Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlegarden ride on issue

Options
  • 13-05-2018 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    My castlegarden xdc 140 has started acting up.

It starts, mind you without me pressing the brake which it never did, runs fine even when i get off the seat which it never did. All strage

If i try to go forward or back or engage the blades the engine splutters and cuts out like as if it wasnt getting fuel.

Anyone any ideas. I assume this is an electrical issue

Thanks
    Reg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

regvw wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    My castlegarden xdc 140 has started acting up.

It starts, mind you without me pressing the brake which it never did, runs fine even when i get off the seat which it never did. All strage

If i try to go forward or back or engage the blades the engine splutters and cuts out like as if it wasnt getting fuel.

Anyone any ideas. I assume this is an electrical issue

Thanks
    Reg

Something to do with the footbrake sensor I’d guess.work the pedal and grease it.it thinks the handbrake is on with the footbrake lock.work the pedal and the lock button and grease them.make sure grass box is full close aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭regvw

Cheers Ghost,
    That logic makes since to me where abouts woukd the sensor be.

Shoukd it not drive fine with the box off, box is on by the way

Thanks
    Reg

Cheers Ghost,
    That logic makes since to me where abouts woukd the sensor be.

Shoukd it not drive fine with the box off, box is on by the way

Thanks
    Reg

It shouldn’t engage the blades if grass box doesn’t click closed as there’s a sensor on the back it’s a black switch under a light metal rod.if it’s letting you off the seat with engine running and you didn’t put on the footbrake lock it thinks it’s on.work the pedal and the locking switch for the brakes and try and free them up.

It will drive no problem with box off but you have to bypass the box switch to engage the blades.if you fold up cardboard and wedge it under metal rod to keep the black switch closed fully it will spin blades and fire grass out the back.be careful though.
    But your current problem I reckon is the brakes sensor on the handbrake.it thinks it’s stuck on if it won’t drive and if it cuts out when you engage the blades.are the blades on a lever or a switch.are the belts tight like they should be

I didn’t even know there was a foot brake lock. Maybe that is on. What does it look like on the xdc 140

I must check in more detail tomorrow

Thanks again

• Advertisement

I didn’t even know there was a foot brake lock. Maybe that is on. What does it look like on the xdc 140

I must check in more detail tomorrow

Thanks again

When you press down the brake pedal is there a little lever switch on the right hand underneath the key where you’re knee is when sitting.to lock brakes you press down pedal and pull switch to lock it

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Here's a link to a free user's manual for your mower:
    https://www.manualslib.com/products/Castelgarden-Xk-140-Hd-3642771.html

There was and that was the problem.

The kids must have pulled it when it was parked up

Thank you so much

Here's a link to a free user's manual for your mower:
    https://www.manualslib.com/products/Castelgarden-Xk-140-Hd-3642771.html

Thanks this will be helpful

Reg

When you are cutting the lawn if you want to get off the mower and leave the engine running press the brake and with it pressed lock it with the switch and disengage the blades.it saves the starter.you can hop off then and leave it running.
    You can’t get off with blades running for safety reasons.make sure the blades are stopped though they take a few second to stop spinning.
    To get going again hop on and press the brakes again and the switch should pop off itself if it doesn’t pop it off by hand with the pedal down and away you go again.

• Advertisement

When you are cutting the lawn if you want to get off the mower and leave the engine running press the brake and with it pressed lock it with the switch and disengage the blades.it saves the starter.you can hop off then and leave it running.
    You can’t get off with blades running for safety reasons.make sure the blades are stopped though they take a few second to stop spinning.
    To get going again hop on and press the brakes again and the switch should pop off itself if it doesn’t pop it off by hand with the pedal down and away you go again.

You are very helpful Ghost , I appreciate it.
    One other question, I am finding that the alarm that sounds when the grass box is full comes on too early. When I feel the grass box there seems to be loads of room for more grass.

Now I stay going far longer with the noise.sounding and the grass goes in fine. It’s just the noise is annoying

Any ideas
    Cheers
    Reg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

One other question, I am finding that the alarm that sounds when the grass box is full comes on too early. When I feel the grass box there seems to be loads of room for more grass.

Now I stay going far longer with the noise.sounding and the grass goes in fine. It’s just the noise is annoying

Any ideas
    Cheers
    Reg

You want it to come on early. That way you can work out how much more you can mow before having to drive back to your dumping location. You should be able to work out if you can do another whole pass of the garden or need to go back to you dumping location and if you can cut on the way there.

If the warning comes on when the bag is full you could be at the furthest point away from where you dump and end up wasting time driving back or keep cutting and block the feed tube up.

I wear ear defenders and it takes a while before I notice the warning with then on over the sound of the engine and all the belts, pulleys and blades.

Try cleaning the switch for the grass box.grass gets stuck under them all the time and dries hard affecting their movement.take off grass box fully and leave out of your way.on the back under the shoot you should see the switch it looks like a cows horn turned down the way.its black on my one.give it a good clean around the edges with a flat screwdriver and dust it down with a clean paint brush.looks like a pointed down banana in other words it’s short.
    Work it up and down gently with your hand and give it a good shot of wd40 to free it out.that might get you out of bother.
    I got sick of bagging grass years ago and bought the mulching kit for my one.it comes with blades and a mulching block that goes down the shoot.you have to change the blades from the cutting ones you have to the mulching ones and fit the mulching block.the lawn used to take me an hour now done in half an hour.
    No boll1xing getting up and down off the mower or looking for somewhere to dump the grass.its easier on the mower too as you start it once and engage the blades once no stopping and starting.
    I used to keep my grass in a big pile and it used to be full of rats.they were in there for heat from the grass rotting and some place to hide I’d say. no longer a problem.i poisoned them fukrs and don’t have a grass pile now.it might be handy for you. The castelgarden dealers would be able to get you the kit.
    It’s way quicker,no grass pile,and it’s good for the grass aswell.only thing is you want to cut it regularly when mulching or it will look clumpy with clippings

Any ideas
    Cheers
    Reg

Any ideas guys
    Thanks
    Reg

Advertisement