Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cycling Anxiety Normal?

Options
  • 13-05-2018 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all, there's an annoying problem I have before a big cycle (and sometimes even for shorter ones), and I was wondering is it a problem all cyclists deal with or is it a problem more specific to me. It is basically a very strong fear that I won't be able to complete the cycle, even though in four years of cycling there was only one cycle I was ever unable to complete (the cycle was very long and the weather was hot even by Irish standards.) But I even get this fear of not being able to finish the cycle if it's comparable in length to another cycle I have done (e.g, I'll be afraid I won't be able to do a 40 mile cycle despite having done several).
    I also worry about some fault with the bike meaning I can't cycle any further (this does occasionally happen though fortunately not so far on the long trips) and bad weather (I don't know why I worry about this, it's happened before and while annoying I wouldn't call it scary).
    So I was just wondering is this kind of nervousness something that just comes with the territory? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Add to that the worry that some idiot will overtake you while turning left and not indicating and I think most people have the same worries.

It’s just because you can end up miles away from home with a bike to carry if something goes wrong. I’m sure sailors and truck drivers have the same worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Going on a cycle should be fun, fun, fun, so the best advice anyone could give you is to look forward to them, and enjoy the event, company and environment. Some anticipation or pre-event nerves is normal. It keeps us on our toes.

How are you in relation to other things/day to day ?

Just a word of caution ( and I am not saying there is or may be an underlying issue) you can’t get ‘medical’ advice, so if there is wider issue, don’t go into it as the thread will get locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

In football parlance, prematch nerves. I found that they eased off in time but could happen if I was doing a particularly tough event and felt I wasn't prepared.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Worth doing your own maintenance if you're worried about a fault on the road. Also carry spares like a quicklink, cable ties etc while you can't fix everything roadside you can fix most minor problems. As for nerves before a big event, I'd guess it's common enough. I certainly get them, but being a bit older have sussed they're never warranted. Still get them but just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 YYZ

'Add to that the worry that some idiot will overtake you while turning left and not indicating and I think most people have the same worries.'

The weird thing about it is that I don't really worry about the actual danger of being injured involved in cycling, it's all smaller issues that bother me which I've never understood.

'How are you in relation to other things/day to day ?'

I have certain problems that I generally have good control over. I suppose I wanted to get an idea of whether or not I'm experiencing 'normal' fears or if I need a bit more help, but if I do need more help I can get that elsewhere.

'In football parlance, prematch nerves. I found that they eased off in time but could happen if I was doing a particularly tough event and felt I wasn't prepared.'

If I'm struggling on a tough hill or whatever I'll just deal with in, it's just the worrying about it before hand can be a bit tough, on an intellectual level I can understand 'whatever happens I'll just deal with it' but it doesn't stop the nervousness before the big cycle from being really unpleasant.

'Worth doing your own maintenance if you're worried about a fault on the road'

Maybe three or four times a year (I cycle pretty much everyday), I'll get something that can't be fixed roadside. I worry about this happening during a long cycle where I'm too far out to walk home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The size of saddle bag for long solo spins suggests some nerves are normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I got a mate into cycling a couple of years ago. He's in his sixties and was constantly nervous about how far or how high he could go. I kept setting him challenges and got him up to 150km. He is no longer nervous and has no problem going anywhere on the bike. Basically, he over came it by meeting every distance and hill challenge I set him. So, I say, just keep pushing yourself. The mind quits before the body does.

I really wouldn't call this an issue OP unless it's actually stopping you cycling, which it doesn't seem to be.

In my case I find it very difficult to go more than 40-50km on my own. I won't call it range anxiety more just I get fed up. I'd have legs for far more. It's catch 22 I ride more for head space so like being on my own but theres a point I get to when I'd like company sometimes. I often think I should just join a club I have to ride 20km or so to meet for a club spin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

A friend of mine gets the heebie jeeebies a lot before sportifs or a specific route cycle , but not always. I’ve spoken to him often about it and we both know it’s illogical but it is clear that the root is simply an insecurity. Something a lot of people suffer from in one form or other.
    I would suggest as others have , that you service your bike yourself, so you have confidence in it and be comfortable changing tubes.
    Then at least you can negate mechanicals mostly.
    Besides that , if there is an anxiety about finishing in general you should remember that last place or not finishing is really meaningless in sportifs or group riding . I met 4 guys yesterday who made 80k out of 160 due to a mass collision.
    Sh*t happens in cycling. So no need for insecurities.
    It your not racing the ride should be fun or at most a competition against yourself and no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

YYZ wrote: »
    ...Maybe three or four times a year (I cycle pretty much everyday), I'll get something that can't be fixed roadside....
    That seems pretty high. I cycle 5/6 days a week and probably have to be rescued maybe once every two years or so.

What sort of things are going wrong for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

If you cycle on your own, have someone you could call in case there is an issue with continueing the cycle, it should put mind at rest, or just tell where you are going beforehand and know where you are. Have some ID, money, and phone numbers with you. Generally a good practice.

If you are in the group, people usually do not leave anyone behind and it is much safer.

Best regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Anxiety before a new challenge is part of the process for me. I regularly get the 'there is no way I can do this' self-doubt thing before I do a new cycling based thing. Sometimes it's something I can box up and contain it, sometimes it spills out - Alek can testify to my mini-melt downs in the face of adversity (although cycling through a sand-bunker at speed is ludicrous and wrong).

