Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with busking permits?

Options
13»

Comments

inisboffin wrote:
    I can see how you read Mrs O's comment with a different slant. I honestly read it differently, and she confirmed that was the meaning. I think it was that it seemed ok to slag off one person with a disability and not another, and if it was down to just artistic merit then an opinion was offered.

inisboffin wrote:
    I have people that I love with Down's in my life. I can tell you pity doesn't rank high on their list of favourite things. People slag off one person with a disability that's not visible yet are angry when people talk about (their perception of) another's playing. I am delighted that both these musicians live in a place where they have the freedom to express themselves. Yeah if some think they aren't great then the next act will be along soon. Fair play to both of them I say, whether I rank one over the other or not is immaterial.

More the generalisation that people with DS are in here eyes bad musicians that is off putting. The fact that she has to refer to the fact that he has DS at all is worrying. It's not the first time that she has had a snide go at someone on here. The way people tall about strangers says a lot and someone who makes unkind generalisations about a while group of people is not a very nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

More the generalisation that people with DS are in here eyes bad musicians that is off putting. The fact that she has to refer to the fact that he has DS at all is worrying. It's not the first time that she has had a snide go at someone on here. The way people tall about strangers says a lot and someone who makes unkind generalisations about a while group of people is not a very nice person.

People with Downs are bad AND good musicians (and singers, dancers, chatters etc). They are people like everyone else. Maybe it's that I know people with Down's but I would have never made the connection between the comment and that all DS people are bad musicians. People, on the other hand were calling out another musician with a disability and nobody was saying boo. I agree with you Darko, that people can often talk about someone they don't know on here, but I also think we hear different things when typed. I wish both those lads well. Charity buskers with kids will have a whole other problem on their hands with the 'parent present' law at Christmas for the carols!

inisboffin wrote:
    People with Downs are bad AND good musicians (and singers, dancers, chatters etc). They are people like everyone else. Maybe it's that I know people with Down's but I would have never made the connection between the comment and that all DS people are bad musicians. People, on the other hand were calling out another musician with a disability and nobody was saying boo. I agree with you Darko, that people can often talk about someone they don't know on here, but I also think we hear different things when typed. I wish both those lads well. Charity buskers with kids will have a whole other problem on their hands with the 'parent present' law at Christmas for the carols!

You are missing the point, the poster implied that all people with DS are bad musicians. There are no two ways to read it, they posted that the fiddler with DS was better than most with DS but that the standard was low from people with down syndrome. Go back and read it again, they were have a snide go at a whole group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are missing the point, the poster implied that all people with DS are bad musicians. There are no two ways to read it, they posted that the fiddler with DS was better than most with DS but that the standard was low from people with down syndrome. Go back and read it again, they were have a snide go at a whole group of people.

Ok, so I phrased it badly.

Shoulda said "Fiddle-guy is a lot better musician than the other musicians and singers that I know who happen to have DS, but ... "

My bad, making a statement based on my own experience instead of a researched study.

Shoulda said "Fiddle-guy is a lot better musician than the other musicians and singers that I know who happen to have DS, but ... "

I do forget that you are an expert in everything. Funny how you often generalize and then row back when called on it. The fact that you felt the need to refer to the fact that busker had any disability says everything we need to know about you.

Also, just to point out Aspergers syndrome is technically not a disability. There is generally no learning disability associated with having aspergers and most people who suffer from it having average or above average intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I do forget that you are an expert in everything. Funny how you often generalize and then row back when called on it. The fact that you felt the need to refer to the fact that busker had any disability says everything we need to know about you.

Also, just to point out Aspergers syndrome is technically not a disability. There is generally no learning disability associated with having aspergers and most people who suffer from it having average or above average intelligence.

Well said, shame on your mrs o bumble, hope you have a long hard look at yourself. Keyboards warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

just to point out Aspergers syndrome is technically not a disability. There is generally no learning disability associated with having aspergers and most people who suffer from it having average or above average intelligence.

Why does it have to be an ability competition? People with Aspergers are often of high intelligence and often DO have a problem with social interaction (certain) learning skills etc. The musician in question busks to overcome and work on this. Nobody should be put down for that and we never know what is going on in someone's life that they need a bit of music for mental, financial or other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well said, shame on your mrs o bumble, hope you have a long hard look at yourself. Keyboards warrior
    Multiple keyboards?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just for the record, this is how the City Tribune reports the voting of councillors. Might be worth keeping in mind at the next election.

Voted for the ban:
    • Collette Connolly
    • Declan McDonnell
    • Donal Lyons
    • Mike Crowe
    • Noel Larkin
    • Ollie Crowe
    • Peter Keane - proposed the by-laws
    • Terry O'Flaherty
    • casting vote: Pierce Flannery

Voted against the ban:
    • Billy Cameron
    • Catal O'Conchuir
    • Frank Fahy
    • John Walsh
    • Mairead Farrell
    • Mark Lohan
    • Mike Cubbard
    • Niall McNeilus
    • Padraig Conneeley

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Like the mighty Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin, although not a busker as such, but a ground breaking electronic musician. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I sometimes busk on Quay St, usually at the derelict bit near the craft jewellery shop place and where Blake's Restaurant used to be. Sometimes I'm with a musician, a flute player and sometimes I go out with a harmonica player playing reels, jigs and hornpipes etc and then sometimes I'll do Christy Moore songs (Late 70s early 80s era, some Planxty) and maybe some Dick Gaughan songs too. But come 6 O'Clock (In September, that is), I'll take my ipod and mini speaker and play a few trad solo albums to which I will accompany on the bodhran or I might go off in some sporadic lilting if the mood takes. I used to busk a lot more back in the early 90s right up to the noughties, got a few gigs then but it looks like I'll be coming back on the streets again as times are hard and it is a handy bit of income if you can get it. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The thread has strayed far beyond the topic.
    I have removed some posts that discusses personal issues some buskers may have.

Thread is closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement