Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full stack web development; Swift (Vapor) versus Python (Flask) web development

Options
  • 13-05-2018 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I've been doing a bit of full stack development using Python and Flask.

I've made a webpage that connects to a database and lists out its contents. I can also do CRUD tasks like add, delete, and edit things in the database, and these appear updated on the site. I'm finding it fairly straightforward

However, I'm just wondering if it would be easier/faster to develop using Swift and Vapor?

Using Flask and Python, I have learned a bit of HTML and CSS. However, I'm guessing I'll need to learn Javascript to make my web pages dynamic?

However, in Swift and Vapour, could I just build the web app functionality in xCode using Swift and use all its inbuilt objects (eg create a table, add an image etc, add a button that goes to the next page etc.). Does Vapour take care of converting it to HTML/CSS/Javascript, or would I still need to learn Javascript?

Basically, I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of using each? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Vapour is a way to run swift server side.

Same as Python or Ruby or NodeJS or PHP or .NET or pretty much any other language.

If you are truly looking to be a full stack developer, you should understand client side and server side technologies and how they work together.

There is no magic bullet here, if you want to write any kind of application, it will contain HTML, CSS and JavaScript on the client side / frontend. Hence you need to know these.

So to answer your question, yes you still need to write JavaScript / CSS /HTML although some of these frameworks will give you some helping hands to reduce boilerplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

If you want to go fullstack then nodejs might help as it would be Javascript through your entire stack. That would look something like this

Backend
    Database - sql, nosql whatever you want
    nodejs server with endpoints

REST API INTERFACE

Frontend
    Vue, React, Angular - some FE Framework built with HTML, CSS, JS talking to BE via a rest api interface.

I would always suggest that you keep BE and FE separated by an API.

Advertisement