Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster v Munster Semi final Build up thread

Comments

Was just chatting to Peter O'Mahony there, spotted him in Xtra Vision in Limerick.

I said, "Pete, I thought all the Xtravisions were closed down, mad this one is still open"

O'Mahony didn't seem amused, he said "Zeebs said it was still on the go, are you questioning my team mate?"

I was a bit taken aback, "No.. no.." I said, "I'm fairly into the auld films - what are you looking for?"

"It's not for me, it's for the lads on Friday" retorted POM.

"Ah right" I said, "What are they into?"

O'Mahony frowned - "So you are questioning my team mates?"

There was an awkward silence.

"Eh... do they like action movies?" I whimpered?

"They like movies about teamwork" replied POM without missing a beat.

"What about the A-Team, I said"

O'Mahony asked "And what's that about then?"

"It's not bad, It's about this lad Hannibal and he leads this military team that get framed and end up being prosecuted for a crime they didn...."

Peter became incensed....

"YOU MEAN THEY QUESTIONED HIS TEAM MATES?"

I backed away, fearful that he could pick me up and give me a Reggwedgie with one hand.

"I think you best leave" said PoM and I took heed of his advice.

As I made my way out the door the blue blood in my veins rushed to my head.

"Seriously though Peter, give the A-Team a go, I think the lads will like it - sure it's a bit like yourselves, aren't ye the Leinster A team these days....."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is it true that the RDS will open at 11:30am on Saturday and that they will be showing the Royal wedding on the big screen before the Leinster vs Munster game...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Is it true that the RDS will open at 11:30am on Saturday and that they will be showing the Royal wedding on the big screen before the Leinster vs Munster game...?

No, Mike Ross couldn’t handle watching her marry another man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yes, of course it is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Excellent. They'll get a fine crowd in good and early in that case.

• Advertisement

Was just chatting to Peter O'Mahony there, spotted him in Xtra Vision in Limerick.

I said, "Pete, I thought all the Xtravisions were closed down, mad this one is still open"

O'Mahony didn't seem amused, he said "Zeebs said it was still on the go, are you questioning my team mate?"

I was a bit taken aback, "No.. no.." I said, "I'm fairly into the auld films - what are you looking for?"

"It's not for me, it's for the lads on Friday" retorted POM.

"Ah right" I said, "What are they into?"

O'Mahony frowned - "So you are questioning my team mates?"

There was an awkward silence.

"Eh... do they like action movies?" I whimpered?

"They like movies about teamwork" replied POM without missing a beat.

"What about the A-Team, I said"

O'Mahony asked "And what's that about then?"

"It's not bad, It's about this lad Hannibal and he leads this military team that get framed and end up being prosecuted for a crime they didn...."

Peter became incensed....

"YOU MEAN THEY QUESTIONED HIS TEAM MATES?"

I backed away, fearful that he could pick me up and give me a Reggwedgie with one hand.

"I think you best leave" said PoM and I took heed of his advice.

As I made my way out the door the blue blood in my veins rushed to my head.

"Seriously though Peter, give the A-Team a go, I think the lads will like it - sure it's a bit like yourselves, aren't ye the Leinster A team these days....."

Subtle nod to your obnoxious D4 Ross O'Carroll-Kelly accent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Carbery Larmour Ringrose Isa Lowe Byrne McGrath

Conan Jordi Ruddock toner Ryan furlong cronin McGrath

Cummiskey in the IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Kevski wrote: »
    I feel this isn't getting the recognition it deserves. :D

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Cummiskey in the IT

Jeepers I was pretty close.
    McGrath
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    Leavy
    Conan
    McGrath
    Carbery
    Lowe
    Nacewa
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Kearney

Bench
    Healy
    Cronin
    Porter
    Fardy
    Murphy
    McCarthy
    Byrne
    O'Loughlin

At a guess.

Surprised no Kearney or Cronin. Hope we aren't resting anyone, too important a fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a good Leinster starting 15. Would rather have Fardy starting though. Been our best player this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cummiskey in the IT

There are several ways to order a team that I'll tolerate, but this one is just a pain in the ass to read.

(Burkie, I appreciate the posting of the team nevertheless)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

Okay, I'll probably regret this but...I need an explanation cos I don't get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Trojan wrote: »
    There are several ways to order a team that I'll tolerate, but this one is just a pain in the ass to read.

Carbery and Ringrose at prop. Jack McGrath at 15. Furlong at outside centre.

Ruddock at 10. If he goes well he is off to Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Okay, I'll probably regret this but...I need an explanation cos I don't get it...

You will regret this knowledge, in the show Suits her boyfriend is Mike Ross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Trojan wrote: »

1-15 or 15-9,1-8 are the acceptable ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Is anyone else still waiting for posted tickets for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

impr0v wrote: »

No I got mine last week. I'd call TM if you haven't got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

impr0v wrote: »

Mine only arrived this morning, was getting a bit concerned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

TM appear to be having a fulfillment problem at the moment. Friend of mine had a massive panic waiting on tickets for the Stones gig last night

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jeepers I was pretty close.

Surprised no Kearney or Cronin. Hope we aren't resting anyone, too important a fixture.

You predicted Tracy, quoted the team with Cronin and are surprised there's no Cronin... you've officially started trolling yourself! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cummiskey in the IT

I'd be pretty happy with that team. Critical that we get someone with experience alongside Byrne to take some of the pressure off him and Nacewa is ideal given they've lined out alongside one another already 6 of 7 times this season.

I'd be a little concerned about the back row. Ruddock literally has 15 minutes of rugby in 5 months. He's going to be rusty and won't have any match fitness whatsoever. Murphy is not at Leavy's level at 7 and by all accounts enjoyed his celebrations this week. There's a lot on Conan who should be chomping at the bit.

That's where Munster will surely be aiming to get the upper hand in terms of physicality particularly with Fardy missing.

Hopefully the RDS angle and bench can see Leinster home but I think this is a one score game either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This has to win post of the century!!!!

It has so many layers to it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be pretty happy with that team. Critical that we get someone with experience alongside Byrne to take some of the pressure off him and Nacewa is ideal given they've lined out alongside one another already 6 of 7 times this season.

I'd be a little concerned about the back row. Ruddock literally has 15 minutes of rugby in 5 months. He's going to be rusty and won't have any match fitness whatsoever. Murphy is not at Leavy's level at 7 and by all accounts enjoyed his celebrations this week. There's a lot on Conan who should be chomping at the bit.

That's where Munster will surely be aiming to get the upper hand in terms of physicality particularly with Fardy missing.

Hopefully the RDS angle and bench can see Leinster home but I think this is a one score game either way.

Yeah, I'm hoping the RDS factor will give us the boost. It'll be Isa and Jordis last game there (in blue at least). Hopefully that'll see them right. The front 5 is more than good enough and I wouldn't be overly concerned about not being able to poach too much ball as long as we can hold onto our own. That pack should be able to do that.

The back 3 could be lethal if we can get them the ball. Larmour had a very quiet game last week and the other 2 lads should be looking to make an impression too. With leaders in that team like Rhys and Isa we should have our heads right too hopefully.

This is Munsters season in a game, and I'm sure they'd have been pretty pissed watching us lift the trophy at the weekend. They'll be well, well up for this one. We can't afford to be off the boil at all. That starting XV has it in them to win it. Would be interesting to see the bench though too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Munster have seen how to stop us playing. Whether they can emulate Racing at the breakdown is the question. And also if they'd be given the same leeway. Also Racing were clever about it and didn't do it all the time, so there was an element of misdirection there. But I'd be damned sure Munster will try to slow the ball down and defend like demons. An early score would be ideal for us.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

What's Stuart Berry like as a ref? not ringing any bells with me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

pc7 wrote: »

Kak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

South African guy. Don't know anything about him except that's he's going to ride Leinster and hand the game to Munster. Something something offside line something breakdown ALL DAY LONG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Anytime I've seen him this year he's not been the greatest..

Doesn't have much of a notion of what a maul is and his breakdown interpretation is sloppy at best..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

cool thanks, not exactly a ringing endorsement for free flowing rugby so!

• Advertisement

South African guy. Don't know anything about him except that's he's going to ride Leinster and hand the game to Munster. Something something offside line something breakdown ALL DAY LONG

IN THE SIDE!!!!!!

* Some terrace fans may get this one......

You predicted Tracy, quoted the team with Cronin and are surprised there's no Cronin... you've officially started trolling yourself! :D

Yeah I heard there were a good few changes so predicted that would be one, but am still surprised as he had a lot of managed time during the 6N.

Looking at that predicted team, I find it hard to believe that all of those changes are about fatigue and managing minutes, I think if it was a Champions cup final this weekend it would be a different 23.

Yeah I heard there were a good few changes so predicted that would be one, but am still surprised as he had a lot of managed time during the 6N.

Looking at that predicted team, I find it hard to believe that all of those changes are about fatigue and managing minutes, I think if it was a Champions cup final this weekend it would be a different 23.

It would, but then we wouldn't have played the same 23 last week. Last week was a real bruiser of a game. Managing guys, especially when you've the faith in their replacements, makes total sense off the back of that. Especially when you consider those guys who started last week have the match plus the celebrations to get over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    Simon Zebo; Andrew Conway, Sammy Arnold, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray;
    James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Ciaran Parker, Gerbrandt Grobler, Robin Copeland, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Darren Sweetnam.

No Chris Cloete. Pity.

Just one change from the Edinburgh game. John Ryan returns from injury to start with Stephen Archer out for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Munster:
    Simon Zebo; Andrew Conway, Sammy Arnold, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray;
    James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Ciaran Parker, Gerbrandt Grobler, Robin Copeland, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Darren Sweetnam.

No Chris Cloete. Pity.

Just one change from the Edinburgh game. John Ryan returns from injury to start with Stephen Archer out for the season.

I can’t see your backrow there, oh wait no, that will be tomorrow.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Joey Carbery (35)
    14. Jordan Larmour (20)
    13. Garry Ringrose (48)
    12. Isa Nacewa (183) CAPTAIN
    11. James Lowe (11)
    10. Ross Byrne (48)
    9. Luke McGrath (93)
    1. Jack McGrath (131)
    2. Seán Cronin (151)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (82)
    4. Devin Toner (216)
    5. James Ryan (13)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (140)
    7. Jordi Murphy (105)
    8. Jack Conan (72)

16. James Tracy (64)
    17. Cian Healy (189)
    18. Andrew Porter (28)
    19. Scott Fardy (20)
    20. Max Deegan (20)
    21. Nick McCarthy (26)
    22. Rory O’Loughlin (40)
    23. Barry Daly (26)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So are Sexton, Kearney, Leavy injured or rested?

errlloyd wrote: »

Injured, rested, rested

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Joey Carbery (35)
    14. Jordan Larmour (20)
    13. Garry Ringrose (48)
    12. Isa Nacewa (183) CAPTAIN
    11. James Lowe (11)
    10. Ross Byrne (48)
    9. Luke McGrath (93)
    1. Jack McGrath (131)
    2. Seán Cronin (151)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (82)
    4. Devin Toner (216)
    5. James Ryan (13)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (140)
    7. Jordi Murphy (105)
    8. Jack Conan (72)

16. James Tracy (64)
    17. Cian Healy (189)
    18. Andrew Porter (28)
    19. Scott Fardy (20)
    20. Max Deegan (20)
    21. Nick McCarthy (26)
    22. Rory O’Loughlin (40)
    23. Barry Daly (26)

Lowe, Ringrose, Larmour and Carbery. If the pack can get on top and Byrne gets that backline going...oh, boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Rested

stephen_n wrote: »
    I can’t see your backrow there, oh wait no, that will be tomorrow.

Bravo sir, bravo. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭durthacht

Rested

Sexton is injured right?

durthacht wrote: »
    Sexton is injured right?

I'd say that for a Pro14 semi-final, he's injured.

If it was the European final tomorrow, he'd be playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd say that for a Pro14 semi-final, he's injured.

If it was the European final tomorrow, he'd be playing

If Ireland did not have three tests next month, he would not be injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just a quick note, I was having a look at the minutes racked up by various people. Devon Toner has played around 1800 minutes this season, 1266 for Leinster and 409 for Ireland. I am not sure anyone else in that Leinster 23 is over 1500 total, so some amount of work he's done for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Just a quick note, I was having a look at the minutes racked up by various people. Devon Toner has played around 1800 minutes this season, 1266 for Leinster and 409 for Ireland. I am not sure anyone else in that Leinster 23 is over 1500 total, so some amount of work he's done for us.

Taking into account stride length, that is enough Devon to make it to Mars and back.

Oooohhhhh, this is getting interesting now. Looking at those squads I think Leinster shade it up front on paper anyway. Our midfield is probably better, with the back 3 being a tough one to call. But Leinster have the better bench. Again on paper. If our heads are right and our recovery from the weekend was good then we should win this. The only concerns I'd have with the starting XV would be how fit Rhys is and how Ross Byrne performs after a few tough weeks in the last month.

Munster have a good front row, a workmanlike second row and a talented but unbalanced back row. It's a pack that could deliver a performance, but also one that this Leinster pack should be able to get on top of. Especially at home. JJH hasn't really shown very much at 10 to date and Munsters centres simply aren't as good as Leinsters. The back 3 is where Munster look their most dangerous and where they could gain an edge. But our back 3 are no slouches either. Possibly some defensive or positioning issues in there, but the attacking threat is pretty obvious. Leinsters impact on the bench up front is pretty huge. Porter vs Parker, Fardy vs Grobler and Deegan vs Copeland are all clear wins for Leinster IMO.

It all comes down to the off-paper stuff though. If Leinsters heads aren't in it then it could be a tough day. Munster won't be short of intent or motivation. We just need to make sure we aren't either. Match them there and I think we win it.

Keet up against Larmour is a fascinating matchup.

Keet up against Larmour is a fascinating matchup.

The hot steppers???? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

molloyjh wrote: »
    The hot steppers???? :cool:

They'll just keep stepping each other and it'll end up looking like a glitch in the Matrix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats a lot of somewhat leaky outside backs on the pitch for Leinster all at once, and more on the bench.

Im not damning them all, but if Benetton and Connacht could do what they did, Earls, Zebo and Murray will lick their lips.

I wouldnt have rested Robert Kearney.

• Advertisement
Advertisement