Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communnion money - what to do with it

• 14-05-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi All,

Thanks for reading this.

Our son got a €1000 for his communion, I’d like to save it for him for a later date (he has all the gadgets that he needs, Xbox, DS, you name it).

I’d like to invest it somehow but have limited knowledge of options.

Would we be better opening a term account or buying some kind of bonds?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Depends on what you want, do you want capital security?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Depends on what you want, do you want capital security?

Yes, I'd like the money to earn a bit as well, to beat the inflation at least, whatever is then earned above that would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

Maybe someone could point me towards some kind of a resource outlining options of securing this small amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Open a degiro account with you under him, buy 10 shares in Walt Disney, leave them there until he's 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Yes, I'd like the money to earn a bit as well, to beat the inflation at least, whatever is then earned above that would be a bonus.

Capital security and beating inflation don't go hand in hand. The best you could do is ebs and Boi have young people accounts that pay 2.5% to a maximum balance of €5k. Obviously rate can change any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Hi All,

Thanks for reading this.

Our son got a €1000 for his communion, I’d like to save it for him for a later date (he has all the gadgets that he needs, Xbox, DS, you name it).

I’d like to invest it somehow but have limited knowledge of options.

Would we be better opening a term account or buying some kind of bonds?

Thanks for your help!

Dont lock it up for too long and remember it is your sons money.
    I did this with my sons communion money,it was only 250euro so i got him some prizebonds but a few months later he wanted some and I paid him from my own pocket.eventually he spent it all which was fine ,it was his money.
    Your son now knows he has money and will be dreaming about how he can spend it and I imagine investing it for the future is not a priority for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

LEt him spend some, put the rest in a savings account or a CU account, let him get the savings habit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Bonkers.ie is good for comparing account options. You can put on how much you want to save and for how long be or will give you some figures on what is available futon main banks

Advertisement