Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frequency and Whip!?

• 13-05-2018 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Are those online whip length to radio frequency calculators accurate and is frequency between 66-88 called Medium Wave or Low Band??
    I'm taking about car aerial/whip and not base. And also if I use a mag mount do I measure from magnet base(roof of car)or just measure the actual whip/antenna??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Simply divide 300 by the frequency in MHz which gives a full wave-length. Mobile whip lengths are usually 1/4 wave, so divide your answer by 4.

Take the fire-service for example who operate on 84MHz (we'll use 84.4375 as an example)

300/84.4375= 3.55 meters. 3.55/4= 0.888m or 88.8cm.

For transmitting, round it up to maybe 95cm and trim the length for SWR. Measure from the point where the whip leaves the stud.

66-88MHz is known as low-band VHF

Advertisement