Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a 14 year old start a lawn cutting service

Options
  • 13-05-2018 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Im 14 and I want to do a bit of grass cutting for some spare money. 1: is this legal. 2: what do you think good rates would be.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

You're issue will be insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

If he chops off a leg would the owner of the lawn mower seriously be liable for that? They could just make him sign something accepting full responsibility right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Go for it. Noone is going to go after a young man or girl doing some odd jobs in this country.
    Cost should depend on size of garden and how long it takes. Decide how much you need to earn per hour and base your rates there. Too high and people won't pay, too low and you won't make money.

Yeah, people do it all over the place.

Get a lawnmower, settle on a fee, knock a few doors, and hope for the best.

Chap around here has a go kart with a trailer. He puts the lawnmower in the trailer, and cycles the little go kart around people's houses knocking doors. A lot of people do their own, but he does get a few customers all the same (and must do a decent job, as the same people get him back over and over).

You could worry about insurance, income tax, writing off expenses, etc. but while you're doing that someone else will be out cutting other people's grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Just to give you a rough idea I used to pay young neighbour 25 euros for cutting grass. He had a ride on and did it within 45 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Bring a friend with you for safety reasons. And lifting the lawnmower through people’s houses, bagging grass etc.
    Good money in it for a teenager but you won’t raise a family on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Oh and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Unfortunately it’s nearly gone to the point he will need his own insurance..householders would be nervous these days of letting anybody work in or around the house without insurance.
    Anything happen to him while cutting grass he could claim from the persons home insurance.
    It’s unfortunate it has gone this way..I used to do odd jobs for neighbors at that age and it made me a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Did it myself when I was 14.

Made decent money for a few summers..

Ignore the red tape.

Adults like to make things complicated..

Just go do it.. and fair play to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Boop de doop

Thanks everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Thanks everyone :)

What are you doing still up at this time on a school night.
    Do you want to end up cutting grass for life?

Get to bed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement