Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to find mathematical proofs ?

• 13-05-2018 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

Is there a central repository of all proofs known to man ? I'm thinking of a Wikipedia which would contain all known proofs to date, does such a site exist ? If not, what is the nearest thing to this that we have on the Internet ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Usjes wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there a central repository of all proofs known to man ? I'm thinking of a Wikipedia which would contain all known proofs to date, does such a site exist ? If not, what is the nearest thing to this that we have on the Internet ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

What's the project you're on?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

Peatys wrote: »
    What's the project you're on?

No project, I just keep coming across references like
    'In 1976 Robert Tidjeman proved any solution of Catalan's Equation must have x,y < exp(exp(exp(exp(730))))'
    I'd like to be able to read this, or indeed any other proofs that are referenced. I assume these proofs are originally published on Mathematical Journals or something, but once published they are just known facts so it seems crazy that no-one has thought to collect them all together in one easily searchable resource.
    So, does something like this exist ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

Following thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheOneWhoDraws

Usjes wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

Usjes.

The volume of proofs 'known to man' is so vast it just really is not really a feasible endeavour to completely collect all proofs in one location. There are so many vast, niche, and deep areas of mathematics with so much active research (in so many fields) that it isn't really plausible to have them collected in one area, and there is the added complexity that proofs may require hundreds of pages of an intricate argument which require an intense amount of background knowledge.

The Proof Wiki (https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page) does have quite a sizeable collection of proofs, but it's not a very feasible endeavour to think a complete collection of all mathematical proofs can be acquired; there are so many, in such a variety of areas (which can be so niche only a few individuals in the world are qualified to assess results in that topic let alone rewrite the proof online), with so much continuously published, that it's infeasible.

Advertisement