Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney to Kenmare (and back!)

Options
  • 14-05-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Howdy!

Thinking of catching a train to Killarney, and then Cycling over to Kenmare later in the summer. Stay a night or two in Kenmare, then cycle back to Killarney.
    Route options are the N71 (shorter, hilly), or the N22 (longer, flatter).

We're considering the longer/flatter route, but looking at street view, it's a combination of hard shoulder, small amount of cycle track, and some on-road-with-cars..

Just wondering if anyone has done either or both of these routes and could offer any advice for or against?
    Niether route is particularly long, it's more to do with conditions and hazards we'd be concerned about.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I've done both these routes and they can be very busy with traffic at times.

My preferred option would be to do the gap of Dunloe and then down Gallavally and then up to Molls gap (or take the R568 and unamed road down adjacent with the ring of Kerry golf club) 50 km in total,a couple of climbs,but if you have all day well doable

A much quieter route and more scenic in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

A Stunning route, but one wrong turn and you may never be found.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I've done both these routes and they can be very busy with traffic at times.

My preferred option would be to do the gap of Dunloe and then down Gallavally and then up to Molls gap (or take the R568 and unamed road down adjacent with the ring of Kerry golf club) 50 km in total,a couple of climbs,but if you have all day well doable

A much quieter route and more scenic in my humble opinion.

Cycle these roads a bit and have to agree with this view.

The N21 is Ok scenery-wise, and you do get the chance to call into the Healy-Rea's for a pint, if that's your thing! The road from Loo Bridge to Kilgarvan is one of the smoothest pieces of tarmac I have ever ridden. No surprise, I guess!

The Gap of Dunloe/Black Valley route is a breathtaking piece of countryside. It's not easy cycling with two tough climbs but once up Molls gap your downhill nearly all the way to Kenmare.

Molls gap via N71 is also very scenic but will be busy, so go early if going this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhetoricman

As a ‘native’ and someone who cycled that area last weekend, let me encourage you to enjoy the spin whatever route. If you don’t mind a few hills I suggest you go by the gap of Dunloe followed by the Black Valley then up to Molls gap. You’ll come out half km beyond the gap so go left to the gap (Aviva for refreshments) and then downhill all the way to Kenmare. Or go right on exiting the black valley for 4km and enjoy a crepe feast in the strawberry fields. You can turn back there for molls gap then and onto Kenmare.

A longer option would be to continue to Sneem for a feast in the village kitchen. Then onto Kenmare. Great scenery and great cycling. Return from kenmare via kilgarvan (Healy Raes as mentioned already) or better go back up to molls gap and head down to killarney on a great descent, quite technical at times but one you probably will not regret.

Enjoy and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Hi OP
    While the Gap of Dunloe climb route is beautiful, I think Killarney Ladies View Molls Gap is one of the most stunning roads in the country.
    Its not really that busy, as locals would tend to drive to Kenmare/Sneem via the longer (but faster) Kilgarvan route.

Cycle out crom Killarney to Muckross and the tunnel is flat and just gorgeous with regular lake views. Lovely steady climb to Ladies View - as beautiful a climb as there is. Over the top and Looscanaugh Lake in front of you is simply breathtaking in any weather. On the road over to Molls there is false flat with great views of the Reeks and Black
    valley.
    Onto Molls for coffee at Avoca or a 3km detour for brilliant pancakes at the Strawberry Cottage.
    9km od descent into Kenmare.
    Its a great route.

When in Kenmare you should also try the Caha Pass - Glengariff - Borlin Valley loop - 70km and brilliant in every way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

guanciale wrote: »
    Hi OP
    While the Gap of Dunloe climb route is beautiful, I think Killarney Ladies View Molls Gap is one of the most stunning roads in the country.
    Its not really that busy, as locals would tend to drive to Kenmare/Sneem via the longer (but faster) Kilgarvan route.

Cycle out crom Killarney to Muckross and the tunnel is flat and just gorgeous with regular lake views. Lovely steady climb to Ladies View - as beautiful a climb as there is. Over the top and Looscanaugh Lake in front of you is simply breathtaking in any weather. On the road over to Molls there is false flat with great views of the Reeks and Black
    valley.
    Onto Molls for coffee at Avoca or a 3km detour for brilliant pancakes at the Strawberry Cottage.
    9km od descent into Kenmare.
    Its a great route.

When in Kenmare you should also try the Caha Pass - Glengariff - Borlin Valley loop - 70km and brilliant in every way.

I live in Killarney, my training loop for a 2.5 hour spin is killarney, kilgarvan, kenmare, molls etc. For a 100 minute cycle, I would do gap of dunloe, black valley, molls Gap etc.

Strtawberry fields pancakes are a real treat-and the sky top terrace in Avoca is amazing, the best cycling in the world is there, -like was said, Borlin valley, Blackwater (close to Molls gap), caha etc, we are doing some of those roads in the Ras next week, you definitely will not regret it. Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I've done both.

Is it possible to do it one way over.

And the other way home ??

Makes way more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I've done both.

Is it possible to do it one way over.

And the other way home ??

Makes way more sense

yeah, the shorter and best way in my opinion, is:
    Killarney/Kilgarvan/Kenmare
    Coffee in frankie and Johnnies-I think that's what its called-best coffee around
    Kenmare/Molls Gap/ladies view/Killarney
    Then into Cafe du Parc for coffee/brunch-epic day out!!

Advertisement