Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bib shorts for multi day event

Options
  • 14-05-2018 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Any recommendations on bib shorts for a 5 (long) day event? And even better and good deals out there,
    cheers
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Santini are excellent...a 5 day event? Go for quality, not “a good deal” ;)

https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/santini-maglificio-sportivo-sms/products/santini-edge-nat-bibshorts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ive been trying out rapha mens pro team bib shorts for a few long spins and find them excellent. (Not cheap though)

This might help http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/218115-22-best-cycling-bib-shorts-key-comfort-longer-rides

fwiw, I have a pair of Lusso shorts (not the ones mentioned in the article) and for the price, they are very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Rapha's Brevet shorts come to mind. They're made to dry quickly overnight so you can wash and wear everyday. Plus, their shorts are extremely comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

as others have said don't look to cut corners on price. your ass won't thank you for it :pac:

I've a pair of Santini that I find good and a pair of Louis Garneau that I'm bringing to Mallorca ahead of them this week for 3 days cycling in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Worth noting that in addition to a good chamois certain fabrics can work against you over extended periods of time.

I have/had (crashed in them..yet to experiment with the dark arts of Lycra patrches) a cherished pair of winter tights from Decathlon with their long distance Blue Chammy which I'd used on several long rides including a 200km audax without any problems.

However on my longest spin to date, the 374km we did for the Easter Fleche the thin layer of wind-stopper fabric around the upper part of them became a chafing problem that would give you nightmares.

So I'd think twice about using any sort of special windstopper/showerproof fabric shorts for longer duration events and focus on a good Chamois and low friction fabric.

Haven't tried any Super-Premium Brands but I find the B'Twin (Decathlon) blue chammy or Endura FS260 pro great for 200km+ events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'm not sure spending necessarily guarantees more comfort.

I've done most of my long distance rides on Cuore/Endura stuff which retails for circa €60 without any comfort issues.

I also have the Assos/Castelli/ Santini shorts recommended for long distance; and while it looks & feels nicer, and they "might"(if they do they might represent value all things being equal) last longer they are not anymore comfortable than cheaper shorts for me.

Being properly fitted on bike, being bike fit so weight is distributed along with a suitable saddle are more important than shorts ime.

Shorts like a saddle are a personal thing and melting your cc won't guarantee anything.

As for 5 days back to back one pair of shorts, which suit you, washed every evening and wringed dry with a towel should see you right.

If you are doing over 200km a day that might be a pain you could do without though

Advertisement