Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Shaft Change

Options
  • 13-05-2018 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I need to change the shaft on my Ping G30 driver - I'm wondering whether you can go into McGuirks and get them to do it or whether there is somewhere else to go?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Shane732 wrote: »
    I need to change the shaft on my Ping G30 driver - I'm wondering whether you can go into McGuirks and get them to do it or whether there is somewhere else to go?

Do you know what shaft you want ?
    Personally I'd be inclined to go to a PGA pro in a golf club and ask them to put a Ping adapter onto the shaft I wanted. I'd guess they'd be a bit more experienced at day to day "repairs" than a McGuirks, but I could be wrong.

Alternatively McGuirks or your local pro could order one of Pings shafts for you, I think they're about €90.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

No I don’t have one in mind - I’m looking for a regular flex shaft and hoping to reduce spin I’m getting from the driver. Driver is Ping G30.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

No I don’t have one in mind - I’m looking for a regular flex shaft and hoping to reduce spin I’m getting from the driver. Driver is Ping G30.

Any suggestions?

Ahh right. In that case I’d say it’s definitely worth getting at least some sort of rudimentary fitting done, even if it’s just in a McGuirks. The guy in their fitting centre in Leopardstown driving range is good if that’s handy for you.
    To just randomly pick a low spin shaft would be a bit risky, but Ping’s Tour 65 shafts are fairly stout and pretty tip stiff - if you’re just taking a chance on one it might not be a bad option but that’s purely a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Shane732 wrote:

Ping drivers are generally high spin (unless the LS model). It might be worth considering a low spin head in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Why do you think you need to reduce spin?
    If your a slower swinger of the golf ball spin could be a help, if spin gets too low the ball will just drop out of the air.
    Are you adding spin by strike (low on face) or hitting down (sky marks ball goes straight up).
    If you go for a fitting you will end up buying a shaft (Never ask a barber if you need a haircut), get a lesson first.

• Advertisement

Why do you think you need to reduce spin?
    If your a slower swinger of the golf ball spin could be a help, if spin gets too low the ball will just drop out of the air.
    Are you adding spin by strike (low on face) or hitting down (sky marks ball goes straight up).
    If you go for a fitting you will end up buying a shaft (Never ask a barber if you need a haircut), get a lesson first.

I've had plenty of lessons. My spin rate tends to be in the high 3000s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Ping had two models around that time. G30 and I30 with the I30 being lower spin. The later models, the ping G and current G400 all have regular, SFT and LST versions. Important to pair it with the right shaft an d getting fitted is the best way to find a shaft/head to suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

The Ping Tour 65 is a great shaft and you can order from mcguirks, think mine was €65 new with adaptor. Lower spin shaft than the standard one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Ah if you've been on trackman and lessons you know exactly why you are spinning so much.

I buy shafts from the golf pro store UK, gamola golf or golfworks america.
    Careful buying ping shafts online a lot of fake paint jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Ah if you've been on trackman and lessons you know exactly why you are spinning so much.

I buy shafts from the golf pro store UK, gamola golf or golfworks america.
    Careful buying ping shafts online a lot of fake paint jobs out there.

As I said above, you can order ping shafts via mcguirks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

Sorry to hijack the thread but if I go to Hapenny Golf in Cork with my driver (a Big Bertha alpha) and do a trackman session, would I be able to test different shafts using say the BB Epic head and have that fitted to the BB Alpha head?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

valoren wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but if I go to Hapenny Golf in Cork with my driver (a Big Bertha alpha) and do a trackman session, would I be able to test different shafts using say the BB Epic head and have that fitted to the BB Alpha head?

No point trying shafts in an epic head and then putting it in an alpha as spin rates would/Could be very different on those 2 heads resulting in different results when swapped to ur alpha.
    Just put shafts in alpha and test them

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

Did you get a new shaft? I broke the shaft on my Ping G30 (Reg flex) on Sunday & need to replace it. My bag fell over & snapped the shaft.

Just wondering what your outcome was as I’ll need to replace mine.

Did you get a new shaft? I broke the shaft on my Ping G30 (Reg flex) on Sunday & need to replace it. My bag fell over & snapped the shaft.

Just wondering what your outcome was as I’ll need to replace mine.

No - got a new club instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭justcallmemoses

Looking to get an adapter changed on a shaft? I bought the new adapter online so only need someone to fit it. Any idea where in Dublin doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looking to get an adapter changed on a shaft? I bought the new adapter online so only need someone to fit it. Any idea where in Dublin doing this

Maybe try your local pro at your home club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Just an FYI - this is risky if the shaft is graphite. I messed up a good shaft a year or two ago trying to switch adapter :mad:

Advertisement