Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying HR Practices

Options
  • 13-05-2018 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going anon.

I work in a small firm which for the most part has a good atmosphere and is well managed.

Recently however HR seem to have instigated a policy of hiring/promoting people based on their physical appearance!!

I have overheard both directly and on the grapevine that some interview candidates were not given the role because they were overweight or did not apply make up that well or did not have symmetrical faces!!!!!

I should add that the company is not in the business of marketing or fashion or anything remotely close to it.

It's not just new hires either - they have very obviously started sending the most attractive people in the office to the most important client meetings. This was never the case before but now it is blatant. I'm not being paranoid here, everyone reading this knows each office has its share of very attractive people and here its quite clearly the ripped gym going guys and the most glamorous girls with the most traditionally attractive figures being sent to the biggest events. this is done regardless of seniority or competence.

It's gotten to the stage now where I've heard some of the the more average looking people in the office feel they need to lose weight or change something about themselves etc in order to continue to advance their careers. I'm confident in my appearance but I find myself watching my weight now more that I know HR have this silent policy. A friend of mine in work is overweight and has had clients taken away from her and given to new, more junior members of staff who would turn most people's eye with their appearance.

Is there anything that can be done about this?? Its anecdotal I know and done by an experienced HR team who clearly are backed by senior management who could probably spin it any way they wish to.

Comments

Advertisement