Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster v Munster Semi final Build up thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The competition between the two backrows will be very interesting. I would have loved to see Leavy play as Munster have no actual openside in their squad. He could have wreaked havoc to Munster's ball. Murphy is a good 7 but doesn't have Leavy's ground game.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭durthacht

molloyjh wrote: »
    ...The only concerns I'd have with the starting XV would be how fit Rhys is and how Ross Byrne performs after a few tough weeks in the last month.

Byrne has struggled recently alright, but behind that good pack and Luke McGrath he should get better service. The pack has been poor recently and JGP is very inconsistent, but tomorrow should be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

durthacht wrote: »
    Byrne has struggled recently alright, but behind that good pack and Luke McGrath he should get better service. The pack has been poor recently and JGP is very inconsistent, but tomorrow should be better.

To be fair to JGP, he's often behind a similar pack to the one you're referencing re Byrne. He's generally been pretty good behind a good pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

JGP has been playing quite well behind the first choice pack lately I think.

Byrne playing alongside Nacewa is just as important as his playing behind a strong pack. Isa has a calming influence on everyone around him and he'll take some of the creative responsibility off Byrne's shoulders. Will probably take goalkicking duties off him as well. He takes so much pressure off the 10's shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Hopefully Isa Nacewa gets a huge send off in his last ever game for Leinster

Hopefully Isa Nacewa gets a huge send off in his last ever game for Leinster

They have the banner ready at the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 taheen

25 messages are you serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

JGP has been playing quite well behind the first choice pack lately I think.

Thats always the problem for reserve players, they get to play with other reserve players normally. JGP has never been as bad as people make out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats a lot of somewhat leaky outside backs on the pitch for Leinster all at once, and more on the bench.

Im not damning them all, but if Benetton and Connacht could do what they did, Earls, Zebo and Murray will lick their lips.

I wouldnt have rested Robert Kearney.

Huge game for JJH. If we [Munster] can get parity at the breakdown, we should be looking to get the ball wide to attack that Leinster back three. Not knocking them, they're amazing players, but I think it's fair to say they'd be more lauded for their attacking play than their defensive abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Ross ahead of Joey again, looking good for a Munster switch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ross ahead of Joey again, looking good for a Munster switch :)

Joey and JGP for Murray. Only fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fairly clear now who is 2nd choice 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Murray, Stander and POM are going to be crucial. They've looked off form in recent weeks.

Fairly clear now who is 2nd choice 10

If they wanted to rest Kearney and otherwise have their best players on the pitch, who goes to fullback?

• Advertisement

If they wanted to rest Kearney and otherwise have their best players on the pitch, who goes to fullback?

Larmour started at 15 in the Champions Cup. Barry Daly started on the wing in the Champions Cup. If they wanted him there, he'd be there.

Murray, Stander and POM are going to be crucial. They've looked off form in recent weeks.

Murray has looked a bit flustered in a few recent games which is unlike him.

Larmour started at 15 in the Champions Cup. Barry Daly started on the wing in the Champions Cup. If they wanted him there, he'd be there.

They may just think that a combination of FB: Carberry, Wing: Larmour and 10: Byrne is a stronger collective than a combination of FB: Larmour, Wing: Daly and 10: Carberry.

It's certainly indicative that Byrne is the preferred option at 10, but I don't necessarily think it's definitive.

aloooof wrote: »
    They may just think that a combination of FB: Carberry, Wing: Larmour and 10: Byrne is a stronger collective than a combination of FB: Larmour, Wing: Daly and 10: Carberry.

It's certainly indicative that Byrne is the preferred option at 10, but I don't necessarily think it's definitive.

This is my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clegg wrote: »
    Byrne playing alongside Nacewa is just as important as his playing behind a strong pack. Isa has a calming influence on everyone around him and he'll take some of the creative responsibility off Byrne's shoulders. Will probably take goalkicking duties off him as well. He takes so much pressure off the 10's shoulders.

I’d be very surprised if Isa is kicking. If Byrne is still not right I’d imagine Carbery will be kicking.

• Advertisement

Not definitive but it's a fairly established trend at this stage.

If Carbery was Leinster's 2nd choice 10, they would use him there.

I guess the counter-argument to this is who they pick at 22 when at full strength. Last weekend is the best indication of this, with Carberry getting the nod. (Tho admittedly that's an imperfect comparison also, as the 22 jersey typically needs to cover more positions than just 10).

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out at least.

EDIT: Just a thought, but it'd be interesting to see what happens if Leinster win 2moro and Sexton is injured for the final with Rob Kearney returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

No point spending time developing him at 10 if they know he's leaving in a couple of weeks.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Finally got my jaysus tickets in the post today. Jokeshop customer service from ticketmaster - the helpline said ‘all our operators are busy, please try us again later when we will be happy to talk to you’ and then just terminated the call. This is what monopoly does to an organisation.

I guess the counter-argument to this is who they pick at 22 when at full strength. Last weekend is the best indication of this, with Carberry getting the nod. (Tho admittedly that's an imperfect comparison also, as the 22 jersey typically needs to cover more positions than just 10).

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out at least.

EDIT: Just a thought, but it'd be interesting to see what happens if Leinster win 2moro and Sexton is injured for the final with Rob Kearney returning.

Carbery would be seen as the better 22 option as he's able to cover fullback as well so that gives them further cover and allowing the 23 shirt to be centre/wing cover I guess.

There's counter arguments to both sides, personally I don't think there's a dead set second choice and the two lads are chosen between depending on the circumstances of the game/players available for the wider squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah it's just the same arguments prolonged. If Kearney was playing but Sexton wasn't, who would we pick? Or if we had an extra winger, and could play Larmour at FB, who would play 10 etc etc?

Yeah it's just the same arguments prolonged. If Kearney was playing but Sexton wasn't, who would we pick? Or if we had an extra winger, and could play Larmour at FB, who would play 10 etc etc?

So.......... what i think you're saying is you think Ross gets the shout? And Joey to Munster?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone tell me what time gates open to RDS? And how early you would need to be in to get a decent seat in unreserved section?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone tell me what time gates open to RDS? And how early you would need to be in to get a decent seat in unreserved section?

Opening at 11 to show Heaslips wedding video apparently.

Anyone else just get this email? Why wouldn't a scanning a QR code on a mobile device work? Highly inconvenient for me as I've sold on my tickets now
    Hello The A-Team!

We're sure you can't wait for Leinster Rugby V Munster Rugby at the RDS Arena, on the 19th May 2018.

Jot This Down!...

You have chosen Ticketfast-print at home option. This means your tickets are currently in your online Ticketmaster account ready to be printed.

Tickets must be printed to gain access to the event.

Mobile Devices will NOT work.

Please log onto Ticketmaster using a laptop or PC and check your Ticketmaster account online under the Order History option for your tickets.

Purchased through the Call Centre: The tickets were emailed to you directly and will not appear in your Ticketmaster account. These tickets must be printed.

Anything else?...

That's all for now, if anything else comes up, we'll be in touch.

Best Wishes,

Ticketmaster Customer Services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

molloyjh wrote: »
    The hot steppers???? :cool:

Nah

Opening at 11 to show Heaslips wedding video apparently.

Thought it would be the Royal one with it on in the RDS nah?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

POM/O'Donoghue/Stander are all very similar, is that a strength or weakness?
    Any one of them could play 6 or 8 comfortably but none of them would be quick enough to play 7.
    Can't understand why Oliver isn't starting, he's a great little openside. He would give Jordi a tough time getting to every breakdown.
    Ruddock and Conan v POM and Stander will be a great match-up to observe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don’t know the opening time but from the past you’d want to be in your seat about 15 minutes before ko to get alright seats and be sure of your party sitting together especially if there a few of you and half hour if you have a specific area you want to sit. Don’t be fooled by grabbing the seats at the walkways thinking great legroom as you’ll miss half the match with people walking in front of you.

For big games and unreserved seating I go in around 30 minutes before k/o to ensure good spot. For the terrace, 45+ minutes to get the hedge.

Ah that's grand lads, thanks lads! Try to get to TP an hour before ko and that's with a guaranteed seat so that sounds grand!

Ah that's grand lads, thanks lads! Try to get to TP an hour before ko and that's with a guaranteed seat so that sounds grand!

Yeah, people tend to hang around the bars outside in the RDS more, especially when the weather is good. So the rush to get to a seat probably isn't as mad.

I think this game could be quite interesting. A lack of real 7s, or (m)any real poachers, could see both sides retain possession for long periods potentially. Assuming they can keep the error counts low. That could mean a more open game, with the back 3s coming into it more. Could make for a very good game.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For the north and south stand if you were in 15 minutes before kick off you'd have a wide choice of seats left.

Unless you're looking to sit in the front row, it fills up fast for reasons unknown because the view is garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    For the north and south stand if you were in 15 minutes before kick off you'd have a wide choice of seats left.

Unless you're looking to sit in the front row, it fills up fast for reasons unknown because the view is garbage.

Mostly kids and parents of the minis I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/guinness-pro14/watch-luke-fitzgerald-and-alan-quinlan-pick-their-combined-leinstermunster-team-of-the-professional-era-36921881.html

Luke Fitz and Quinlan pick thier best combined Leinster/Munster team.

They would seriously struggle to be any more **** at it than that. It is appalling.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/guinness-pro14/watch-luke-fitzgerald-and-alan-quinlan-pick-their-combined-leinstermunster-team-of-the-professional-era-36921881.html

They would seriously struggle to be any more **** at it than that. It is appalling.
    To save people the hassle of clicking in and scrolling through the absolute shocking attempt at debating their selections:

Cian Healy
    Jerry Flannery
    John Hayes
    Donncha O’Callaghan
    Paul O’Connell
    Sean O’Brien
    David Wallace
    Jamie Heaslip
    Conor Murray
    Ronan O’Gara
    Keith Earls
    Gordon D’Arcy
    Brian O’Driscoll
    Doug Howlett
    Isa Nacewa

With due respect to Thomond, Hayes is a pathetically awful selection that renders the whole exercise stupid. Ross would be a lock-in pick over him, never mind Furlong. His 100 caps are a great achievement etc but I'm reluctant to relive the past and get into the ROG/Sexton thing, but Sexton should be a shoe-in at this point. Backrow is not balanced either (though I guess that's not unusual for these things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

To save people the hassle of clicking in and scrolling through the absolute shocking attempt at debating their selections:

Cian Healy
    Jerry Flannery
    John Hayes
    Donncha O’Callaghan
    Paul O’Connell
    Sean O’Brien
    David Wallace
    Jamie Heaslip
    Conor Murray
    Ronan O’Gara
    Keith Earls
    Gordon D’Arcy
    Brian O’Driscoll
    Doug Howlett
    Isa Nacewa

I'd agree with Healy and Flannery
    Furlong over Hayes and Ross. Hayes over Ross though.
    Donncha just shades Toner. But it's close.
    POC agreed. James Ryan will be there as his partner very soon.
    Agree with entire back row.
    Agree with Murray.
    Sexton over ROG but it's a close thing.
    Earls yes.
    Howlett yes.
    Darcy and O Driscoll yes.
    Nacewa had to be in there somewhere.

So I have 4 Leinster forwards and 4 Munster forwards
    A half back from each
    3 Leinster outside backs and the 2 wingers from Munster.

Think that's balanced to be fair.

Sexton over ROG but it's a close thing.

Screw it, it's a Leinster-Munster thread :D

No it isn't. It isn't close at all.

• Advertisement

If we're including foreigners then Thorn is in the second row with O'Connell.

Every time I think I've finalised the list I remember someone else. I'd love to see this done comprehensively, would make an interesting 23.

Hayes wouldn't make the A team - sorry, not sorry thomond.

What channel is this match on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Screw it, it's a Leinster-Munster thread :D

No it isn't. It isn't close at all.

It really isn't. ROG was a great player but had such a major flaw with his tackling/lightweightness. Sexton is a country mile better than him in every facet bar maybe kicking (but the gap there isn't that big)

Trojan wrote: »
    What channel is this match on?

Sky and TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ryan Wilson post match interview there “forgot” that Munster were still in with a chance to make the final, just wished Scarlets well in their final against Leinster...

• Advertisement
Advertisement