Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrangea Dead?

Options
  • 14-05-2018 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hey all, i have several potted hydrangeas however one is showing no sign of growth yet? I've given the same feed as the others and they're all sprouting but this one has no new growth. When i break twigs it's white wood inside, seems to be alive but just not sure. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Tap it out of the pot and take a look for white Vine Weevil Grubs, Hydrangea's are one of their favourits.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

should i cut the stems all back to the root? stems are brown and have what looks like dead black buds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

should i cut the stems all back to the root? stems are brown and have what looks like dead black buds

Check the roots first. Vine Weevil and over watering (water logging) can damage them then look at the base of the stem to see if frost action (freeze thaw of the compost) has damaged it.

Really need to find out why first, but in most cases cutting back the stems is going to help, if Vine Weevil you'll need to treat for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Had similar issue last year, thought they were dead. I potted them in some compost/peat moss and ensured they were SOAKED (the clue is in the name, they love water) for a couple of days. I cut it back then and voila, they re-grew stronger than ever.
    Now I am by no means a gardening guru, but in my experience water, fertile soil/compost, and patience are the key ingredients to helping hydrangea grow.
    I have 2 more in ICU as I call it at the moment and think they will be OK as well.

hi folks, have added an image to the original post. Have watered well and added fresh soil with slow releasing fertilizer. Can you take a look at the image and let me know what you think. Cheers

• Advertisement

hi folks, have added an image to the original post. Have watered well and added fresh soil with slow releasing fertilizer. Can you take a look at the image and let me know what you think. Cheers

Mine was like that and it was Lazarus like in its recovery!

how far did you cut it back? right down to the root?

how far did you cut it back? right down to the root?

I think I left it maybe 3-4 inches short of the root, not 100% on that though, I definitely left it short as I read somewhere that the less of it there is the more intense the nutrients to the remaining plant were.

Sure looking at it, you've nothing to lose anyway! I think that was how I looked at it anyway.

nothing to lose is right, i'll give it a try this evening

Give us an update with how it works out, I hope I didn't just get lucky! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement