Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster v Munster Semi final Build up thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

aloooof wrote: »
    At least there'll be a few more at it than the paltry turnout for the homecoming in Donnybrook yesterday.

(We're all allowed one in this thread, aren't we? ;))

Its fair comment. Same happened in 2011, so many still making their way back from Cardiff that the RDS homecoming that time was sparse. Likewise Bilbao now.

Still a sense of unfinished business too methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭durthacht

I can't understand how anyone could say the Pro14 isn't a measurement or goal for Leinster this season.

If that was the case we certainly wouldn't have been top of the conference.

Professional athletes aren't going to just say "ah f*ck it we've done enough" and discard a legitimate chance at winning their domestic league because they've already won a title this season.

In fairness, the 2011 team kinda did. After their mammoth effort against Northampton they barely showed up for the League final in Thomond.

But I really doubt they would do that again, and I'd be disappointed if they did. As someone said to do the double would eclipse the previous teams so surely that is worth achieving. So I don't understand the apathy to the League and the talk about rotating players and playing a bunch of the second string guys who were comprehensively beaten this month by Treviso and Connacht. This a semi final and it's absolutely vital.

Having said that, if Leinster have to take the field without Henshaw, and potentially Sexton and/or Nacewa then they would be massively weakened; especially with Byrne, Carbery and Reid all struggling for form. In that case, even in the RDS, Munster must be favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

aloooof wrote: »
    Nope, they finished top. Either that or Betfair paid out to me incorrectly!

Haha, you're actually totally correct, I was check in the "Rugby" app in Android and it hasn't been updated since the second last round. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

davo2001 wrote: »
    Haha, you're actually totally correct, I was check in the "Rugby" app in Android and it hasn't been updated since the second last round. :mad:

Leinster have been top since the 6N period.

They finished on the same number of points as Scarlets though so it is possible the app is not calculating the tie-breakers correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd like to see:
    Kilcoyne, Marshall, Ryan, Kleyn, Grobler, POM, Cloete, Stander,
    Murray, JJH, Keet, Scannell, Arnold, Sweetnam, Zebo

Scannell, Cronin, Parker, Holland, JOD, Hart, Keatley, Taute

Assuming D Williams and Conway are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I'm growing more and more confident. Leinster down a few players and Munster arrive in the long grass after a week off.

As long as ye get Nigel, you'll be home and dry. Nigel gets very upset when Munster lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd like to see:
    Kilcoyne, Marshall, Ryan, Kleyn, Grobler, POM, Cloete, Stander,

Not nearly enough spite and bitterness in that pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I can't understand how anyone could say the Pro14 isn't a measurement or goal for Leinster this season.

If that was the case we certainly wouldn't have been top of the conference.

Professional athletes aren't going to just say "ah f*ck it we've done enough" and discard a legitimate chance at winning their domestic league because they've already won a title this season.

They won't say that, but if you've been through the wringer of a game like the one on Saturday, then out on the beer afterwards, then the homecoming, then you get a few injuries - it all just adds up. These guys are not machines.

As a measurement or goal - yes, they would definitely have targeted it, but Pro14 is not the standard by which Irish provinces are judged. It just isn't. Matt O'Connor won one and he's widely regarded as the worst coach we had since Kidney.

Obviously I hope we win on Saturday, but if we don't, it's still an incredibly successful season for Leinster. If we'd lost against Racing, there would be a lot more emphasis on winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If anyone's interested in 3 tickets in the Grandstand pm me. Season ticket holders who can't go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Who thought in 2008/2009 that Munsters strongest pack would contain only 3 munstermen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yup, it's no fun at all throwing the towel in this early. These sorts of posts should be kicked out of the thread...

rRoOR6.gif

Hahaha!! Who was that? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Zzippy wrote: »

It was O'Gara of course. Duncan McRae's old pal! Got cited for it and was suspended for a game.

Zzippy wrote: »

O'Gara!

Cox had left the shoulder in a few minutes earlier so it wasn't completely out of the blue. Think he got cited but can't remember if there was a ban.

• Advertisement

I thought it might be but couldn't remember ever seeing that clip before. LOL.

Did something similar in a hurling match once so I understand the frustration. No cameras or citing officer though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 acucobol

Why has game not been moved to the Aviva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

acucobol wrote: »

Munster just returned some of their allocation. That is an indication of why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Because theres no need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Too soon to organise a match there, needs a bigger turn around and also time to sell 45,000 tickets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

More Communions down south this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If there even was a slim chance to move it to the Aviva it would have immediately been killed by the Munster turnout for their home quarter against Edinburgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clegg wrote: »
    More Communions down south this weekend?

Sports days, loads of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Great photo of the best fullback in Ireland.

Yes but you can only see his left arm.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If there even was a slim chance to move it to the Aviva it would have immediately been killed by the Munster turnout for their home quarter against Edinburgh.
    There was never a chance really. It was the RDS well before any playoff game took place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I watched that Mun v Edin gif about 10-15 times before I saw the trip :D

Boscoirl wrote: »

Dark Arts TM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have a season ticket and I have been to every Munster home game, spent money and travelled to Bordeaux, but i just couldnt be bothered travelling up to the RDS. Most people I know in the exact same boat are the same. I just shelled out for next years season ticket too so my Munster spend this year is maxed.

Ill cheer them on from the local and be delighted i dont have to deal with the traffic going up and down to dublin because its just too expensive to stay up there.

Tefral wrote: »
    I have a season ticket and I have been to every Munster home game, spent money and travelled to Bordeaux, but i just couldnt be bothered travelling up to the RDS. Most people I know in the exact same boat are the same. I just shelled out for next years season ticket too so my Munster spend this year is maxed.

Ill cheer them on from the local and be delighted i dont have to deal with the traffic going up and down to dublin because its just too expensive to stay up there.

May as well move the final to the RDS if Munster qualify so, if that's the attitude! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I am going driving a Porsche around Mondello on Sat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 stpauli

Save me from the thieving bastard Dublin hotels !
    €€€€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Tefral wrote: »

#bestfansintheworld ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Boscoirl wrote: »
    A trip? :D

bishop-brennan-kenmare.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Obviously some people have never paid for a hotel in Cork or Kerry where the local industry has moved on from fleecing sheep to fleecing anyone who happens to be native to elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Buer wrote: »
    Obviously some people have never paid for a hotel in Cork or Kerry where the local industry has moved on from fleecing sheep to fleecing anyone who happens to be native to elsewhere!

I got 5 nights in Brussels and flights for what 3 nights would have cost me in Jury's on Parnell St... Dubs could be world shearing champions

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I got 5 nights in Brussels and flights for what 3 nights would have cost me in Jury's on Parnell St... Dubs could be world shearing champions

Ah but who the fcuk wants to go to Brussels!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ah but who the fcuk wants to go to Brussels!!!

Beer and chocolate ;)

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »

I notice you didn’t mention limerick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Try London. You'd be staying in a flea pit with one tarnished star for twice the price of Parnell St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Try London. You'd be staying in a flea pit with one tarnished star for twice the price of Parnell St.

Dublin is the third most expensive city in europe for hotels, ahead of london.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/05/amsterdam-hotels-are-most-expensive-european-survey-finds/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yes! Pointless bickering about something totally unrelated to rugby, NOW it's a Leinster-Munster build-up thread.

Dublin is the third most expensive city in europe for hotels, ahead of london.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/05/amsterdam-hotels-are-most-expensive-european-survey-finds/

Ah well if Cheaprooms.com say it's true it must be true!

McGrath
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    Leavy
    Conan
    McGrath
    Carbery
    Lowe
    Nacewa
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Kearney

Bench
    Healy
    Cronin
    Porter
    Fardy
    Murphy
    McCarthy
    Byrne
    O'Loughlin

At a guess.

McGrath
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    Leavy
    Conan
    McGrath
    Carbery
    Lowe
    Nacewa
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Kearney

Bench
    Healy
    Cronin
    Porter
    Fardy
    Murphy
    McCarthy
    Byrne
    O'Loughlin

At a guess.

Apart from the absolutely atrocious, embarrassing, shameful attempt at spelling, I would be very happy with this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

McGrath
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    Leavy
    Conan
    McGrath
    Carbery
    Lowe
    Nacewa
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Kearney

Bench
    Healy
    Cronin
    Porter
    Fardy
    Murphy
    McCarthy
    Byrne
    O'Loughlin

At a guess.
    I’d switch Fardy and Toner but other than that I’d say that’s probably what it’s going to be. Fardy will have the summer off, so I’d say he is the least likely to be rested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

McGrath
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    Leavy
    Conan
    McGrath
    Carbery
    Lowe
    Nacewa
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Kearney

Bench
    Healy
    Cronin
    Porter
    Fardy
    Murphy
    McCarthy
    Byrne
    O'Loughlin

At a guess.

I think that's a good balance of starters and rotation. Very strong team.

+1 Venjur good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭scott1974

stephen_n wrote: »
    I’d switch Fardy and Toner but other than that I’d say that’s probably what it’s going to be. Fardy will have the summer off, so I’d say he is the least likely to be rested.

I'd think we need Fardy, although Luke McGrath is likely injured.. so Lowe might miss out again, which would be hugely disappointing..
    ISA may be injured too..

scott1974 wrote: »
    I'd think we need Fardy, although Luke McGrath is likely injured.. so Lowe might miss out again, which would be hugely disappointing..
    ISA may be injured too..

Think Isa should be grand, haven't heard anything about McGrath other than he was subbed as planned, not through injury.

Think there is an injury update today, they'll confirm Henshaw is done for the season, Sexton unlikely to be available but being given every chance to prove fitness before the weekend.

I think we'll see a decent few changes though, mix of players brought back in and bench switches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

scott1974 wrote: »
    ISA may be injured too..

I could be wrong but i think those rules on eligibility only apply to European games

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

randomrb wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i think those rules on eligibility only apply to European games

They don't - they also apply to Pro14.

• Advertisement
Advertisement