Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purple shrub died over winter.. identify?

Options
  • 14-05-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    One of our lovely plant/shrubs died over winter - am guessing due to the snow.
    I never knew what it was called. I have a picture from last summer. Does anybody know what it is called?
    t53rev.jpg

Large bushy plant, approx 1.5x1.5m. Long stems with leaves going up. Small purple flowers along stem and bunched at head. Would form weird pods on some stems during flowering season (usually was may to late summer).

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's an everlasting wallflower (Erisymum)..not very hardy or long lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ceikiv

It's an everlasting wallflower (Erisymum)..not very hardy or long lived.

Thanks very much! This particular one had lasted a few years and always gave a great colour all through summer. The snow must have been its last straw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you're lucky there may be some seedlings from the weird pods you described growing around the base which can be potted and transplanted at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

ceikiv wrote: »
    Thanks very much! This particular one had lasted a few years and always gave a great colour all through summer. The snow must have been its last straw :)

Have enjoyed growing these myself as they are great for long lived flowering. The picture looks like the Bowles's Mauve variety which are usually available as smaller plants from good garden centers. Good healthy ones could be over 6 euros each but I've got smaller ones and bargain/clearance shelf ones to grow well for much less. They usually get through their first winter when they are small without trouble. Managed to have a few bigger ones survive the winter just gone but as they get older they loose their shape and don't look as good with many of the flowering stems dying back.

Was in touch with a horticultural advisor via email and asked was I doing something wrong to make them die out when they are sold as perennials and they said they do normally just die after a couple of years unless grown in very dry conditions. Had some non flowering stems trimmed off by the local hare and tried to salvage the situation by trying to get them going as cuttings (with no rooting powder) and have had about 20 to 50% success with them surviving. Just planted some of these out this week so hoping they grow as well as the shop bought ones. If you do buy a replacement you should consider taking a few cuttings as well to replace the older one down the line.

Advertisement