Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing Tyres

Options
  • 14-05-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can a 1.5cm gash in top of a tyre be effectively repaired or am i better off just buying a new one?

The tyre is a Giant PR-3 (700x25c) and is relatively new so if it could be safely repaired i'd like to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Bin it

Not worth the risk of a blow out....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I wouldn't try to repair a 1.5mm one never mind a 1.5cm. Would you trust it on a descent at speed with a pressurised tube underneath?

Bin it - just bad luck and happens to us all with a new tyre from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Buy a new one. You can do a temporary repair using a tyre 'boot' but that's pretty much just to get you home.

This assumes the gash is through the tyre casing. If it's just the rubber, you could try sticking it using superglue or puncture repair glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dual layer tyres? Yes
    Single layer tyres? Nah

I've used superglue to stop small glass cuts expanding. Works very well. If it reopens the reinforced layer below is still there to provide good protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Thanks for the feedback lads

• Advertisement

Any recommendations out there for a decent (but reasonably priced) 700 x 25C road tyre?

There seems to be a lot out there to choose from! To fit a Giant PR-2 wheel.

Tim76 wrote: »
    Any recommendations out there for a decent (but reasonably priced) 700 x 25C road tyre?..
    Decent as in puncture resistant, fast or comfortable?

Decent as in puncture resistant, fast or comfortable?

A good all-rounder I guess. I'm looking at Continental GatorSkin folding road tyre or the Continental 4 Seasons. Think i might go for the GatorSkin tho as it's slightly lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

A good all-rounder I guess. I'm looking at Continental GatorSkin folding road tyre or the Continental 4 Seasons. Think i might go for the GatorSkin tho as it's slightly lighter

I'd be surprised by that tbh. Looking at the charts (http://conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers/grand-prix-4-season and http://conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers/gatorskin) the folding gatorskins are claimed to be slightly lighter for 23s than 4 seasons, but in virtually every other size the 4 seasons are lighter, so I'd be surprised if there's not a mistake there. I think most people would recommend the 4 seasons over the gatorskins also, unless puncture resistance is being put above all else (in which case many would say Marathon Plus, depending on the size!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Gatorskins are ditch finders compared to 4 seasons. Really like the 4 seasons for winter

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    I'd be surprised by that tbh. Looking at the charts (http://conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers/grand-prix-4-season and http://conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers/gatorskin) the folding gatorskins are claimed to be slightly lighter for 23s than 4 seasons, but in virtually every other size the 4 seasons are lighter, so I'd be surprised if there's not a mistake there. I think most people would recommend the 4 seasons over the gatorskins also, unless puncture resistance is being put above all else (in which case many would say Marathon Plus, depending on the size!).

Wiggle are stating 220g for the GatorSkins (they don't specify the width tho) and 240g for the 4 Season 25s

There are several versions of Gators - avoid the Hardshells. Good puncture resistance but can be very skittish in the wet.

Im getting 270g for the Gatorskin hardshell in 25c

Standard GatorSkin, not the hardshell version. 250g for the folding 25s

http://conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers/gatorskin

given the choice Id have the 4 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Wiggle are stating 220g for the GatorSkins (they don't specify the width tho) and 240g for the 4 Season 25s

That's the same as the 700x23c folding gatorskin on the chart I linked, so they probably took it from there. However, looking at the tables as a whole, they're a bit all over the place, and gatorskins are definitely not especially light tyres, hence my surprise in general.

Advertisement