First time on a road bike - 'I'm going to die'
    First time doing 100k - 'I'll never survive the next 20 k'
    First time going up a big hill - 'This is literally impossible'
    First Wicklow 200 - 'Didn't sleep for days before'
    And so on...First league race, first open race, first stage race, first CX race, etc etc.

Recognise the anxiety for what it is, prepare properly and then let it go. 5 minutes in, it's gone and you are having fun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Some anxiety is normal, too much is not.
    Without any hesitation I'd say you should have a chat about it with your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

When i read the title of the OP i thought the anxiety might have had something to do with this: :D

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/may/11/theyre-out-to-get-you-study-finds-cyclists-face-paranoia-about-drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

When i read the title of the OP i thought the anxiety might have had something to do with this: :D

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/may/11/theyre-out-to-get-you-study-finds-cyclists-face-paranoia-about-drivers

thats me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

neris wrote: »
    thats me

Ditto. I cycled the Athlone to Mullingar Greenway at the weekend. I have a reflex action of looking over my shoulder constantly, it took me a while to get out of it and just relax. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 YYZ

'I got a mate into cycling a couple of years ago. He's in his sixties and was constantly nervous about how far or how high he could go. I kept setting him challenges and got him up to 150km. He is no longer nervous and has no problem going anywhere on the bike. Basically, he over came it by meeting every distance and hill challenge I set him. So, I say, just keep pushing yourself. The mind quits before the body does.'

I'm half his age and have never done 150km in a single day (longest ever 80km). This has helped put things in perspective for me, I haven't even come close to the limit of what I can do yet.

'That seems pretty high. I cycle 5/6 days a week and probably have to be rescued maybe once every two years or so.

What sort of things are going wrong for you?'

This year the derailleur broke off (my own fault, I tried to start a cycle uphill on a high gear), so I'll know not to do that again). Two other things happened this year, rear punctures caused by the wheel itself being damaged, so changing the tube would have made no difference. I use kevlar and have never got a puncture as a result of debris on the road since.

Anxiety before a new challenge is part of the process for me. I regularly get the 'there is no way I can do this' self-doubt thing before I do a new cycling based thing. Sometimes it's something I can box up and contain it, sometimes it spills out - Alek can testify to my mini-melt downs in the face of adversity (although cycling through a sand-bunker at speed is ludicrous and wrong).

'First time on a road bike - I'm going to die'
    First time doing 100k - 'I'll never survive the next 20 k'
    First time going up a big hill - 'This is literally impossible'
    First Wicklow 200 - 'Didn't sleep for days before'
    And so on...First league race, first open race, first stage race, first CX race, etc etc.

Recognise the anxiety for what it is, prepare properly and then let it go. 5 minutes in, it's gone and you are having fun.'

Yeah I have to remember that I'm nervous before every cycle, and that during every cycle things go fine nine times out of ten, and even if they don't I have never experienced it as terrifying.

'Some anxiety is normal, too much is not.
    Without any hesitation I'd say you should have a chat about it with your GP.'

Thanks I am going to do just that. I actually went to my doctor before a big cycle last year just to be reassured that I was physically fit enough to do the cycle and to get advice on how to deal with the anxiety, it really helped.

'When i read the title of the OP i thought the anxiety might have had something to do with this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-about-drivers'

I don't generally worry about inconsiderate drivers even though they are often a problem, I think the reason for this is that I have been lucky enough to have never been hit by a car, so my brain categorises it as something that won't happen. I do worry about it, but not as much as the more minor stuff I mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Fear and worry pop up in your OP quite a bit.

If you are fearing and worrying about a leisure activity chances are you are doing it about a lotof other things also. (I don't want to know it's your business).

They are just learned behaviours to deal with unknowns in the future; pretty appalling strategies though. It isn't hard to unlearn them. Someone calming you in a once off isn't any good long term as you haven't unlearned the behaviour.

I'd be having a chat with your gp on that point, and see if he/she can recommend someone.

There is probably DIY CBT aids for reputable organisations online but have a chat with GP and don't mind a bunch of eejits on a cycling forum 😀

You are after getting there when the bike and cycling is a refuge from stress rather than a source

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

RobFowl wrote: »
    Some anxiety is normal, too much is not.
    Without any hesitation I'd say you should have a chat about it with your GP.

exactly. And while I wouldn't be so bold as to offer medical advice, I can relate my own experiences as an anxiety sufferer.

Day to anxiety is a very irrational thing. Kind of this major fear or worry over something you can't even identify most of the time. And it can spill into different aspects of your life. For me a big step in learning to deal with my anxiety was recognising that I had it in the first place (I actually spotted it before my doctor did). Then, things like cycling or other activities could prove a great release and you could park your anxieties for a while. But, when things got really bad it could even affect your heart-rate when out cycling.

I guess the question as to whether it's actually anxiety or simply nerves, needs to be answered. If it is anxiety it's worth considering if there are triggers. When you have a bout, try and articulate what it is that brought it on. Doesn't always work, but sometimes, and it helps.

The other thing would be to give yourself reassurance that you have a get-out, should you need it. I've been cycling for 2 decades and even now, doing routes I do over and over, I always plan for opt-out points. Points I can turn back should I need to. I've never once availed for reasons of anxiety (I have done so on days I've been under the weather).

But heed the advice, if it's more than just pre-match nerves, go talk to your doc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement