Any tips on to help revive it ? any bits of information would be appreciated .

Do you know the type of weedkiller?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tonmac

blackbox wrote: »
    Do you know the type of weedkiller?

rosate . my brother works on farm so I'd imagine it's strong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

That's glyphosate, so the grass is dead. Only thing is to reseed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Think that Rosate (Rosate 360?) is a glyphosate type weed killer like Roundup so the OP has basically killed off his lawn ready to rotovate, rake out and reseed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tonmac

my3cents wrote: »
    Think that Rosate (Rosate 360?) is a glyphosate type weed killer like Roundup so the OP has basically killed off his lawn ready to rotovate, rake out and reseed it.

So your sayin rotovate the garden .what am I raking out ? All the dead top of the garden that's burnt

• Advertisement

Rotovate to turn the dead material down and prepare a seed bed, rake to level the soil. Spread some lime and fert and set the seed and roll if you can. If setting the seed by hand lightly run the take over it to get soil contact. Dry weather job make it easier

You could could cut the grass as low as possible then scarify whats left, rake off what the scarifier brings up and then reseed but that won't do as good a job as starting from scratch.

If rotovating I'd still try and get as much of the grass off as possible with the mower first it just makes it easier when you rake out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tonmac wrote: »
    My whole garden has been inadvertly sprayed with weed killer.
    How? Out of curiosity. Has to be a story there. :)

Lumen wrote: »
    How? Out of curiosity. Has to be a story there. :)

Seems fairly obvious to me.

Someone wanted weedkiller to kill weeds off in their lawn and asked farming relative for weedkiller and got a total weedkiller and not a lawn weedkiller.

People might disagree with me but I wouldn't bother with the fertiliser if your sowing grass seed this time of year. You want to grass to grow slowly and develop strong roots.

Maybe a zero nitrogen fertiliser. Any lawns I've done in the last few years I haven't used any fertiliser and made surely there is a good depth of soil. Still in good nick with few weeds

• Advertisement

0-10-20 to help with root establishment.

Advertisement